Contribute
Register

Direct Update to macOS Sierra using Clover

Hi thanks ever so much, will I still need to do the above as I have changed to ati4870 and I no longer need to type nv_disable=1 to stop the black screen kernel panic I can fully load past the apple screen with the bar going nicely to the top it then opens grey whitish screen with a mouse cursor but a second or two later it's stuck on coloured spinning wheel. Same as old gtx graphics card that was in before but needed the nv_disable=1 to get past kernel panic ?
Thanks for your help
G
Hi. Here's an update I tried the other way to install sierra using USB from unibeast it worked since I removed the old nvidia gtx card and replaced with my old hd4870.
Thanks everyone for your replies and kind help.
Gemma

Last edited:
I found a SSD with a backup of my El Cap boot disk and I decided to upgrade it to Sierra. Try as I might, I can't get Sierra installed properly on this (USB) disk.
I copied my working EFI folder to the EFI of the SSD, updated Clover (for the SSD) for good measure, downloaded the Sierra installer, installed to the SSD, rebooted, chose the Sierra Install partition but whatever the boot options I will get stuck(black screen, computer on, stalled, no reboots) at some point in the second part of the Sierra install, I get the prohibited sign, or ACPI errors, etc. It just doesn't work. I wiped the SSD, did a fresh install, copied EFI from working El Cap again, still black screen.
I'm using iMac 17,1 profile. Can't change this because it will break some of my software licenses.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Hi. Here's an update I tried the other way to install sierra using USB from unibeast it worked since I removed the old nvidia gtx card and replaced with my old hd4870.
Thanks everyone for your replies and kind help.
Gemma

OK, Gemmaj, good luck. As a very last thing, I would suggest you, if you did not yet:
  1. to make use of the DSDT-GA-EP45-UD3R-1.0-F12.aml available at tonymacx86's DSDT Database page, under Gigabyte P45 chipset, and place it (I guess renamed to DSDT.aml) in the right place inside di /EFI/CLOVER folder (should be EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched);
  2. to use a system definition other than MacPro 3.1/4.1, which are not supported by Sierra,by using Clover Configurator at the smbios section, clicking the magic wand on the right side.
Again, good lock.
G.

Last edited:
Well I decided to give it a go and update to Sierra and couldn't. The logo screen and progress bar appear and load all the way till the end and then it hangs. I tried so many different things... deleted the 10.x folders, got a new FakeSMC updated my Clover, both the boot and the app, NADA!
I used -v and here's where it hangs. Any ideas? suggestions? I'd really appreciate it. Thank you!

Attachments

• File Mar 14, 12 53 49 PM.jpeg
    File Mar 14, 12 53 49 PM.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 158
Well I decided to give it a go and update to Sierra and couldn't. The logo screen and progress bar appear and load all the way till the end and then it hangs. I tried so many different things... deleted the 10.x folders, got a new FakeSMC updated my Clover, both the boot and the app, NADA!
I used -v and here's where it hangs. Any ideas? suggestions? I'd really appreciate it. Thank you!
This is a guide not a help thread, consider opening a thread of your own in Sierra Desktop Support.
Also consider disabling the Serial port (SuperIO) in your BIOS settings.

Will do, thank you!

Hi there,
I have a Dell Inspiron 3847 running EL Capitan and I am trying to get it upgraded to Sierra.
I have followed the instructions and get the Install Boot Sierra startup option after rebooting/running the sierra app
I also copied all the kexts from the library kexts folder (unhiding files) and copying them into the EFI other folder - so far so good
I have struggled to get the without caches flag from Clover Boot menu so resorted to using -f in the parameter text, as well as -v for verbose mode. However, these ARE picked up when I boot from the Install Sierra option.

The system starts all the way up until it gets to the information in the attached pic (it takes ages from the Supported channels bit) and after the last line of text I get a black screen with white Apple logo, a blank start up bar, with a mouse pointer. At this stage it freezes and never moves past this stage

Can anyone help me please, as I must be close ?!

Thanks very much (in advance)
TK :)

P.S. ignore the play button on the picture, I just video'd the screen and then took a screen shot at the right part.

Attachments

• IMG_8692.PNG
    IMG_8692.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 132
Can anyone help me please, as I must be close ?

This is a guide not a help thread, consider opening a thread of your own in Sierra Desktop Support.

Please comply with the rules :

The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you

Please comply with the rules :

OK, will do .. understood and apologies.

Thanks for the quick reply :)

The update from El Capitan to Sierra went flawlessly on my old Xeon E5450 based Hackintosh using the latest Clover bootloader.

@tatomi92

Can you share your EFI folder? I had Pentium Dual core working fine in El Capitan. After installing Xeon E5450, macOS doesn't boot at all, it shows progress bar at 0% and couple seconds later monitor dies. Computer boots fine into Windows. (using ms-7525 boston mobo).

Back