i7-6700k
Graphics
GTX 980 Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Yes, and also tried updating via an internal SATA drive. Still no luck.
Maybe you have old incompatible kext for usb? Try disabling usb3 in bios.

Motherboard
GA Z97M D3H
CPU
i5 4690
Graphics
intel HD 4600
Mac
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
I encountoured a strange bios freeze at the end of update (after second reboot). The hackintosh was completly stuck on the BIOS screen (keyboard wasn't working). I tried pulling up the SSD/HDD sata cables, but it was still stuck . I finally managed to boot sierra by removing one of both 8 GB RAM chip.
Now sierra is booting with both RAM chips.

Afterwards I tested memory with memory86 test tool : no error found.
Tested disks with Disk Utility on recovery boot: no error

I can't explain why the update from el capitan to sierra led to this BIOS problem.

Anyway sierra is working properly now

Motherboard
Z370-HD3
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Went like clockwork. Legacy BIOS clover, with latest update. Followed the instructions at the beginning of the thread. Worked perfectly. Trim support still enabled, HDMI audio working perfectly and blu-ray drive still recognized and working. Haven't had to do anything (yet). A bit shocked TBH. Figured my crappy old Z68x with F12 would be a nightmare.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5
CPU
i5-4570
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Finally SUCCESS!!!

Many battles lost but i won the war. I was getting endless "uptime in nanoseconds" KP. Upgrade over El Capitan or fresh install, it didn't matter, that KP was following me like crazy. Couldn't finish the installation at all. So, I removed GPU, booted with "nv_disable=1" and installation finished with no errors. Set up Clover Bootloader, connected GPU back and tried to boot to Sierra but this time i was getting KP for NVDAStartup.kext related to IOPCFamily.kext. I took those kexts from working El Capitan build, placed them to S/L/E and rebuild caches. Booted to sierra with no problem. Reinstalled Voodoo and Ethernet kexts and Sierra is running great.

The only problem i have is that my WiFi is randomly disconnects/drops , gets slow or delayed. I can see that many Mac owners have the same issue. I've tried to reset it, deleting files in SystemConfiguration folder and rebuild it again butt no luck. I have Atheros 9280, native support card. I remember there was AirPortAtheros.kext inside of IO80211Family.kext in Snow Leopard.
Anyone with WiFi issues?

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5
CPU
i5-4570
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
UPDATE: Actually, I found AirportAtheros40.kext, which is right driver for Atheros 9280 inside of IO80211Family.kext.
My question is, will adding specific #ID to the Info.plist help to make my WiFi more stable?

Screen Shot 2016-10-19 at 2.56.42 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-10-19 at 2.57.00 AM.png

Motherboard
Z77X-UD5H
CPU
i7 3770k
Graphics
GTX 1060
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
IMG_1335.JPG

Direct Update to macOS Sierra using Clover

Established Clover users on OS X El Capitan who wish to update directly to macOS Sierra can do so just like a regular Mac would. This fully native method requires no USB creation or preparation.

Before you begin, we strongly recommend performing a full backup of your existing system using Carbon Copy Cloner. By doing this, you can always go back to your working OS X El Capitan installation.

1. Download the latest version of Clover from sourceforge and update your existing Clover install.

2. Open Clover configuration folder on the root of your system drive or EFI Partition using EFI Mounter v3. Copy FakeSMC.kext and any other extra necessary kexts to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/. If you need essential kexts, download them here.

3. Download Install macOS Sierra Application from the Mac App Store. When complete, the app will open. Please note, the Application will disappear after use.

4. Choose system drive for install (Example: Macintosh HD). When complete, the computer will automatically reboot.

5. When Clover boot screen appears, choose Boot macOS Install option (Example: Boot macOS Install from Macintosh HD). Choosing your system drive will go back to your previous installation without updating. Press spacebar to enter Boot Options and choose Without Caches option and/or Inject Kexts option then Boot Mac OS X with selected options.

6. Complete the installation process. When complete, the computer will automatically reboot.

7. When Clover boot screen appears, choose Boot Mac OS X option (Example: Boot Mac OS X from Macintosh HD). The computer will then complete the update.

:thumbup:

Related:

macOS Sierra is Now Available on the Mac App Store
Some Broadcom mini-PCIe Devices Unsupported in macOS Sierra
macOS Sierra Does NOT Boot with MacPro3,1 MacPro4,1 System Definitions

Apple Releases macOS Sierra 'Golden Master' GM Candidate to Beta Testers
macOS Sierra Upgrade Available on September 20th
macOS Sierra Public Beta 7 is Now Available
macOS Sierra Public Beta 6 is Now Available
macOS Sierra Public Beta 5 is Now Available
macOS Sierra Public Beta 4 is Now Available
macOS Sierra Public Beta 3 is Now Available
macOS Sierra Public Beta 2 is Now Available
macOS Sierra Public Beta is Now Available
How to Create a macOS Sierra Public Beta Installation USB
NVIDIA Releases Alternate Graphics Drivers for macOS Sierra 10.12 Beta
Introducing the macOS Sierra Critter!
Sierra Desktop Support
Sierra Desktop Guides
Sierra Laptop Support
Sierra Laptop Guides
Apple Reveals macOS Sierra at WWDC - Available Fall 2016
tonymacx86 Clover Theme

Hey guys, I tried to update my el captain to OS X sierra, with clover, as you said. Before I downloaded OS X sierra, I've updated clover to newest version.

Until clover boot screen everything seems working, but I can't find the options "without caches" and/or "inject kexts" can anybody help me? Thanks!

Last edited:
Motherboard
Z77X-UD5H
CPU
i7 3770k
Graphics
GTX 1060
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
View attachment 216507

Hey guys, I tried to update my el captain to OS X sierra, with clover, as you said. Before I downloaded OS X sierra, I've updated clover to newest version.

Until clover boot screen everything seems working, but I can't find the options "without caches" and/or "inject kexts" can anybody help me? Thanks!

So finally I fixed the problem by myself, updating was successful.
On Clover Bootloader select "Boot macOS Install", then press Spacebar and select "Set Nvidia to VESA (nv_disable-1)" then get up and select "Boot macOS with selected options"

Everything worked for me, updating was very smooth and without any other troubles!

Motherboard
GA-B75M-D3H
CPU
i3-3225@3.29 GHz
Graphics
GeForce GTX 650
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys,

maybe stupid question, but would really appreciate your advice.

I am currently running El Capitan with Chimera. I would like to move to Clover and Sierra. Can I do it in same step?

Meaning:
- should I move to Clover first and then update to Sierra using first post in this topic, or
- can I move to Clover and update to Sierra in same step?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Kind regards,

N.