Contribute
Register

Direct Update to macOS Sierra using Clover

Vanilla flavour installs did not work. So I had to resort to installing Sierra from El Cap onto a separate drives. El Cap kexts are in its own 10.11 folder and Sierra kexts are in its own 10.Other folder. But they both share the same config.plist file, no? Therefore audio and video changes made to one OS will probably affect the other OS.

I'm not saying that Apple's installer modifies Clover's config.plist. I said that each drive had its own NVRAM.plist file in its root, therefore it works with the UEFI BIOS.

For help you need to provide accurate diagnosis, detailed information, reasons why your installation/update failed and report them in the correct forums to which you will receive the appropriate response, other than trolling multiple posts saying "its does not work" over and over. I've been trying to a complete a comprehensive, respectful reply to all your negative posts but I cannot find any words to do so.

Last edited:
In my case, I couldn't get Sierra to install through UniBeast, so I created two UniBeast sticks on my work machine. Neither worked. So I had to resort to installing Sierra from El Cap. When I finally got Sierra working correctly, El Cap video and audio blew up. When I got El Cap video and audio working correctly, Sierra audi and video blew up. El Cap kext files are in its own 10.11 folder and Sierra kext files are in "Other"folder. But both are using the same Config.plist file, no? Trying to install Clover v3726 onto the Sierra disk EFI parition did not work, even when I specifically told it to save it there. I eventually just deleted the Sierra EFI partition.

Your experiences may be different, especially since I use Legacy boot loader because I have W10 and two different Linuxes at the same time as El Cap and Sierra - all on separate drives and you're probably using UEFI boot loader. If that's the case and one goes and connects and disconnects drives under UEFI one may experience some problems. I'm not the type to resort to clearing the BIOS anytime I have a problem, although I did update my BIOS after copying the old BIOS to the backup area. After that it was just a matter of booting in Safe Mode into El Cap, deleting the audio kext, uninstalling the nVidia WebDriver, running MultiBeast to install just the audio driver, rebooting, installing the video driver.
The issue isn't whether or not you had a problem with the update, my comment was based on providing the correct info to the OP. OSX installer.app cannot modify Clover in any way... Now with that said, I've created Sierra installers with both Unibeast and "Createinstallmedia" without issue. The first dev preview had a problem with Clover which is what prompted the Clover updates for Sierra. The first working version I remember was 3651 and we're now on 3778, I have run every version since 3651 with Sierra and ElCap with some minor issues here and there, but they've all worked.

While dual booting ElCap and Sierra early they required different config files (very minor changes) which are easy chosen in the Clover GUI so that's never been an issue in my mind. You are the only person I've seen that runs legacy on a Z97 board and I'm guessing that's because you can't make UEFI work properly, or maybe you don't want to reinstall Windoze to EFI. Problems with UEFI aren't a surprise with ASRock boards, their bios absolutely sucks when trying to run OSX (decent win boards though).

The point being is the large % of users here are noobies that don't need to be bogged down with incorrect info that takes them further off track, of course that's why they are pointed to the guides. Please don't take this post personally it's not intended that way. Additionally, if at some time you decide to take a spare drive and test CloverUEFI there's many here that can and will help...

Vanilla flavour installs did not work. So I had to resort to installing Sierra from El Cap onto a separate drives. El Cap kexts are in its own 10.11 folder and Sierra kexts are in its own 10.Other folder. But they both share the same config.plist file, no? Therefore audio and video changes made to one OS will probably affect the other OS.

I'm not saying that Apple's installer modifies Clover's config.plist. I said that each drive had its own NVRAM.plist file in its root, therefore it works with the UEFI BIOS.
Easy fix: Boot Clover UEFI, install Windoze EFI, then talk to "Going Bald" 'bout booting your Linux drives...

Last edited:
If you're like me, and you always seem to have video card issues with OS X install boots, don't panic. I booted into the install after doing an App Store upgrade and was presented with a jacked up gray screen with horizontal lines. But my HDD indicator light was blinking like something was actually working, so I let it go. 15 minutes later an auto-reboot occurred, and clover no longer reported my drive as "Install OS X", but instead it's original label. Booting normally from there gave me an expected and legible install progress bar.

Moral: If your HDD is working, let it run it's course. You'll probably be fine.

UPDATE:

Thanks for your hard work, admins! After running Toleda's sound patching util, everything's all good with this update.

Last edited:
MultiBeast for Sierra should be out shortly and you can update your build.

Or for Ethernet, get the latest kext from the kext download section, put it on your Desktop, unzip it and remove your older Ethernet kext from both the /EFI/.../kexts/ and /L/E/ folders. Run KextBeast and choose the /L/E/ folder. Reboot.

After you get Ethernet back, download toleda's audio script from his guide Sierra Desktop/Realtek AppleHDA Audio.

Stork,
I followed your steps and now my built in Ethernet port shows up in my system report.
Thank you!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-30 at 9.02.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-30 at 9.02.46 PM.png
    96.2 KB · Views: 169
Whenever i try to boot into the install macOS partition it gives me a can't perform kext scan: no kext summary. I have the FakeSMC.kext in the /EFI/CLOVER/kext/other. I don't know why this is happening

Following Stork's usual excellent guide, I upgraded my system as follows:

1. Updated Clover to r3773. Rebooted fine.
  2. Downloaded/copied FakeSMC.ktext to EFI/EFI/Clover/ktexts/Other
  3. Launched Sierra installer
  4. Selected "Boot from installer" at Clover boot screen - no caches, w/kexts
  5. Installer did its thing, rebooted.
  6. Success: iMessages, iCloud, App Store, Sound, and TRIM all working fine.
  7. nVidia prompted to upgrade drivers, downloaded and installed.
  8. On reboot, I get a "NO SIGNAL" to my monitor just prior to login screen. Tried both HDMI and DVI outputs, same result. Also tried nv_disable=1 (kernel panic) and nvda_drv=1 (no signal). Can boot via my El Cap USB (Clover r3320) with no problems though.
UPDATE: Followed SexyTaco's guide in this thread, and OLDSPORT's post #8 in it to get everything working via HDMI... DVI remains problematic to have plugged in at time of boot, but I can live with that. iMessage, Facetime, sleep, audio, App Store and TRIM all as expected on my backup hard drive. Plan on migrating the main drive over this weekend.

Last edited:
Following Stork's usual excellent guide, ...
Just a minor correction. tonymacx86 wrote the guide; I write the backup first procedure (Post #2). Nevertheless, we appreciate your gratitude.

...I upgraded my system as follows:

1. Updated Clover to r3773. Rebooted fine.
  2. Downloaded/copied FakeSMC.ktext to EFI/EFI/Clover/ktexts/Other
  3. Launched Sierra installer
  4. Selected "Boot from installer" at Clover boot screen - no caches, w/kexts
  5. Installer did its thing, rebooted.
  6. Success: iMessages, iCloud, App Store, Sound, and TRIM all working fine.
  7. nVidia prompted to upgrade drivers, downloaded and installed.
  8. On reboot, I get a "NO SIGNAL" to my monitor just prior to login screen. Tried both HDMI and DVI outputs, same result. Also tried nv_disable=1 (kernel panic) and nvda_drv=1 (no signal). Can boot via my El Cap USB (Clover r3320) with no problems though.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The latest Clover requires you to modify your config.plist file for the Nvidia drivers. See tonymacx86's sticky thread in the Graphics fourm section: New Method for Enabling NVIDIA Web Drivers in Clover.

Back