Contribute
Register

Direct clean install 10.14.4 on NUC8i7BEH with minimal tweaks [10.14.5 Success]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Normally as 10.14.5 update worked smoothly,

Hi, I got my NUC today, the BIOS is v64, I upgrade to v71
then install 10.14.5 without problem.
The 32GB RAM & UMAX 1TB PCIe M.2 also works fine.
Thanks for your great intro.

Hi everyone, I wanted to ask for your feedback on a couple of things, hopefully you've experimented a little like myself.

a) I am still getting the yellow front-panel LED working intermittently, i.e. not everytime and not every reboot. Does your NUC's HDD yellow LED works all the time? And if yes, how did you manage it? I have personally loaded mine with both NVMe and SSD as storage but... can't figure out what's wrong. Perhaps BIOS v56 has an issue.

b) Do you have fan RPM readings in any of monitoring tools available?

This feature is directly dependent on FakeSMC's plugins on older hacks. On my old NUC, the plugin org.hwsensors.driver.LPCSensors detects OK my Nuvoton NCT6776F chipset that controls the fan, and I get readings. Do you have managed this yet?

Intel's motherboard documentation shows that our NUC8ixBEHx uses the ITE IT8987E-VG chipset (ID = 0x8987) but doesn't seem to be detected by plugins, as it's rather new.

Despite FakeSMC being available for a long time, it seems abandonware (the original one) and I have not found a build that's maintained so far (like RehabMan's repository) except HWSensors3 effort over at SourceForge.

3) For this reason above, I tried VirtualSMC and plugins as a total replacement to FakeSMC (be careful) as they are a pretty recent project that's bound to evolve much more but no support for our ITE chipset yet. Have anyone been using it? Is it stable for you? Latest version v1.0.4 causes my system to become unstable, though...

You can find VirtualSMC at https://github.com/acidanthera/VirtualSMC
You can find HWSensors3 at https://sourceforge.net/projects/hwsensors3.hwsensors.p/

Please be sure you know what you do if you experiment using VirtualSMC, you need to totally remove FakeSMC and its plugins and read their instructions on how to install VirtualSMC.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I have the i5 bean nuc, the guide worked perfectly. I had to use iMac 16.2 though and the best geekbench I could get is 34,000. When I put in the fakeid's it just gets worse. But I'm happy it's a nice under the 42" 1080p TV.

Running the install on NUC8i7BEH2. Had to downgrade BIOS to 56 as indicated in the original guide otherwise the setup wouldn't start. Currently observing a situation where setup freezes on the first stage (not reboots were made). It does not react to keyboard or mouse, CPU fans keep running as if there's a significant load on CPU and HDD LED is not showing activity....

Last edited:
With my Intel NUC I also use Dell 4k monitor connected to NUC using a USB-C to Display Port cable. With this guide after installer starts it displays properly maintaining a valid screen resolution and scaling so that UI looks very nice.

However, my problem remains. I have checked all BIOS settings, clover config, etc. to the best of my understanding but still my installer just hangs after copying files with the last message in the installation log being
Code:
osinstallersetupd[613]: ROM Features returned: 4254069862

Fans keep spinning at a high speed and judging by the temperature of the air coming out of the NUC - it does have some load because that air is quite hot. I am not too sure what exactly it is doing but it never stops...

I use Mojave 10.14.5 installer, NUC8i7BEH2, Samsung EVO 970 PRO 512Gb. I'd greatly appreciate any hints.

Can it be because of USB-C and display port? Should I try HDMI instead? What else may be the reason?

Last edited:
Running the install on NUC8i7BEH2. Had to downgrade BIOS to 56 as indicated in the original guide otherwise the setup wouldn't start. Currently observing a situation where setup freezes on the first stage (not reboots were made). It does not react to keyboard or mouse, CPU fans keep running as if there's a significant load on CPU and HDD LED is not showing activity....

How u downgrade? I couldn't make it

I am on BIOS 73 and downgrading to 56 doesnt seem to work anymore. I tried the bios jumper, holding 3 seconds..etc

it just goes blank after trying the bios recovery.

I did get to boot but not with the instructions here, i used https://www.hackintosh-forum.de/forum/thread/40237-intel-nuc-bean-canyon-nuc8i7beh/ which strictly used the macbook smbios (which this post does not)

the overall experience wasnt very stable so i had to revert back to windows. so two questions:

1. has anyone been able to downgrade from 73 bios?
2. what smbios are you using?

Last edited:
I guess I'll just answer myself.

I can confirm that you do NOT need to be on BIOS 56. I am using BIOS 73 (latest as of time of writing).

You do need to make one change to the config file (for both install config and final). Add the following to DSDT fixes:
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>Fix NUC BIOS DSDT Device(RTC)</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>oAqTU1RBUwE=</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>oAqRCv8L//8=</data>
</dict>

fix credit goes to nickhx

Finally, and I cannot stress this enough CHANGE the smbios to MacBookPro15,2. (disable mobile option though) as it has the correct CPU and GPU configuration.

I haven't tested it thoroughly, but Geekbench shows ... well take a look:

This is Windows:
Windows.png

This is MacMini (this guide):

Macmini.png

And now Macbook Pro:

Macbook.png

Changing the SMBIOS to MacBookPro15,2 FIXES sleep/hibernate and Powernap now works.

note: tests were taken on 10.14.6 (18G84)

I really hope @konsti can test these changes for himself and update the post so it doesnt get burried in this post, as this change literally makes this NUC close to perfect (if only bluetooth/wifi worked)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back