Contribute
Register

Direct clean install 10.14.4 on NUC8i7BEH with minimal tweaks [10.14.5 Success]

Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATE: 16 May 2019
Intel released BIOS v71 with a lot of changes, nuking completely previous versions in the Release Notes, most notably changes in storage control, including RAID/IMEI/AHCI updates. Not tested.

UPDATE: 17 May 2019
Successfully updated to 10.14.5 without any ussues or hiccups. NUC rebooted 3 times, the second time it went to the installation screen, no keyboard or mouse active, I let it complete and reboot. Fans started spinning audibly. Upon final reboot, got back to Desktop just fine. No issues at all.

Still using latest available:
  • BIOS v56
  • Official Clover_r4920
  • Lilu v1.3.5
  • WhateverGreen v1.2.8
  • AppleALC v1.3.7
  • IntelMausiEthernet v2.4.1d1
  • FakePCIID v2018.10.27
  • Fine-tuned Clover config based on config-4-final-smbios.plist

Hi konsti,
many thanks for all the good work.
I am new to hackintosh and was abet get the nuc8i7beh up and running with your guide.
The part where I get stuck is getting the audio to work.
Would you mind sharing the compiled files?

Thanks again!

Hi @przemol thanks for your support. This thread meant to be more of an analysis than a step-by-step guide but well done in making NUC8i7BEH2 work! I am happy. I hope you learned more during the process, which is the first task of hackintoshing, in my mind.

For audio to work straight away on this NUC8ixBEx platform, you need 3 things (besides Clover renaming):
  • Rename in Clover config the device HDAS to HDEF;
  • FakePCIID.kext (the main component needed) + FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext absolutely: These help greatly as they correctly declare to the OS the two distinct audio devices, HDEF and HDAU. Did you perhaps missed that one? Does IORegistryExplorer.app show these?
  • Lilu.kext (main patcher) and AppleALC.kext (I personally put them in /L/E/ folder) latest versions (see above);
  • Declare layout-id as 0x1C (ID=28 in decimal) in either Clover config directly or via some compiled SSDT. I personally used an SSDT as I started building the NUC8 step-by-step per my first post.
Here's my compiled SSDT-HDEF.aml but I am sure you can also try declaring it on Clover config. But even without this one, if you installed all above correctly, you'd see at least HDMI Audio ;)

Attachments

• SSDT-HDEF.aml
    185 bytes · Views: 101
  • SSDT-HDEF.dsl
    1.7 KB · Views: 96
  • Hackintool Audio.png
    Hackintool Audio.png
    56.5 KB · Views: 139
Hi @konsti
many thanks for the swift response.
I finally found what my first mistake was:
Although I had all the kext in the /L/E, they did not load correctly.
Once I moved them to /E/E/C - they loaded and the HDMI part was sorted together with the SATA controller.
With your compiled aml - the built-in audio works as well.
Thank you for sharing the file.

For now - I decided to keep my custom files in the EFI partition.
It makes it much easier to back them up and restore.

Now I am off to finish the last few bits (while listening to some music on the NUC :) ).

Have a great day!

Hello, have a new NUC8i7BEH2 with the supplied Bios 0071. Is a downgrade to 056 possible? Is there something to be considered?

Hi @kanalrat I would suggest you add the Clover patch needed to use this BIOS instead of downgrading. More info can be found from this post here onwards (another thread) -- read them carefully.

Nevertheless, here is what Intel sent me when I requested support for downgrading to v56. Remember to use a properly formatted USB stick with only the .bio file on it, on the root (no subfolders):

In order to troubleshoot this issue, we would recommend a BIOS recovery. In order to perform a BIOS recovery, please access this link here for all the necessary information.

Worked for me with the "BIOS Recovery by the Power Button Menu" method. Good luck.

Hi. I´m about to do my first Hackintosh to a NUC. One (of many) question, is the fan. Is it loud and if it´s so, what to do?

Hi RedAir,
I can only speak for my unit but the fan is hardly noticeable.
At the moment I am using an HDD and it is louder than the fan :)

Good luck with your fist build.

It seems that sleep does not working well. I can't restart from sleep. I've already set hibernatemode to 0. Could you please help?

Hi @kanalrat I would suggest you add the Clover patch needed to use this BIOS instead of downgrading. More info can be found from this post here onwards (another thread) -- read them carefully.

Nevertheless, here is what Intel sent me when I requested support for downgrading to v56. Remember to use a properly formatted USB stick with only the .bio file on it, on the root (no subfolders):

Worked for me with the "BIOS Recovery by the Power Button Menu" method. Good luck.

I tried flashing 0056 bios. Unfortunately, I did not get the message compatible BIOS version.
I tried flashing directly through the BIOS and I created a DOS USB stick. Both attempts failed.

I suspect there are different versions of the NUC8iBEH. I now have the BIOS version 0071.IMG_20190524_090343.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back