Contribute
Register

Direct clean install 10.14.4 on NUC8i7BEH with minimal tweaks [10.14.5 Success]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still on BIOS 0051 (but will be upgrading to 0056) - but here's my issue: I have created numerous install USB drives with the same affliction. They are all USB 3 thumb drives (I have no USB 2 drives to test) from numerous manufacturers - ranging from 8GB to 32GB. They all do the same thing - they get stuck midway through the Mojave install - specifically at the "about 2 minutes remaining" mark. The wired USB keyboard and wired USB mouse also lose functionality. The NUC8I7BEH BIOS settings do not seem to allow you to "force" the USB 3 ports down to USB 2. Am I missing something stupid here ??

Still on BIOS 0051 (but will be upgrading to 0056) [...] They all do the same thing - they get stuck midway through the Mojave install - specifically at the "about 2 minutes remaining" mark. The wired USB keyboard and wired USB mouse also lose functionality.
First of all, in my 4 efforts to re-install Mojave (despite being BIOS 56 to be honest) in all times, the final reboot that takes the longest to install, also on my NUC I lose keyboard-mouse, wireless (via 'combo' dongle) or wired. I let it finish and it finishes eventually. I do hear the fans spinning at some point, I think on that setup screen, beyond the 13min time left, the keyboard is lost and fans start later to spin. Personally, I do not like BIOS v51 as it has very different behavior to v56 and needs more stuff loaded so that the installer can run, but even with v56 I did see the seemingly freezing computer effect. But a) it did complete the process and b) I do not see any BIOS setting to force USB v2 as you wrote. Did you let it complete the process or thought it froze completely?

Hi @konsti , which config.plist and the version of clover do you use to install? I'm trying a similar setup. Thanks in advanced.

Hi @konsti , which config.plist and the version of clover do you use to install? I'm trying a similar setup. Thanks in advanced.
Hi @yenhsiao I have updated my first and second posts with news. Check them out ;)

The only thing I cannot solve is to get the countdown timer on Clover screen working, I've spent time trying so you are welcome to advise if you make it work.

Last edited:
Hi @yenhsiao I have updated my first and second posts with news. Check them out ;)

The only thing I cannot solve is to get the countdown timer on Clover screen working, I've spent time trying so you are welcome to advise if you make it work.

Sweet, the config-0-sos-install.plist is the file I should use? I'll give that a try. Thanks. :)

Realized there is a 970EVO 'plus' and I somehow ordered them. :( No luck with the 'plus' version, will find another drive to instal later and provide update.

Realized there is a 970EVO 'plus' and I somehow ordered them. :( No luck with the 'plus' version, will find another drive to instal later and provide update.
Some members reported success with EVO 970 Plus, please have a look at the other threads that talk about the NUC8i5BEK or the i3 variant. I am sure I saw it.

I asked Intel in a support ticket about the pulled BIOS versions, and it seems that v64 and v66 did introduce changes to the NVMe handling of BIOS. What revision do you run? Try the v56 with your EVO 970 Plus and hopefully the 10.14.4 installer can still detect it -- don't forget to properly install Clover r4920 drivers on the USB's EFI.

Update: Read this post of someone with success with EVO 970 Plus. Good luck.

Last edited:
Some members reported success with EVO 970 Plus, please have a look at the other threads that talk about the NUC8i5BEK or the i3 variant. I am sure I saw it.

I asked Intel in a support ticket about the pulled BIOS versions, and it seems that v64 and v66 did introduce changes to the NVMe handling of BIOS. What revision do you run? Try the v56 with your EVO 970 Plus and hopefully the 10.14.4 installer can still detect it -- don't forget to properly install Clover r4920 drivers on the USB's EFI.

Update: Read this post of someone with success with EVO 970 Plus. Good luck.
I was able to see the drive, the problem is that it's not stable. Sometimes erase drive as APFS works and sometimes it crashes. Sometimes I'm able to start the installation but it's never able to reach the end. The bios version I use is v56, I think I should try v66.

Hi @yenhsiao I am not sure if BIOS v66 improved things for EVO 970 Plus, please do report your efforts and success for others to know, in other respective threads or here.

This is what I was told:
An issue was found in BIOS versions BECFL357.86A.0064 and BECFL357.86A.0066 which could prevent access to the NVMe SSD, if an SSD password was set on the system. These BIOS versions were removed to avoid situations where customers could not use their systems.

If you have upgraded to BIOS BECFL357.86A.0064 and BECFL357.86A.0066, but have not set a SSD password, then there is no need to be concerned with the removal of these BIOS versions.

Update: got occupied with other things and need to deal with them. :/ Will post update once I get it to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back