Contribute
Register

Dimensions/positions of Mac Pro 2006 logic board standoffs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I have a 2006 mac pro case which i am trying to fit an matx board inside and I am trying to do it without pulling out the existing standoffs and using epoxy to reposition the standoffs to mount the matx motherboard.

the plan is to use the relative positions and distance of the mounting holes to laser cut a template made from acrylic sheets then cut matx mounting holes on the same sheet.

can anyone help on this matter?

If the acrylic is clear, lay a bit on top, mark where all the standoffs are. Then you can use that as a template to put it on your final piece of acrylic that will probably not just be a square/rectangle but fit the inside of the case?

If its not clear. Piece of cardboard. Drop something spiky into the standoffs, ie cocktail stick snapped up. Push the cardboard down onto the standoffs. Rough idea of where they are. But get some scrap piece of acrylic and test first, Unfortunately its not the most accurate way to do it.

Or if you happen to have the logic board, lay it flat on some paper and just mark through where the standoffs are.
Gus

Gus said:
If the acrylic is clear, lay a bit on top, mark where all the standoffs are. Then you can use that as a template to put it on your final piece of acrylic that will probably not just be a square/rectangle but fit the inside of the case?

If its not clear. Piece of cardboard. Drop something spiky into the standoffs, ie cocktail stick snapped up. Push the cardboard down onto the standoffs. Rough idea of where they are. But get some scrap piece of acrylic and test first, Unfortunately its not the most accurate way to do it.

Or if you happen to have the logic board, lay it flat on some paper and just mark through where the standoffs are.
Gus

well so far, the best attempt i've made so far has some of the holes matching up but the remaining half are 0.5-1mm off in all directions so it's very hard for me to know how much offset i need.

I can try to use a metal file to sand away drilled holes that don't match up but I want it to be perfect

eg of a drilled hole that is slightly off.
s1cTzg-__original.jpg

nah, mac pro logic boards, even spoilt ones cost too much (>US$130) for a single use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back