GTX980; GTX970
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi Guys

I just built my first PC/Mac. I don't like the term hackintosh as I think it stunts the growth of the community and gives a very illegal feel to what's going on (just my opinion.)

Anyway, I'm real excited about this new system and think it's great. The only thing that really bothers me is that I use a receiver with a powerful audio system for video editing. I have always connected my computers to the audio system with optical digital outputs from the computer. Is there any way to use an add-on card or any Ivy Bridge motherboard that supports digital audio? Please let me know.

-Jonathan

You can use an M-Audio PCI card. The exact model escapes me at the moment... Something 192. Anyway, I used one on an old Mac I had so I could use it as a HTPC and it worked great. I do believe some third party make updated drivers for it as well.

Toleda's patched AppleHDA + enabler for your board's codec or DSDT audio edit will get you s/pdif output if your board has optical/coax digital output.

If buying a new board, then select one with optical out from the back panel.

Thanks Going Bald (I am too.)

Can you recommend a motherboard from Gigabyte or Asus that falls into the category you have specified? I have two motherboards currently: Z77-DS3H and Z77-UD3H. Are either of these going to be compatible with his AppleHDA + enabler?

Thanks!

Going Bald said:
Toleda's patched AppleHDA + enabler for your board's codec or DSDT audio edit will get you s/pdif output if your board has optical/coax digital output.

If buying a new board, then select one with optical out from the back panel.

Can you recommend a motherboard from Gigabyte or Asus that falls into the category you have specified? I have two motherboards currently: Z77-DS3H and Z77-UD3H. Are either of these going to be compatible with his AppleHDA + enabler?

Thanks!
A clarification, the Z77-UD3H is really the Z77X-UD3H, which has the a VIA code which has limited support in OSX. On the other hand, the Z77-DS3H has the fully supported ALC 887 and includes SPDIF Optical output.

A clarification, the Z77-UD3H is really the Z77X-UD3H, which has the a VIA code which has limited support in OSX. On the other hand, the Z77-DS3H has the fully supported ALC 887 and includes SPDIF Optical output.

I have a Z77-DS3H sitting right on the table in the shop and there is no S/PDIF connector. Also has only minimum audio connectors - Line In/Line Out/Microphone

Thanks!
GA-Z77N
GA-Z77X-
UD5H, UP4 TH, UP5 TH, UP7

Any of the ASUS boards listed on the ASUS patched ROM repository, which is basically the Maximus V Extreme and any of the P8Z77 boards except the models ending in LX and LK.
IIRC all ASUS boards have S/PDIF, but double check before buying.

Which one you get really depends on your budget and what you want on the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back