Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H
CPU
i7-2700K
Graphics
GeForce GTS 250 1024 MB
Hi,

I'm step by step making my way toward overclocking, but I'm new to the Hackintosh world. Today, as part of this project, I installed hwmonitor and learned I was stuck at 1.6 GHz on my i5-2500K, so I installed the SSDT for "Sandy Bridge Core i5" (description: "Optimized SSDT supporting Sandy Bridge Core i5 CPUs with a maximum Turbo Boost clock of 3.8 GHz. Installs SSDT.aml in /Extra."). It worked perfectly, doubling my Geekbench score from 4400 to 8800 now that it can hit 3.4.

The question is, what happens if I make BIOS mods to overclock now? Do I need to overwrite the SSDT.aml with the "Sandy Bridge Core i5/i7 Overclocked" (description: "Optimized SSDT supporting Sandy Bridge Core i5 or Core i7 CPUs overclocked up to 4.2 Ghz. Installs SSDT.aml in /Extra.")? I debated just installing this one to begin with but was worried that the system would just stick it at 3.4 and not use the turbo boost mode where it automatically switches.

Hope I am making sense...thanks a lot!

Update: I have been trying various overclocking settings in the BIOS, but it appears that for every attempt I've made, the speed will go down to a solid 1.6 GHz in OSX until I revert the overclock settings to default (33). Then, I get up to 3.4 GHz:

Screen Shot 2013-03-30 at 11.43.24 AM.png

Then I decided to try installing (from MultiBeast) the "Sandy Bridge Core i5/i7 Overclocked" SSDT.aml. No difference was seen. Whenever I would move the multiplier settings away from 33 (default), the system would run at 1.6. Putting it back to default, the system now boosts to 3.4 (above image).

Hi, Hope I can help.

I have the i5-3570K with the GA-B75M-D3P

I have never been able to get over clocking to work, but i have never had the symptoms you describe.
I Believe mine does not work because of the B75 chipset.
What Motherboard do you have?

I have a Z77-DS3H, same processor as you. Thanks!

Hi sshanky, I am having simular problems. I am currently using iMac 13,2 system definition, and overclocking the bios I can get a max of 4.2 Ghz overclock, setting the CPU ratio to 45, still only gets a max of 4.2 Ghz. I am wondering if this is indeed system definition related.
I have a P8 Z77-V LX (unlocked latest bios), with a Sandy Bridge i7 2600K.

Here is the forum post for my particular issue:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/99096-4-2-ghz-turbo-limit.html

HELP!!!!!!

I couldn't find anything to help so I have given up on overclocking for now. The system is really fast as it is. If anyone figures it out, I'd love to give it a try, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back