Contribute
Register

Did hackintoshing lead you to buy from Apple again?

Did hackintoshing lead you to buy an Apple product?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I first experimented with hackintoshing before owning a retail Apple machine. Since I learned my way around OS X, I have owned a PowerPC G5, iMac Intel, and several MacBook models. I absolutely love the minimalistic and completely practical design. I don't see myself going back to Windows.

Not at all.
Back when Macs had PowerPC processors you were kind of stuck buying Apple hardware.
Now that they switched to Intel x86 it's much easier to build a hackintosh.

Apple's hardware designs used to be really interesting like the G4 cube and the iMacs with the monitor on the pole separated from the base. If they experimented with radical designs again I might go back.

As it is now, you can build your own hackintosh that's more powerful and less cost compared to a genuine Mac, so no it's not leading me to go back to Apple hardware again.

If I can ever get my Hack to work, then... Maybe... This is taking much longer than I feel is worth it. Do overs? I'd just buy an 8-core 2013 with 64GB RAM and D500s. I'm using this in a studio.

When I first started hackintoshing, it was more about getting updated hardware than it was about cost savings. However, things have changed since then and Macs have gotten increasingly cost prohibitive. As things stand today, I'm not going to purchase a real Mac anytime soon.

I really feel that hackintoshing helps Apple in that it helps many developers who simply can't afford a real Mac. If hackintoshing never existed, I think the iOS, macOS, and tvOS App Stores would all take big hits.

I had a 2016 MacBookPro for work.
With high Sierra it was constantly crashing, 5 keys were already half dead and the battery life was a catastrophe.
Apple Hardware lead me to hackintosh. So it was the other way round for me :D
My X1 Carbon now is the better macbook. except the touchpad.

I wanted to try Mac OS before spending hard earned money on a Mac computer. I found this site and started my Hackintosh purchasing components from the buyers guide, I have been using it mainly for Xcode. Since then I have purchased MacBook Pro (lightly used one) and 2 new iPad's.... so yes tonymacx86 got me addicted to Macintosh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back