Contribute
Register

Did anyone overclock GIGABYTE Z390 DESIGNARE with Core i7-8700K?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Centris
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I am trying to find someone to help me with overclocking my first build - Did anyone overclock GIGABYTE Z390 DESIGNARE with Core i7-8700K?

If so please write here some tips on how to do it

I been a Mac user for years but this is the first time I am building a unit/hackintosh. I never did overlocking so I want to know if someone can help me with the following setup - Overclocking Intel Core i7-8700K & GIGABYTE Z390 DESIGNARE - Mojave 10.14.4

Just select what speed you want in the BIOS!
Nowadays they are pretty stable just by doing that, you no longer have to play around with changing voltages etc.

On my Z370, I've clocked mine up to 5GHz just by selecting that in the BIOS. Note that only the base clock speed will be displayed in "About my Mac" even though it can/will ramp up to 5GHz when needed.

Just select what speed you want in the BIOS!
Nowadays they are pretty stable just by doing that, you no longer have to play around with changing voltages etc.

On my Z370, I've clocked mine up to 5GHz just by selecting that in the BIOS. Note that only the base clock speed will be displayed in "About my Mac" even though it can/will ramp up to 5GHz when needed.

EZ OC is not available in my bios, and when I try to switch it out of Auto nothing happens, plus the Clock Frequency option is grayed out. Not sure where to go from here.

As the Z390 is newer than the Z370, I assumed it would at least have the same or more advanced options. Sorry I can't help any further.

No worries! Haha I just triple checked that I have the k chip too and its reading 8700K in the BIOS so its wierd all overclocking is locked out.

I take it that you have the latest bios version. Mine is the same CPU and I get loads of options for overclocking on the Gigabyte Z370 Aorus mb. If I stress test it with Cinebench R20 it goes up to the 5Ghz and stays there most of the time - using Intel Power Gadget to view what is happening.

I take it that you have the latest bios version. Mine is the same CPU and I get loads of options for overclocking on the Gigabyte Z370 Aorus mb. If I stress test it with Cinebench R20 it goes up to the 5Ghz and stays there most of the time - using Intel Power Gadget to view what is happening.

Thats awesome! I'll recheck BIOS firmware now. I just got the board last week so I figured it would be current enough for an older chip.

I also have a Z370 Aorus board and the auto/easy overclock for the 8700k is there but even with latest Z390 Designare Bios (F6) they have locked all overclocking features out on the 8700k on this new board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back