Graphics
ATI
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I've been running a GA-Z77N-based system for several months now, and have been dealing with a random system hang that has suddenly increased in frequency. It used to be the case that I'd get a hang once every couple of weeks or so - annoying, but since it didn't repeat after reboot, tolerable. As of last night, it's freezing each boot after about 5 minutes of up time.

I've never seen a kernel panic, and the system just freezes - everything including the mouse cursor just halts. It also seems to hang on shutdown/restart, if I attempt that before the desktop hangs on its own.

I've tried leaving the console log open so I can watch it as the freeze happens, but haven't noticed anything alarming. However, when I restart, the last entry or two in the long sometimes gets removed, so it's possible the hang is happening before the issue can be reported?

One thing that I did do last night before all this started happening is install a couple of updates via the app store: a Java security update, and iTunes 11.1.1. My system did hang immediately upon completing the installation of the iTunes update, so I'm inclined to blame that, although it's possible it's just a coincidence. Is there any way to roll back an app store update?

I dual boot to Win8, and have never encountered any stability issues in that OS. I also ran a memtest pass without error.

I guess I'm wondering what the next step is. Any suggestions on how to figure out what the issue is? Am I at the point where it's time to just reinstall the OS?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back