intel
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi all,

I am new to hackintosh concept and now preparing myself for my first build.
I am planning to buy following components for my hackintosh, which is going to be my main machine in my music studio running Logic Pro X together with Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 connected to 2 slave PC's with Windows 7 Pro 64bit:

Intel i7 4790k

Gigabyte Z97x-UD5H

32Gb Ram Crucial Ballstix Tactile

Samsung 840 Evo 250 Gb for system
Samsung 840 Evo 500 Gb for audio + another 500 Gb in near future

Noctua NH-D14 Cooler

Fractal Design Define R4 Case

Corsair 650 W power

TP Link PCI Express WI-FI

As mentioned above, my main use of the hackintosh will be to make music and it will be very important for me for the following to work properly:

- Two ethernet sockets on Gigabyte mobo as I will be connecting two slave pc via gigabit ethernet cable

- USB 3.0/2.0 as I will be using external audio card, hence no need for motherboard audio

- Wireless internet via TP Link for my updates and internet use

- SSD's

- 32Gb Ram is absolutely essential

- I will be connecting my Dell 1920 x 1200 displays via hdmi, so hdmi will have to work and with such resolutions.

- Compatibility with Logix Pro X

- Compatibility with USB audio devices such as RME Fireface UCX

My huge question to all of you experienced hackintosh builders is if it is possible to build a machine given the components I mentioned above (I am quite concerned if i7 4790k with Z97X-UD5H board will easily work for me) as well as if it will be a straight forward process as I have absolutely no experience in building a hackintosh yet.
I must admit I am a noob if it comes to multibeast and I am hoping that I could just use simple settings without messing with kexts or DSDT's as I have absolutely no idea what it is, how to get it and how to work with it.

If anyone of you has build hackintosh using same components and got good (i.e. stable and functional) results, I could kindly ask for a little tutorial.

I have read some of the stories here about i7 4790k + Gigabyte mobo, but so far still some issues there and quite complicated.

Once again, I would hugely appreciate your help.

Sincerely,

Jakub

Hi - the Z97 chipset is really new and is not natively supported by Apple. You can however use it (I did), but it is probably not going to be as stable as a Z87 motherboard, because Apple supports the Z87 chipset. I have found that my system has some wake from sleep issues and so I have set it to never put the computer top sleep. In addition, the audio on my motherboard does not work very well, though Tony and team are working on a fix.

My suggestion would be to use a Z87 motherboard since you will be using this build for audio work.

Many thanks 'Muchmore'.

Should I buy Gigabyte Z87X-UD5H, can I expect it to work with the new Intel i7 4790k ? Apparently it is compatible, perhaps with the bios update, however does anyone have any input weather the CPU itself makes any issues with hackintosh, especially with Z87 chipset ?
Also..I suppose I would have to install windows first to be able to update bios, then proceed to installing OSX ? Sorry for really basic questions, Im total noob.

Just dont want to spend £1000+ for something that will not work.

Jakub

Many thanks 'Muchmore'.

Should I buy Gigabyte Z87X-UD5H, can I expect it to work with the new Intel i7 4790k ? Apparently it is compatible, perhaps with the bios update, however does anyone have any input weather the CPU itself makes any issues with hackintosh, especially with Z87 chipset ?
Also..I suppose I would have to install windows first to be able to update bios, then proceed to installing OSX ? Sorry for really basic questions, Im total noob.

Just dont want to spend £1000+ for something that will not work.

Jakub

You will need to look at the support page for the Z87X-UD5H to validate Gigabyte will support the 4790k with a bios update. The 4790k works well (I am using it now). As for updating the bios, if the bios that is currently installed does NOT support the 4790k, you would need to have a non-devil's canyon cpu installed plus RAM, then you can boot into the bios update tool (you do not need windows installed to update the bios). Please verify the bios update process in the motherboard manual.

Yeah this is very true. I'm in the process of making a built with the following:

GA-Z87X-UD3H
Intel i7 4790k

You can't enter the BIOS even with the 4790k. I had to take the motherboard and CPU to the shop to have them put an older processor in it so they could update to the Rev 10 Beta BIOS.

They charged me $20 + tax to update the bios, not bad, just wish I had known before starting out as I spent about three hours trouble shooting everything.

Thx "Muchmore".

Im not in a rush so I may have to wait a little bit for the multibeast to include appropriate update to allow for the build of hackintosh on the z97 chipset without much pain.

For me, stability is what matters to me most so may have to consider older components such as Z87 chipset Gigabyte UD5H + intel i7 4770k as it seems it is well documented and works for most people.
I will however look forward to reading people experience building Z97 + Deveil's Canyon (such a cool name by the way) and hopefully we will get a valid update of multibeast from Tony.

Jakub

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back