Contribute
Register

Desperately need guidance for Mac Pro mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
This helped me a lot! I thought the actual power button lit up when pressed and the message light just flashed when something was wrong or at start up. thought the power button LED didn't work but just had my wires crossed. Still a little disappointed the button itself doesn't light though. May have to hack that. :)

Front panel changed, black screen

Hello guys,

I am on mac pro 1.1 and my usb ports don't work anymore for hard drives or midi controller or anything that needs to be powered through usb. The keyboard and mouse still work fine.

The usb ports died, I think, after I plugged an old ipod cable from 2003.

I decided to change the front usb panel. I bought a new one on ebay, it is the exact same model, with "apple" written on it.

When I push the power button with the new front panel installed, the computer turns on but there is no apple "gong" sound and the screen stays black ...

If I put the old front panel, the computer works again.
Can someone help me please ? I use Maschine MK2 controller and I can't work anymore.

Thank you very much,

Morgan.

Hello guys,

I am on mac pro 1.1 and my usb ports don't work anymore for hard drives or midi controller or anything that needs to be powered through usb. The keyboard and mouse still work fine.

The usb ports died, I think, after I plugged an old ipod cable from 2003.

I decided to change the front usb panel. I bought a new one on ebay, it is the exact same model, with "apple" written on it.

When I push the power button with the new front panel installed, the computer turns on but there is no apple "gong" sound and the screen stays black ...

If I put the old front panel, the computer works again.
Can someone help me please ? I use Maschine MK2 controller and I can't work anymore.

Thank you very much,

Morgan.

Is this a Hackintosh or a real Apple Mac Pro?

Is this a Hackintosh or a real Apple Mac Pro?

it's a Hackintosh installed into an original Apple Mac Pro case where the case and some of the case components have been modified to house and work with all your parts.

Here's my 2p worth.

In my opinion you are going to have major difficulty trying to mount a full size ATX board the the case while wanting to retain the original back panel and without cutting the top (double skin) tray.

I would ditch the full ATX motherboard in favour of a Micro ATX version and purchase a motherboard tray kit from 'The Laser Hive'. they also do a great front panel conversion, these two items make installation a breeze but you will have to cut the front and rear panels.

SAS - SATA conversion is also possible but again it will take some modification and new parts to work well.

It can be done but not easily if you are on a tight budget.

This is how i did it. http://www.tonymacx86.com/mac-pro-mods/171682-my-mac-pro-hack.html

Back on page one, post no.7 , there is a drawing of the front original Mac Pro power switch and its three pin connector

I have a complete Mac Pro here..2009 ish..so i am told. My mate salvaged the Mobo and all the wiring, fans, RAM Risers, RAM etc etc.. the owners wanted the case cut up and used as a wall mounted coat hanger!! :(

Anyway , I am trying to power up this original mac mob. All wiring here and wired to the mobo, apart from that small three pin wire and the front power switch LED combo

So I see the three solder pads on the front panel.

How do i wire that to a switch to power on the original Mac mobo ? Do I just flash the Switch power plus pin to ground or +5 volts to power the unit up?

My Power LED only flashes too. Does anybody know whats wrong? I tried to switch + and - but it doesn't work. I have connected the 8Pin power so a standard MOLEX. Powerbutton and USB power are working fine, only the LED doesn't

Please complete the user profile information; read the rules.

The LED on the power switch is covered in post # 7 of this thread.

Good modding,
neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back