DESPERATELY NEED ADVICE FOR THE STRANGEST PROBLEM EVER

Discussion in 'General Help' started by Axel2011, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Axel2011

Axel2011

Motherboard:
    GA-Z68XP-UD3
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7-2600
    Graphics:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2047 MB
    Mac:
    MacBook Pro
    Mobile Phone:
    Android
    Feb 16, 2012 at 8:18 PM #1
    Axel2011

Axel2011

Motherboard:
    GA-Z68XP-UD3
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7-2600
    Graphics:
    Mac:
    MacBook Pro
    Mobile Phone:
    Android
    I'm not totally sure where to post this, but the problem is definitely with my build... except that it is not so successful.

I was really excited to build myself a hackintosh about a month ago. I purchased almost all the recommended components for tonymac's CustoMac Pro build, via the direct links to Newegg/Amazon:

Corsair Carbide Series 400R
    Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3
    Intel Core i7-2600K
    Zalman CNPS 9900 max CPU cooler
    16GB Corsair 1600Mhz DDR3
    NVIDIA Geforce GTX 460 (I had this from my previous computer)
    Corsair HX 750 Watt PSU
    Corsair Force GT 240GB SATA 3 SSD (I wanted a large one because I am doing audio production and streaming audio samples, where the SSD can make a big difference)
    D-Link Xtreme N Desktop PCI Express Network Adapter

Ok. Now I went through a marathon of troubleshooting during the past few weeks, and I will try to make it brief and skip unnecessary steps.

So I put everything together. I had the USB drive with the bootable Lion installation made with UniBeast (on a friend's iMac). Installing OS X 10.7.2 and subsequent update to 10.7.3 via combo update were a cinch, and using MultiBeast to enable audio and boot from hard drive etc worked equally well.

But very strange things start happening when I connect more (data) hard drives. I've used Windows only for many years, so I have lots of data on NTFS formatted drives. So I had spent $20 for Paragon's NTFS for Mac software in order to make it simple to access all my old data. BUT - after connecting one or more of those drives, the system will not boot properly anymore. That is... it will boot, but only every 2nd or 3rd attempt, and restart always fails. The computer shuts down as if someone had pulled the plug - poof, and off. This happens mostly before I can even get into the Bios, but sometimes even after the chimera boot loader and entering the password. When it does boot up, everything is great and fast, and I have read/write access to all drives, no matter how they're formatted (I am typing this right now with only the system SSD connected).

I have done the following things, and none of them have fixed the problem of the sudden crashes:

- changed the SATA ports that the drives are connected to, to just about any combination imaginable.

- changed the SATA cables.

- tried to boot with only 1 data drive connected, both (freshly) NTFS and Mac formatted.

- ran "repair disc" from OS X's disk utility; it found errors and fixed them.

- RMA'd the motherboard and patiently waited 10 days to get a replacement from Newegg.

- RMA'd the RAM and received a very fast replacement from Amazon even before sending back the old RAM (nice).

- ran MemTest to check all 4 sticks of RAM, no errors.

- taken the computer to a tech expert who has worked for the Geek Squad for many years. He said he'd never seen anything like this before. After first guessing that the problem is hardware related, he told me after a week of checking things that all hardware is fine, and that the hard drives are at fault... he said I should maybe not use an SSD drive, and just do a clean install of Win7... so:

- tried to install Windows 7 from the original installation DVD - IT CRASHES EVERY TIME DURING THE INSTALLATION, right after the "starting Windows" logo appears. It doesn't even matter whether or what kind of drive is connected - when booting from the Win7 DVD the computer crashes even when there is no drive connected at all!!!!
    >> I am unable to do a clean install of Windows 7 on a brand new system with a newly formatted hard drive!!

Now, at this point I REALLY REALLY don't know what to do anymore, none of this makes any sense! It's now been just over 30 days since I bought most of the hardware, so returning it is not possible anymore. Anyway, the hardware appears to be fine when tested, and motherboard and RAM have already been swapped... CPU and PSU, as far as I understand, either work or not, but couldn't work every other attempt or so.

Should I maybe contact Gigabyte and ask to replace my motherboard with a different model? I'm about ready to give up... except I don't even know what that would mean for me?! I can't even install Windows!?! My old Core 2 Duo based system (that has worked flawlessly for 4 years) is still here, so maybe I'll have to sell all the hardware and go back to that...

PLEASE HELP! I have had over a month of downtime and am rather frustrated :( I really need my computer back :(

2. karacho

karacho

Motherboard:
    GA-Z97M-D3H
    CPU:
    Core i5-4690K
    Graphics:
    AMD Radeon RX 560 Pulse 4GB
    Mac:
    MacBook Pro
    Classic Mac:
    Power Mac
    Mobile Phone:
    Android, iOS
    Feb 16, 2012 at 10:07 PM #2
    karacho

karacho

Motherboard:
    GA-Z97M-D3H
    CPU:
    Core i5-4690K
    Graphics:
    Mac:
    MacBook Pro
    Classic Mac:
    Power Mac
    Mobile Phone:
    Android, iOS
    Perhaps your Bios Settings are resetted to their defaults. Check your Bios settings and set it to the recommended settings for OSX on PC Hardware in case they were resetted. Click the link to my Builds in my Signature for Pics how to set up the Bios. Important is AHCI and HPET=Enabled and 64bit

3. Axel2011

Axel2011

Motherboard:
    GA-Z68XP-UD3
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7-2600
    Graphics:
    Mac:
    MacBook Pro
    Mobile Phone:
    Android
    Feb 17, 2012 at 2:47 PM #3
    Axel2011

Axel2011

Motherboard:
    GA-Z68XP-UD3
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7-2600
    Graphics:
    Mac:
    MacBook Pro
    Mobile Phone:
    Android
    Hi karacho, thanks for your reply. I did double check the Bios settings, but they're still the same. Before installing I loaded optimized defaults, then changed SATA to AHCI and HPET to 64bit, and those settings haven't changed. Wish it was that simple!

I am probably going to try an Asus motherboard instead of my Gigabyte because I kind of suspect there may be a motherboard incompatibility issue. Does anybody have any suggestions for a good Asus board with 1155 socket that has a DSDT?

4. karacho

karacho

Motherboard:
    GA-Z97M-D3H
    CPU:
    Core i5-4690K
    Graphics:
    Mac:
    MacBook Pro
    Classic Mac:
    Power Mac
    Mobile Phone:
    Android, iOS
    Feb 17, 2012 at 2:54 PM #4
    karacho

karacho

Motherboard:
    GA-Z97M-D3H
    CPU:
    Core i5-4690K
    Graphics:
    Mac:
    MacBook Pro
    Classic Mac:
    Power Mac
    Mobile Phone:
    Android, iOS
    The Gigabyte MoBo's are the best Supported Boards for Hackintoshing ever as you may see in our DSDT Database

5. veng58

veng58

Motherboard:
    gigabyte H55M-UD2H
    CPU:
    i3 530
    Graphics:
    Inno3d gt430 1gb
    Mac:
    MacBook Pro
    Classic Mac:
    Power Mac
    Mobile Phone:
    Other
    Feb 17, 2012 at 3:41 PM #5
    veng58

veng58

Motherboard:
    gigabyte H55M-UD2H
    CPU:
    i3 530
    Graphics:
    Inno3d gt430 1gb
    Mac:
    MacBook Pro
    Classic Mac:
    Power Mac
    Mobile Phone:
    Other
    So ,without the added ntfs drives the system is working ok?? maybe your power supply is faulty with the extra hardware attached ,have you tried disconnecting the mac drives and just have the windows drives to see if that is stable ? does seem like a power issue ,sorry can see you have tried that ,but in putting all the other drives on and a faulty psu ,could have damaged it now and it wont switch properly ,had that with a 3 way sli setup of my sons and had to put a 1000 watt in to get it to boot properly

6. Axel2011

Axel2011

Motherboard:
    GA-Z68XP-UD3
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7-2600
    Graphics:
    Mac:
    MacBook Pro
    Mobile Phone:
    Android
    Feb 17, 2012 at 6:11 PM #6
    Axel2011

Axel2011

Motherboard:
    GA-Z68XP-UD3
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7-2600
    Graphics:
    Mac:
    MacBook Pro
    Mobile Phone:
    Android
    @karacho: Yes, I know Gigabyte boards have the best support, that's why I got one! But things haven't been working for me!! I think I will still wait before trying a new motherboard though because...

@veng58: You may be right with the PSU... Today I am able to boot and restart successfully with 2 data drives connected, when they are on different power cables. 3 drives still crashes though. (Whether they're NTFS or Mac formatted seems to have no impact, I've tried both). I've submitted an RMA to Corsair to replace the PSU, and upgrade it to a 1000W too (I'll have to pay a little extra of course, but it's ok. I hope they'll do it!) Will definitely wait to try with a new PSU before doing anything else...

Thanks for your advice!

7. ModBot Jr

ModBot Jr Moderator

Motherboard:
    Asrock Z97-E ITX/ac
    CPU:
    Core i3-4150
    Graphics:
    GeForce GTX 550 Ti
    Mac:
    MacBook Air
    Classic Mac:
    Classic, Power Mac
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Feb 17, 2012 at 11:08 PM #7
    ModBot Jr

ModBot Jr Moderator

Motherboard:
    Asrock Z97-E ITX/ac
    CPU:
    Core i3-4150
    Graphics:
    GeForce GTX 550 Ti
    Mac:
    MacBook Air
    Classic Mac:
    Classic, Power Mac
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Move to the correct forum section. tonymacx86 forum index

User Builds -> General Tuning (forum sections)
    • |
      |
      |
      V
    User Builds == Confirmed [Successful] User Hardware Builds

----------------------------> Forum Rules
    <--

8. vontrapp

vontrapp

Feb 17, 2012 at 11:16 PM #8
    vontrapp

vontrapp

I have had trouble with Paragon before now. Uninstall it and see if your comp works. On second thoughts, it can't be that, if you can't even get in to the BIOS on some occasions! Thinking about it..
    , I have had problems before, like yours. The boot-up process would hang at the BIOS, even before it recognized any drives. The cause was my mobile phone which was plugged in to the computer's unpowered USB socket. Have you anything plugged into your USB, on boot?

9. Axel2011

Axel2011

Motherboard:
    GA-Z68XP-UD3
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7-2600
    Graphics:
    Mac:
    MacBook Pro
    Mobile Phone:
    Android
    Feb 18, 2012 at 1:29 AM #9
    Axel2011

Axel2011

Motherboard:
    GA-Z68XP-UD3
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7-2600
    Graphics:
    Mac:
    MacBook Pro
    Mobile Phone:
    Android
    @vontrapp: I already tried uninstalling Paragon NTFS for Mac... if anything, that made it worse. Remember, my system is not getting stuck during boot, it shuts down very suddenly (but not always, right now only when I have more than the Lion SSD and 2 data drives connected).

Earlier I installed Parallels Desktop and tried to get Windows 7 going. Interestingly enough, the system crashed (=shut down) during the installation, just like when I tried to boot from the Win7 DVD to install it onto a separate drive. So I tried installing Windows from the .iso image, and the installation process went much farther... but then crashed as usual *sigh*

What kind of system won't even let you clean install Windows onto an empty drive???

Well, I'm going to replace the PSU now and see what happens. It will probably take at least a week until I get the replacement unit, so more downtime.

10. westwaerts

westwaerts

Motherboard:
    CPU:
    i7 2600k
    Graphics:
    HD5670
    Feb 18, 2012 at 6:57 AM #10
    westwaerts

westwaerts

Motherboard:
    CPU:
    i7 2600k
    Graphics:
    HD5670
    its ParagonNTFS that causes problems.
    for reading windows disks you dont need it, its only for write support.

if you running your system on a SSD, shutdown or sleep are fast.

Windows7 itself