1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys,

Recently I tried to install Mac OS X Lion and it went all well until
the point that Xmove moves all the files to the "installer" partition:
Desktop freezes when Xmove is "running package scripts".
Does anyone know what the problem is?

Thanks in advance.
kind regards, IT07.

IT07 said:
Hey guys,

Recently I tried to install Mac OS X Lion and it went all well until
the point that Xmove moves all the files to the "installer" partition:
Desktop freezes when Xmove is "running package scripts".
Does anyone know what the problem is?

Thanks in advance.
kind regards, IT07.

You sure it's freezed? xMove takes ages to finish because it literally moves the whole 3GB worth of Lion installation files to the partition. If you have any worry's that xMove isn't working just open Disk Utility and keep highlighting the xMove partition now and then and you will see the Files on the drive increase. Watching xMove do it's thing gives the illusion it's not doing anything when it is. If you mean your computer completly locks up I'm not sure what you could do about that?

Hope it helps

SweetzDesigns_Mac said:
You sure it's freezed? xMove takes ages to finish because it literally moves the whole 3GB worth of Lion installation files to the partition. If you have any worry's that xMove isn't working just open Disk Utility and keep highlighting the xMove partition now and then and you will see the Files on the drive increase. Watching xMove do it's thing gives the illusion it's not doing anything when it is. If you mean your computer completly locks up I'm not sure what you could do about that?

Hope it helps

Thanks for your reply. Uhm i'm a bit surprised that you doubt
about the fact that the desktop freezed. Like I'm so freaking
dum I wouldn't be able to see the difference.

Anyways, let me answer your question: well, I wasn't able to drag any
windows, and mouse-over effects didn't work anymore so that should say enough.

IT07 said:
SweetzDesigns_Mac said:

Hope it helps

Thanks for your reply. Uhm i'm a bit surprised that you doubt
about the fact that the desktop freezed. Like I'm so freaking
dum I wouldn't be able to see the difference.

Anyways, let me answer your question: well, I wasn't able to drag any
windows, and mouse-over effects didn't work anymore so that should say enough.

Lol, I was just getting a clear picture so I can help you further otherwise I could be going in the complete wrong direction. Anyway just one last thing you said you couldn't move windows etc so could you move the mouse? if you can move the mouse I really would just stick your mouse right where the blue installation bar is and wait to see if the bar gets any further. You've got a really good CPU (fast as ****) but without the proper patched DSDT's it may just be slowing down a bit while it's moving all of those files into place.

P.S not trying to say your stupid or anything but as I previously stated I was just trying to differentiate a completely locked up system to partially locked up because of something running.

IT07 said:
Like I'm so freaking dum I wouldn't be able to see the difference.

Who is going to want to help someone who is going to accost people who try and help him?

SweetzDesigns_Mac said:
Lol, I was just getting a clear picture so I can help you further otherwise I could be going in the complete wrong direction. Anyway just one last thing you said you couldn't move windows etc so could you move the mouse? if you can move the mouse I really would just stick your mouse right where the blue installation bar is and wait to see if the bar gets any further. You've got a really good CPU (fast as f#ck) but without the proper patched DSDT's it may just be slowing down a bit while it's moving all of those files into place.

P.S not trying to say your stupid or anything but as I previously stated I was just trying to differentiate a completely locked up system to partially locked up because of something running.

Hey, thanks for the reply. Well I have to say that I was able to move the mouse
and I did check that progress bar thing: it wasn't moving...

IT07 said:
SweetzDesigns_Mac said:
Lol, I was just getting a clear picture so I can help you further otherwise I could be going in the complete wrong direction. Anyway just one last thing you said you couldn't move windows etc so could you move the mouse? if you can move the mouse I really would just stick your mouse right where the blue installation bar is and wait to see if the bar gets any further. You've got a really good CPU (fast as f#ck) but without the proper patched DSDT's it may just be slowing down a bit while it's moving all of those files into place.

Hey, thanks for the reply. Well I have to say that I was able to move the mouse
and I did check that progress bar thing: it wasn't moving...

Okay, must say I've never seen this problem pop up anywhere, and also without there being any similar threads I have no deffinate answer. But if you can't figure it out yourself I can fire some things tip try, when you run xMove does your computer lock up only while xMove is running? can you run Snow Leopard without xMove without your computer locking up?

Also I'm not 100% but do you think it may be a sleep problem? like it spisn down your hard drive after it has been left inactive? try going into System Preferences > Energy and de-delecting "put the hard disk to sleep when possible"

Hope it helps :thumbup:

SweetzDesigns_Mac said:
Okay, must say I've never seen this problem pop up anywhere, and also without there being any similar threads I have no deffinate answer. But if you can't figure it out yourself I can fire some things tip try, when you run xMove does your computer lock up only while xMove is running? can you run Snow Leopard without xMove without your computer locking up?

Also I'm not 100% but do you think it may be a sleep problem? like it spisn down your hard drive after it has been left inactive? try going into System Preferences > Energy and de-delecting "put the hard disk to sleep when possible"

Hey, uhm I'm absolutely shure that I can use snow leopard without freezing.
It never happend before so I asume the freezing problem is caused by Xmove.
And I'm absolutely sure it is not a harddrive spin down problem,
cause I have turned that feature off.

IT07 said:
SweetzDesigns_Mac said:

Hey, uhm I'm absolutely shure that I can use snow leopard without freezing.
It never happend before so I asume the freezing problem is caused by Xmove.
And I'm absolutely sure it is not a harddrive spin down problem,
cause I have turned that feature off.

Ok then last thing I can think of is in Utilities open console and leave it running then run xMove keep the console window at the front and see what the log says, see if it gives any errors etc if not maybe try and look at a manual way in which you can transfer the Lion install files to the Install partition yourself?

Hope you get it working :thumbup:

One small question ...

Are you really running xmove on a snow leopard machine ??
In Lion it will not work. It will "hang" itself just like you mentioned.

Cheers,
Marc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back