Contribute
Register

Desktop feels laggy and chrome very slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
106 saved my setup, thanks

went back to trusty old 103 and all is well again.
Do you get a smoother performance with 103 than with 106?

I'm wondering if I should give this version a try, too.
Sometimes, when opening a new Safari window, I can see some microstuttering. I wonder if 103 would solve this.

Best regards

Do you get a smoother performance with 103 than with 106?

I'm wondering if I should give this version a try, too.
Sometimes, when opening a new Safari window, I can see some microstuttering. I wonder if 103 would solve this.

Best regards
Nope, 103 and 106 are pretty much the same–waaaaay better than the "blacklisted" drivers but still a lil' wonky in safari and chrome! Hopefully 10.13.4 or the next Nvidia release fixes this.

Nope, 103 and 106 are pretty much the same–waaaaay better than the "blacklisted" drivers but still a lil' wonky in safari and chrome! Hopefully 10.13.4 or the next Nvidia release fixes this.
Yes, I agree! Thanks for letting me know.

It's a problem with the NVIDIA drivers for 10.13.3 (156/157)! If you install the 10.13.2 drivers (106) using the backwards compatible tool linked below, then everything goes back to normal. No Lag.

Driver versions can be found here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/nvidia-drivers/

1. Install the latest driver (156/157)
2. Use the `Webdriver All Versions.app` to install 106 driver
- If you need a DL link for the app, here it is https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hI4dqVZ621fPeKR6YFoLFQGD-ciiZ3xO
- Open the app, choose „Webdriver neu installieren“ („Reinstall web driver“), choose the old webdriver *.pkg file – the app installs the old driver.
3. Restart the app
4. choose „Vorhandenen Webdriver Patchen“ („patch existing web driver“)
– click through, choose „Rechte bereinigen“ („correct permissions“) enter admin password
5. Reboot using the button on the app (takes a few moments)

Credit to: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/macos-10-13-3-update.243852/page-13#post-1677090

Confirmed on macOS 13.3.3 and it works perfectly! However, the procedure seemed to have changed. The Webdriver All Versions will ask you to fix the permission problem after installation of an old driver. Also, right after the installation of the old driver, NVIDIA will force you to switch to macOS driver. After running the permission fix with the app, you will restart. But after restart, it still uses the macOS driver, you need to manually switch to NVIDIA driver (the old good 106 version).

Does anyone else have to boot 2 or 3 times to get past the "black screen." Seems like every time I turn the computer on or restart from windows I get the black screen followed by the monitor turning on and off. Turning the computer off and on gets the Nvidia web drivers to load fine. Maybe because I have two video cards and monitors? *shrugs*

iMac 17,1
Sleep works
USB Ports Mapped
Nvidia Driver: *106 patched

*drivers64UEFI*
apfs.efi
AppleImageCodec-64.efi
AppleKeyAggregator-64.efi
AppleUITheme-64.efi
DataHubDxe-64.efi
FirmwareVolume-64.efi
FSInject-64.efi
OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi
SMCHelper-64.efi
VBoxHfs-64.efi

*Installed Kexts (Library/Extensions)*
AppleALC.kext
CodecCommander.kext
FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext
FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext
FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext
FakeSMC_LPCSensors.kext
FakeSMC.kext
IntelMausiEthernet.kext
Lilu.kext
NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext
USBInjectAll.kext

Does anyone else have to boot 2 or 3 times to get past the "black screen." Seems like every time I turn the computer on or restart from windows I get the black screen followed by the monitor turning on and off. Turning the computer off and on gets the Nvidia web drivers to load fine. Maybe because I have two video cards and monitors? *shrugs*

iMac 17,1
Sleep works
USB Ports Mapped
Nvidia Driver: *106 patched

*drivers64UEFI*
apfs.efi
AppleImageCodec-64.efi
AppleKeyAggregator-64.efi
AppleUITheme-64.efi
DataHubDxe-64.efi
FirmwareVolume-64.efi
FSInject-64.efi
OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi
SMCHelper-64.efi
VBoxHfs-64.efi

*Installed Kexts (Library/Extensions)*
AppleALC.kext
CodecCommander.kext
FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext
FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext
FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext
FakeSMC_LPCSensors.kext
FakeSMC.kext
IntelMausiEthernet.kext
Lilu.kext
NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext
USBInjectAll.kext
Found this post which explains it–switching from iMac 17,2 to 14,2 seems to have fixed the problem, but I had to use 17,2 to generate an SSDT for my processor.

For me, 10.13.4 is usable using the .104 driver. Slightly laggy (as with previous 10.13.x updates) ... but OK.

It's a problem with the NVIDIA drivers for 10.13.3 (156/157)! If you install the 10.13.2 drivers (106) using the backwards compatible tool linked below, then everything goes back to normal. No Lag.

Driver versions can be found here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/nvidia-drivers/

1. Install the latest driver (156/157)
2. Use the `Webdriver All Versions.app` to install 106 driver
- If you need a DL link for the app, here it is https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hI4dqVZ621fPeKR6YFoLFQGD-ciiZ3xO
- Open the app, choose „Webdriver neu installieren“ („Reinstall web driver“), choose the old webdriver *.pkg file – the app installs the old driver.
3. Restart the app
4. choose „Vorhandenen Webdriver Patchen“ („patch existing web driver“)
– click through, choose „Rechte bereinigen“ („correct permissions“) enter admin password
5. Reboot using the button on the app (takes a few moments)

Credit to: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/macos-10-13-3-update.243852/page-13#post-1677090

It worked just as expected. Thanks so much!

I'm on .106 as well. Besides its way better as the latest drivers its still lagging. Its noticeable with GUI operations and also opening VLC is ridiculous slow on a 8700K @4,8Ghz and a nVidia 1080Ti.

I do have two tips which improves the GUI operations with the cost of some eye candy.
Go to System Preferences - Accessibility - Display and select "Reduce Motion" and "Reduce Transparency".
This improves the GUI behaviour a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back