Contribute
Register

Desktop feels laggy and chrome very slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same problem here. I have a MSI GT1030. Was fine under Sierra 10.12.6 but now on High Sierra 10.13.2, it's very laggy.
It usually happens after a while, as if the Ram of the GPU gets full (anyway to check that?). The only way to get rid of this is to disconnect the user's session and reconnect.. Also i noticed that i cannot watch a video on Youtube using Safari. It starts but after a few seconds, it freezes and the session disconnect automatically. Very annoying

Well, just checked the GPU Ram using iStat. Not really full but never drops under 60% (2GB RAM)

Been experiencing similar lag issues to many others with the desktop UI and Chrome after upgrade to 10.13.2 from 10.12.6. Benchmarks (both CPU and GPU) are all unchanged from 10.12.6, but clicking windows and menus feels laggy when multiple apps are open and scattered over the desktop. The more apps and the longer the machine has been running… more lag.

Have stumbled across what seem to be workarounds for my own rig that I'd like to share here. In my case primary is 4K (set to HIDPI 3360x1890 60Hz) and secondary is 2560x1440 (set to HIDPI 2560x1440 60Hz). If I run all the apps that I tend to keep on my second monitor in full screen then the problem is dramatically reduced. I can click on open windows and browser tabs on the primary with much less discernible lag.

And I was also able to speed up scrolling in Google Chrome by following steps 2 & 3 from this post ( [FIX] Chrome graphics issues (but without turning off graphics acceleration!) ) which was written in May 17 for Sierra.

With these 2 workarounds in place I find that I'm able to work effectively in 10.13 without too much UI lag, and I'm not feeling the need to revert. This info might be of use to others, hence I'm sharing it here.

@ainz thanks for the link to the post - i didnt try it because i had to downgrade back to sierra today, the graphics lag was so bad.

but it might work for some. i noticed the worst lag was in electron apps like slack and VS Code. Oddly for me Chrome was fine but the lag was everywhere else in the OS, windows, the dock, everything. back to Sierra everything is buttery smooth.

Even my macbook with Radeon GPU is crashing and artifacting in High Sierra. :(

Same issue here.
I'm on a iMac18,3 using 10.13.2 (17C88), ready for the supplemental upgrade.

I followed the native CPU/GPU Power management guide, but no improvement there either.

I confirm the issue even on the newest High Sierra with Nvidia web driver version 104... Went back to Sierra for now, it was even slower than my 4 years old Macbook. Chrome with GPU acceleration was unusable and without it was showing some strange artifacts on Trello and other javascript-intensive websites.

Same here as everyone else, OpenGL works good but the UI is laggy, especially using the Photos app. It's almost unusable, takes forever to just scroll and arrow through a couple photos.
I'm on 10.13.2 APFS
Anyone think this could be a APFS issue?

I was getting shutter while switching workspaces while chrome was active on one desktop. I don't see any shuttering problem with Firefox. Disabling the GPU acceleration on Chrome fix the issue. At least I don't have to go back to Sierra now.

I add video sample. "4K record downscale 1080" (4K Native Screen Resolution, Only NVIDIA 1070, Logic Pro 10.4, High Sierra 10.3.2, NVIDIA Web Driver 378.10.10.10.25.102, CUDA ver 387.99) And when i resize windows cpu temp high 72 degrees etc.

Attachments

• Graphics Slow.zip
    4.3 MB · Views: 124
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back