CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
In order to get correct power management of my E3 1241v3 CPU I had to use the SMBIOS of a Macbook Pro 11,2. One disadvantage of doing such a thing is that the preference pane for "Energy" is for a Macbook/Portable machine. I would like to know if there is some terminal trick or other wizardry that would allow me to use the Macbook SMBIOS and use the desktop version of the Energy prefs pane.

Thank you

In order to get correct power management of my E3 1241v3 CPU I had to use the SMBIOS of a Macbook Pro 11,2. One disadvantage of doing such a thing is that the preference pane for "Energy" is for a Macbook/Portable machine. I would like to know if there is some terminal trick or other wizardry that would allow me to use the Macbook SMBIOS and use the desktop version of the Energy prefs pane.

Thank you

Use a desktop SMBIOS. You should be able to get native CPU PM working with any SMBIOS that matches your hardware.

Thanks.....But.....

This is easier said than done. Using a SMBIOS for my hardware would equate to something akin to a iMac 14,2. Using iMac 14,2 will only give me 8,35,36,37,38,39 (idle, standard, and turbo states). I created a ssdt via ssdtprgen (however it's spelt) and I've tried letting clover generate states. I've also tried Mac Mini definitions, other iMac definitions and Mac Pro 3,1, all with the same results. The ONLY SMBIOS that gets me any more states than just idle and full blast is Macbook Pro 11,2.

Hence the original question.

here's my ssdt:
View attachment ssdt.aml

Thanks.....But.....

This is easier said than done. Using a SMBIOS for my hardware would equate to something akin to a iMac 14,2. Using iMac 14,2 will only give me 8,35,36,37,38,39 (idle, standard, and turbo states). I created a ssdt via ssdtprgen (however it's spelt) and I've tried letting clover generate states. I've also tried Mac Mini definitions, other iMac definitions and Mac Pro 3,1, all with the same results. The ONLY SMBIOS that gets me any more states than just idle and full blast is Macbook Pro 11,2.

Hence the original question.

here's my ssdt:
View attachment 166435

The states you mention are correct for the iMac14,2 SMBIOS. Why do you feel the choices Apple made for desktop computers are wrong?

I appreciate the help.

It seems odd to me that Apple would use so few pstates. Wouldn't it be more energy efficient to use more?

With Sandybridge we were getting 10+ (Mac Pro 3,1 definition w/ i5 2500k)
Was there a change in philosophy at Apple when Haswell was introduced?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back