CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
GTX960
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So the first BETA of macOS 10.13.4 is out for developers. And according to the documentation of it, it will start warning the user when he opens a 32-bit app, that it will soon stop working.

And also using the boot arg "-no32exec" on 10.13.4 will make 32-bit apps not run at all.

How does this affect hackintoshing in general?

Personally I think this is a terrible move, however the document doesn't clarify if this will only be for App Store Apps or for all in general, because the document also states "To prepare for a future release of macOS in which 32-bit software will no longer run without compromise." So does that mean that 32-bit apps will still run but with performance compromised?

This is so dumb, on iOS it was fine since its a mobile platform and it is "easier" for registered devs to just rebuild their app, however on macOS we have a gigantic number of Apps that are Old and work fine on current version of it, a example that comes to mind if Guitar Hero 3 for Mac, a great and old game that runs perfectly and will never see the light of an update again.

Imagine if Microsoft decides to kill 32-bit apps as well, more then half of legacy software that works fine will be killed of for no reason.

Actually MS is going to kill off win32 apps relatively soon. What are they calling it pegasus or something like that? A 64bit only os that might / might not run 32 bit apps , unless its in a kind of shell/emulator.

32bit apps should have been killed off years ago imo , but that would have pissed off many people. They have to kill off 32 bit app support 100% at some point and its better to do it sooner than later.

Im an iOS/macOS dev and am a-okay with this.

Actually MS is going to kill off win32 apps relatively soon. What are they calling it pegasus or something like that? A 64bit only os that might / might not run 32 bit apps , unless its in a kind of shell/emulator.

32bit apps should have been killed off years ago imo , but that would have pissed off many people. They have to kill off 32 bit app support 100% at some point and its better to do it sooner than later.

Im an iOS/macOS dev and am a-okay with this.

Oh, they will upset a lot of people still I'm pretty sure.

It's just that I don't think that the benefits of killing off 32-bit support are enough to justify breaking support for such a Gigantic amount of legacy software.

When this happens this situation will happen much more than you think.
You go to Google searching for a software to do something, you find it, then it doesn't work because it 32-bit.

I'm a iOS/macOS Dev as well, and I find that this will take a long time to settle in my head.

Dropping legacy tech has always been in Apple's DNA. Legacy ports (ADB, NuBus, etc), legacy devices (floppies, optical drives, etc), CPU architectures (PowerPC, 680x0). Apple has always led the way in this regard. It's a good thing. Keep marching forward and don't look back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back