Contribute
Register

Demystify eGPU's, possibility of 8gb RX480 and my mid 2014 15" MBP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Mid 2014 Macbook Pro 15", Quadcore i74980HQ 2.8ghz 16gb Ram
CPU
I7-4980HQ
Graphics
GT750M 2gb
Hello peoples of the tonymacx86.com

In case you haven't noticed, this place has kind of become an epicenter across the web for eGPU knowledge (unless there's another place, which I'd love to know about). Lots of google searches lead here, lots of people point here on ****** and other forums, and consequently I am here because I have some questions!

I currently own a mid-2014 15" Quadcore i7-4980HQ 2.8ghz (4ghz turbo boost??) Nvidia GT750m 2gb vram, 16gb ram TB2 equipped Macbook Pro. It's right before they switched to the AMD cards, it's been a dandy machine and I love it and has much more life left. I, however, have grown in the work I do with video editing and color grading, FCPX and DaVinci Resolve are two suites I work often in. In case you aren't familiar with the conundrum, FCPX is a very AMD-card optimized piece of software and Resolve was, until like 5 minutes ago when I went googling about it, what I thought was optimized for Nvidia cards. Turns out I was wrong, Resolve uses either OpenCL OR Cuda, and the RX480 appears to outperform the very expensive Titan X card here: https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=49713 (omgahd) so clearly the RX480 has the potential to be THE card for me. I don't care much for my Windows bootcamp partition, I don't anticipate I'll be doing any intensive gaming...ever really, but if I do I imagine Windows is going to come along soon to help

Upon further browsing I happened to stumble across the price tag for the 8gb RX480, I had previously been considering the Titan X (money aint no thang when you're trying to throw your life away for art) and an eGPU to go with it. Laugh at me all you want, I'm not impervious to the ridiculous markup of the BizonBox 2S, but I was probably going to get one of those because I don't have to dork around with any PSU soldering. But holy **** at the RX480 price tag! THAT'S IT!? WHAT'S THE CATCH FOR AN 8GB CARD AT $250-270 (depending on flavor) !? Am I missing something here?

I understand Apple exclusively has AMD stuff in anything they have for sale now, so I'm wondering about why these aren't being more widely used? I saw one thread on here where someone details his usage on a Mac Pro and doesn't seem to have to do much fiddling on Sierra as you would a Maxwell Nvidia card? (please correct me if I'm wrong about any of this stuff) I also read somewhere that only the Mac Pro is supported, but in that same thread he has it running with an external enclosure on a MBA. I'm assuming this means I should be okay running one on my MBP? I swear I have to be missing something here.

Theoretical question: I use my MBP in clamshell mode (vertical hengedock) and run a TB2 display. From what I gather a eGPU would instead run the display, freeing up a TB2 port on my laptop.........could I run two enclosures and two rx480's..?

Anyways, cheers in advance. Apologies if this is nooby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back