Contribute
Register

DemoneIvo iMac g4, 17" mod! Need advice on this project!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
iMac G4
CPU
1,25ghz
Graphics
Nvidia
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi folks,
I follow iMac g4 mods on this forum since first attempts and I have to say that here there are a lot of great engineers! My compliments! :D:D:D
I have decided to try to build a mod by myself but I need senior advice. Hope that you can give suggestion and help me in realizing this project!

Basically I want to throw away original LCD, internal components and everything else. Not interested in maintaining "pure" original design but in keeping only the dome and the neck of the original iMac. I wish the work to be as simple as possible and to realize a modern PC with dome and neck.

These are my goals:

1) change original display with this one ASUS VS228H-P box dimension 566x443x130, 3,1 kg. I think it's perfect in size and weight for a 17 neck. Vesa mounting 100x100 which I think to reduce to a 75x75. I wish to keep power cable and hdmi cable outside the neck as "flying cable", no problem if they are visible. One will go directly into house electrical power, and the hdmi cable will go externally to the hdmi port on the bottom of the dome.
I need technical advice on how modify neck in order to house the vesa 75x75 and support asus dislpay.

2) throw all the inside of the original imac and change it with an Intel Nuc or some small motherboard. Which model do you suggest? I need at least intel core i3, or i5, usb 3 ports, hdmi.
What is the correct position to insert it? I wish to dremel imac ports to leave a blank uniform stripe where motherboard ports can exit (not a polished work but I need blank space for NUC's ports). Can I place intel nuc on the side in order to have ports which directly exit on the blank stripes or do I need to create wires extensions and place the nuc motherboard in the centre?
Which technical problem can I face? (wireless antennas, cooling, power supply?)

Sorry for my bad bad english, hope that you understand my problems and can give me suggestions on how to proceed.

I'll keep you posted :D

demoneivo,

Welcome to the community. You will find an answer to almost all of your questions, if you carefully read my HemiMac and Ersterhernd's NUCiMac Thread. Pics tell more than 1000s of words and you will find lots of them here.

In general, it's no problem to fit a NUC inside the dome, if you don't keep the optical drive. If you keep it (like I did it), then it's getting VERY tight...

Good hacking!

MacTester

Thank 'e a lot! I've been reading through a thousand of posts and found really interesting materials to work on!
i've already completely disassembled my iMac and I've prepared a vesa plate whith right holes and secured it on iMac arm!
i've a question for you: which weight can support 17" iMac arm and which weigh can be tolerated by a 20" iMac arm?
have you suggestions on monitors or led tv to put on it? I've seen a lot of 18,5 and 21,5 widescreen monitors or tv that can fits but I wish to know the correct weight and thickness of them before buying. I've to be quite precise because the arm is very delicate and with different weight it can sag or slide down. Can someone tell me the exact weight of a 20" inch iMac display? (Bezel+LCD display+back plate cover)?

Thank's! I think that iMac g4 design is impossible to improve, that's why I have another one fully functional original and not modded iMac g4 17" ;p plastics are so white and shiny it seems just bought in an apple store. It's my personal reliquary! This one I'm modding is one I found on eBay for just 40 euro! It's more a pure mod made for having a powerful workstation. Returning in topic, I don't understand if he use in the mod you linked me a 17" neck or a 20" neck! Any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back