Contribute
Register

Dell XPS 9560 recommended as a daily driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell XPS 9560
CPU
i7-7700HQ
Graphics
Intel > Need Intel graphics full model number > See Rules!
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi guys,
I'm planning to upgrade my Macbook Pro Mid 2014. Since I don't agree with Apple's latests price politics, I am looking into the hackintosh world for a new notebook. I'm fairly familiar with hackintoshes, I built my first one in 2012 and later switched to a HP Elite 8300 that is running Mojave smoothly and which I use daily. Lately, I tried OS X on a Thinkpad X230 and T420.

Honestly, I prefer the HP over my Macbook because it is quite snappier and feels faster to use. However, I still need a mobile machine and plan to switch completely to a laptop that would be used docked (two displays, keyboard, mouse, wired ethernet) 50% of the time.
I work as a doctor and researcher, therefore I mostly browse the Internet, use office related apps and SPSS for statistics. Casual gaming on Windows is nice but not necessarily needed. I do value screen size (15 inch) and resolution (4K) for mobile working, as I don't want to take a step back to 1080p.

I read through the forum and r/hackintosh and found that the most recommended laptop seems to be the Dell XPS 9560. I'd say that it perfectly fits my needs. Hot-swapping a dock still seems to be problematic, but manually connecting all displays and peripherals without a dock is manageable for me.

Is there anybody using the Dell XPS 9560 hackintoshed as daily driver, and would you recommend this machine? Is sleep working without problems, even over night or say 2 days? Are there other laptops worth looking into?

Thank you for your help!

Motherboard
Dell XPS 9560
CPU
i7-7700
Graphics
GTX 1050+HD 630
Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z490 Creator
CPU
i5-10600K
Graphics