Intel® Core™ i7-8550U
Graphics
Intel UHD 620/QHD+ 3200x1800 touch display
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

I'm trying to install MacOS High Sierra v10.13 on the new Dell XPS 9360 with KabyLake i7 CPU. I was able to boot from USB, erase and format the SSD and run the "Install MacOS High Sierra" application successfully.

However, after the computer reboots and the installation resumes, the OSInstaller crashes with the following message:
macOS Installer(551,0x70000fa87000) malloc: *** error for object 0x7f8208c390fb: pointer being freed was not allocated.
Thinking that it might be just a temporary issue, I rebooted the computer and re-ran the second phase of the installation but the error persists.

Coming back to the error, another thing I could notice was repeated errors saying:
preallocation not supported on this filesystem for /Volumes/bless.nrb6/EFI/APPLE/UPDATERS/MULTIUPDATER/...
This happens numerous time right before the malloc error described before.

I can't seem to find a similar problem anywhere on the internet. Thus, any suggestions and help will be greatly appreciated
smile.png
Thanks.

PS: Attached are the zipped CLOVER folder & the full Installation Log (the malloc error starts at line 544)

Attachments

• CLOVER 11-45-23-739.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 335
  • Installer Log 30-Nov-2017.txt
    141.3 KB · Views: 375
Hi all,

I'm trying to install MacOS High Sierra v10.13 on the new Dell XPS 9360 with KabyLake i7 CPU. I was able to boot from USB, erase and format the SSD and run the "Install MacOS High Sierra" application successfully.

However, after the computer reboots and the installation resumes, the OSInstaller crashes with the following message:
macOS Installer(551,0x70000fa87000) malloc: *** error for object 0x7f8208c390fb: pointer being freed was not allocated.
Thinking that it might be just a temporary issue, I rebooted the computer and re-ran the second phase of the installation but the error persists.

Coming back to the error, another thing I could notice was repeated errors saying:
preallocation not supported on this filesystem for /Volumes/bless.nrb6/EFI/APPLE/UPDATERS/MULTIUPDATER/...
This happens numerous time right before the malloc error described before.

I can't seem to find a similar problem anywhere on the internet. Thus, any suggestions and help will be greatly appreciated
smile.png
Thanks.

PS: Attached are the zipped CLOVER folder & the full Installation Log (the malloc error starts at line 544)
drivers64UEFI is not per guide
kexts/other is not per guide either
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

Attachments

• Installer Log 1-Dec-2017.txt
    236.1 KB · Views: 421
  • CLOVER.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 209
Thanks for the reply, I've modified my drivers64UEFI & kexts folders according to the guide (with the exception of CoreDisplayFixup.kext for the built-in QHD display). However, it produces the same error as before - see the attached InstallerLog.txt .
looking at your config.plist and Rehabman's

<key>Intel</key>
<false/>
<key>NVidia</key>
<false/>

those two should be set to true, did you make any other changes?

may be best to use config.plist as is from the guide

The config was taken from config_HD615_620_630_640_650.plist, apart from disabling Intel and NVidia injections, the only other difference was to change SMBIOS to MacBookPro14,1 . Just tried with both Intel and NVidia enabled but this time "Boot OS X Install from Install macOS High Sierra" fails halfway. Right after the "Graphics flags" appears, logs came flying out for about 2 seconds (managed to capture a rather still image, see attached) ending with "Attempting system restart..." after which the computer shuts down and restarts immediately.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-01 at 7.55.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-01 at 7.55.30 PM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 528
The config was taken from config_HD615_620_630_640_650.plist, apart from disabling Intel and NVidia injections, the only other difference was to change SMBIOS to MacBookPro14,1 . Just tried with both Intel and NVidia enabled but this time "Boot OS X Install from Install macOS High Sierra" fails halfway. Right after the "Graphics flags" appears, logs came flying out for about 2 seconds (managed to capture a rather still image, see attached) ending with "Attempting system restart..." after which the computer shuts down and restarts immediately.
use an invalid platform for graphics until you have installed:

change
<key>ig-platform-id</key>
<string>0x591b0000</string>

to

<string>0x12345678</string>

use an invalid platform for graphics until you have installed:

change
<string>0x591b0000</string>

to

<string>0x12345678</string>

Ok, able to get to the installer again now, will update later whether the error persists. :)

It worked! @feartech Thanks so much for your help, seems like enabling Intel & NVidia + using tmp invalid platform id for graphics was the fix.

One last issue I've been having is the screen resolution. Due to the higher resolution of the QHD+ screen, everything in the OS seems scaled down (like iMac screen forced into the 13-inch display), is there a way to scale it up to normal? + animations like opening the launch pad looks horrible (skips lots of frame).

Attachments

• IMG_1016.JPG
    IMG_1016.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,073
It worked! @feartech Thanks so much for your help, seems like enabling Intel & NVidia + using tmp invalid platform id for graphics was the fix.

One last issue I've been having is the screen resolution. Due to the higher resolution of the QHD+ screen, everything in the OS seems scaled down (like iMac screen forced into the 13-inch display), is there a way to scale it up to normal? + animations like opening the launch pad looks horrible (skips lots of frame).
glad you got it working :)

the section in the guide i linked you above, check the section:
DVMT-prealloc on Broadwell/Skylake/Kaby Lake

that should get you up and running with better graphics (no chopping) and you can then probably have the option to change screen resolution

glad you got it working :)

the section in the guide i linked you above, check the section:
DVMT-prealloc on Broadwell/Skylake/Kaby Lake

that should get you up and running with better graphics (no chopping) and you can then probably have the option to change screen resolution

Hi @feartech, just found out in BIOS>System Information that my "Video Memory" is 64MB (see below), thus is there still a need to change the dvmt-prealloc?

IMG_1018.JPG

If changing dvmt-prealloc is still required, does my case require patching IOKit and ApplpeIntelBDWGraohicsFrameBuffer besides modifying dvmt-prealloc ? Besides, how do I dump/fetch a completed BIOS file for my xps13 (windows has been wiped from disk)? - can I extract it from the BIOS setup exe provided here: http://www.dell.com/support/home/en/en/debsdt1/product-support/product/xps-13-9360-laptop/drivers?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back