Contribute
Register

Dell XPS 8930 High Sierra Guide 10.13.6 (Nvidia 1050Ti)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Dandelionclock

I have finally got a hold of a radeon 560 which i believe is compatible with mojave

I havent done anything yet, but tomorrow I might clone existing xps8930 drive which is still on high sierra and nvidia 1050 and then simply remove the nvidia card and replace it with the radeon

do you think this will just work without having to do anything else and do you think i can then try to upggrade to mojave with the radeon inside the computer (again without making any significant changes to my original install)

?

I'm not positive, but I think it'll work with whatevergreen kext out of the box.

I have been considering an Rx580 or Rx590 too, but not sure if there's enough space inside the case, and whether the power supply is enough for it.

Hi Dandelionclock

I have finally got a hold of a radeon 560 which i believe is compatible with mojave

I havent done anything yet, but tomorrow I might clone existing xps8930 drive which is still on high sierra and nvidia 1050 and then simply remove the nvidia card and replace it with the radeon

do you think this will just work without having to do anything else and do you think i can then try to upggrade to mojave with the radeon inside the computer (again without making any significant changes to my original install)

?

i will experiment and let you know...

i am assuming i should remove all NVIDIA references / drivers?

side note - the card i have doesnt look as small as the bespoke dell NVIDIA card but it doesnt require any additional power connections...i am hoping it will physically fit inside the case...

hoping the performance will be at least as good as the 1050ti which has been more than adequate for my purposes

Hi Dandelionclock

I finally got around to doing a bit of testing - this is what I did

My original install followed your original guide and has been working well but I have been unable to upgrade to mojave because of the NVIDIA 1050 Ti

I recently got a MSI Radeon RX 560 with 4gb ram, which I tested in a real mac pro with mojave and it seemed to work fine. I chose this card because it didnt need any additional power connection (like the NVIDIA card that comes with the XPS 8930)

I cloned my existing hard drive (high sierra) onto a new SSD and after removing the NVIDIA drivers, I followed these steps in your mojave guide (#15)

• Remove IntelGraphicsFixup, NvidiaGraphicsFixup, and Shiki from /Library/Extentions. These have been replaced with WhateverGreen
  • Install WhateverGreen with KextBeast or Clover Configurator
The MSI Radeon card isn't big, but it was a snug fit inside the dell case. Ultimately the card was just the right size and there were no problems putting everything back together

The machine booted up perfectly back in to high sierra and I just let the computer upgrade itself via the app store and all seems OK so far

I didnt make any changes to the files in the EFI folder from the original install - everything seems to be working just as it did when the original NVIDIA card was in the machine

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 165
Hi guys.
I bought a 8930 and installed Mojave (10.14.3) following this guide. My first time on a Hackintosh, and I know both the High Sierra and Mojave will work for my use, but I wanted to install the newest Mojave, and I'm facing some problems.

I tried to do everything I read here and on other forums, I removed my 1050ti physically and I'm using Intel UHD 630.
I'm using the HDMI port on my motherboard and the screen is pink.

No blinkers, flaws, artifacts, but only pink.

The image is fluid, with animations, effects, without locks, but pink.

Anything I can do to fix this or should I go to the High Sierra?

The same thing happened to me. Install the latest WhateverGreen.Kext and Lilu.kext and apply these settings:

If you are using igpu use the SMBIOS iMac18,1.

In Clover Configurator

Devices> Properties
Devices
PciRoot (0x0) / Pci (0x2,0x0)
enable-hdmi20 / 00080000 / DATA
View attachment 395503

Graphics> ig-platform-id> 0x3E9B0007
View attachment 395504

Reboot.

If you install a dedicated GPU, you must change SMBIOS and ig-platform-id.
Still pink for me. Are you on last Mojave? Can you show me your config.plist?

Still pink for me. Are you on last Mojave? Can you show me your config.plist?
Did you change SMBios to 18,1? I want to say I remember having this issue during my install but changing SMBios fixed it.

This model comes with a power supply of 460W. The maximum power consumption of the RX 580 is 185W for most models. The PSU's recommendation is 500W, so it should be enough. The RX 590 requires a little more, since its consumption is on average 215W or more.

I do not have access to my PC now to be able to confirm, but according to that matter in pcworld (here), that same PSU comes in models with GTX 1080 and its limit is 225W.
Problem is the OEM GPU doesn’t have the connectors for the rx580 which requires dedicated power supply.

Size still matters. The 260mm cards would go over my NVMe SSD so I’m not sure if that’s a good idea. Maybe a Sapphire Pulse is more appropriate, but then heat dissipation would be another issue. ATI is just not a very efficient graphics chip imo.

Hi Dandelionclock

I finally got around to doing a bit of testing - this is what I did

My original install followed your original guide and has been working well but I have been unable to upgrade to mojave because of the NVIDIA 1050 Ti

I recently got a MSI Radeon RX 560 with 4gb ram, which I tested in a real mac pro with mojave and it seemed to work fine. I chose this card because it didnt need any additional power connection (like the NVIDIA card that comes with the XPS 8930)

I cloned my existing hard drive (high sierra) onto a new SSD and after removing the NVIDIA drivers, I followed these steps in your mojave guide (#15)

• Remove IntelGraphicsFixup, NvidiaGraphicsFixup, and Shiki from /Library/Extentions. These have been replaced with WhateverGreen
  • Install WhateverGreen with KextBeast or Clover Configurator
The MSI Radeon card isn't big, but it was a snug fit inside the dell case. Ultimately the card was just the right size and there were no problems putting everything back together

The machine booted up perfectly back in to high sierra and I just let the computer upgrade itself via the app store and all seems OK so far

I didnt make any changes to the files in the EFI folder from the original install - everything seems to be working just as it did when the original NVIDIA card was in the machine
Mind if you upload your configuration plist? I got myself an RX580 and I’m having trouble with the IGPU. It seems 10.14.4 broke something but I haven’t had time to look into it very deeply.

Mind if you upload your configuration plist? I got myself an RX580 and I’m having trouble with the IGPU. It seems 10.14.4 broke something but I haven’t had time to look into it very deeply.
will do - i am not able to get in front of my dell machine at the moment, probably till tomorrow
however, in the meantime - i literally did not change a thing from your original guide for high sierra...i am on 10.44 as well and the 560 seems to be working ok (or i havent noticed anything that was broken since i swapped the graphics cards and updated to mojave)

will upload the config later or tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back