Contribute
Register

Dell XPS 7590 FHD (Nearly Complete)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get this kernel panic issue sometimes, does anyone know what possibly can caused it?
20200326_093210.jpg

@pmdevita

I am happily using this efi config, BUT one question is bugging my mind:
Are we sure the discrete nvidia graphics is disabled after sleep/wake?

I am experiencing substantial battery draining difference between cold boot (very good) and after sleep->wake (much much poorer). I tested both scenarios in idle and with no differences in usage.

My only guess is the discrete nvidia card turning on (?)... but I may be wrong (what else can be?)...
Any hint on how I can further investigate this (nvidia or other)?

@pmdevita

I am happily using this efi config, BUT one question is bugging my mind:
Are we sure the discrete nvidia graphics is disabled after sleep/wake?

I am experiencing substantial battery draining difference between cold boot (very good) and after sleep->wake (much much poorer). I tested both scenarios in idle and with no differences in usage.

My only guess is the discrete nvidia card turning on (?)... but I may be wrong (what else can be?)...
Any hint on how I can further investigate this (nvidia or other)?

I am attaching this image that shows how system behaves. It is totally idle in both tests (no power consumption apps, and screen always on with the same brightness)

The first time period is at cold boot, cable unplugged after a while, battery starts discharging at a very good rate (3% in 15 minutes).
Then there is a gap, that is sleep time, and after wake the consumption more than doubled in even less amount of time! (7% in 11 minutes)

I really have no clue on what is causing this (weather dgpu or other devices)...

Attachments

• Schermata 2020-05-07 alle 14.22.19.png
    Schermata 2020-05-07 alle 14.22.19.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 105
That is interesting, I'll take a look. @Shadowed87 what's that battery measurement app you are using?

Last edited:
10.15.4 seems to be working for me. You can either update the kexts (using Hackintool is fastest) and CloverEFI or wait for me to push an update to GitHub

I get this kernel panic issue sometimes, does anyone know what possibly can caused it?View attachment 457163
Unfortunately, this picture doesn't tell me much. You would need the text at the right as it starts outputting the panic. You can try and check your boot logs (google it, I don't know how) or film your screen and replay it in slow motion.

Ack sorry for the reply spam everyone, I forgot that I should be merging these.

That is interesting, I'll take a look. @Shadowed87 what's that battery measurement app you are using?

Thank you for your reply. In the end there was something corrupted in my config.plist file! I rebuild it piece after piece and found out that it was the dGPU not going to sleep after wakeup.
The patches _WAK to ZWAK and _PTS to ZPTS did the trick!

The program I am using is iStat Menus, the battery indicator has that drop down.

Thanks again. Keep up your good work!

So I just did the test myself and I can confirm it drains significantly faster after waking from sleep. However, I already had the _WAK to ZWAK and _PTS to ZPTS patches enabled. Are you sure it's fixed for you? If it is, can you send me your EFI?
Untitled.png

So I just did the test myself and I can confirm it drains significantly faster after waking from sleep. However, I already had the _WAK to ZWAK and _PTS to ZPTS patches enabled. Are you sure it's fixed for you? If it is, can you send me your EFI?
View attachment 469586

I actually changed many times here and there, trying many things (it's the first time I am doing it).
Now I am building it from scratch with OpenCore merging everything, saving all the changes on an excel file.

This is the efi: https://github.com/shadowed87/Hackintosh-XPS-7590
This is the excel (multiple sheets): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/146Cw4ydiRepnPd5O8-RmTHnJKhU7TVflvWK8MFEQMR4/

In the end I am using the ptswak (both aml and patches) from this guy https://github.com/hrytskivr/rba-hackintosh/ (althoug are for razer looks like the drain disappear, can you confirm it?)

Now maybe sometimes (very rarely) after wake the battery drain seems to come back (but after 1w testing I'll have consistent data)... It's still a work in progress of course...

Good to know you are on it as well.

I figured it out. Daliansky is using Rehabman's laptop hotpatches for a decent amount of the patching. Turns out that even though the config SSDT (SSDT-RMCF) has turn on/off GPU on sleep/wake enabled (DPTS is set to 1), the SSDT that is then supposed to do this (SSDT-PTSWAK) thinks that it is disabled (DPTS is 0?) and so the fix isn't performed. I hardcoded in the off/on like they did in the Razer config linked above and that does fix it but I would prefer it just actually work as intended. I'll push an update with the fix soon.

For anyone lurking with some DSDT knowledge, do you know why PTSWAK might be reading RMCF.DPTS as a 0 even though in RMCF it is set to 1?

Also of note, the new 2.4 update for VoodooI2C does not work for this laptop, it's pretty buggy. Make sure you stay on 2.3 for now.

EDIT: Got headphones working after sleep, turns out layout-id 28 works better than 72. I updated the repo with the fix

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back