Contribute
Register

Dell XPS 18 - Is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to give an update, I'm still waiting on Mavericks to download again. The original download was on the computer that now has Mac installed. I couldn't back up the hard drive because it would tell me there's not enough room (even on a 1TB hard drive that was empty... that I did not get. Hmmm).

One thing that I'm pondering while I wait:
I noticed as I was rebooting with the current installation on this machine, that the SiS Touch Controller, which has to do with the touchscreen, is referenced by IOUCompositeDriver in the jumbled mess that is visible due to verbose boot. I have noticed that when I accidentally touch the computer screen, like if I'm moving the computer around or from one room to another, that the mouse will jump to the upper left hand corner of the screen.

Do you think it's possible if a driver were to be written for it that it would work? The OS is at least recognizing that something happened when the screen is touched....

Just to give an update, I'm still waiting on Mavericks to download again. The original download was on the computer that now has Mac installed. I couldn't back up the hard drive because it would tell me there's not enough room (even on a 1TB hard drive that was empty... that I did not get. Hmmm).

One thing that I'm pondering while I wait:
I noticed as I was rebooting with the current installation on this machine, that the SiS Touch Controller, which has to do with the touchscreen, is referenced by IOUCompositeDriver in the jumbled mess that is visible due to verbose boot. I have noticed that when I accidentally touch the computer screen, like if I'm moving the computer around or from one room to another, that the mouse will jump to the upper left hand corner of the screen.

Do you think it's possible if a driver were to be written for it that it would work? The OS is at least recognizing that something happened when the screen is touched....

Some people have purchased an OS X driver for their touchscreen from touch-base.com.

Interestingly enough... I was sitting on Facebook on my mac, and all of a sudden I hear a noise coming from the speaker from a notification... which is odd because I hadn't gotten to that part yet... they just started working...

This sucks because I wish I knew what I did to make it work.... GRR!!! I can't document it.... I had put the backup dsdt back in because I copied the other one to a USB drive to back it up in preparation to re-install mavericks, and since the the sound now works... I decided to see if the "show battery in status bar" option would stay checked, and it does!!! What the crap!?! It shows an "X" in the icon, but it still stays put...

I know I installed that BatteryManager kext earlier... but you were not able to see it in my ioreg file. Maybe the driver should be installed first, and then make the DSDT file changes with the patch?

Interestingly enough... I was sitting on Facebook on my mac, and all of a sudden I hear a noise coming from the speaker from a notification... which is odd because I hadn't gotten to that part yet... they just started working...

This sucks because I wish I knew what I did to make it work.... GRR!!! I can't document it.... I had put the backup dsdt back in because I copied the other one to a USB drive to back it up in preparation to re-install mavericks, and since the the sound now works... I decided to see if the "show battery in status bar" option would stay checked, and it does!!! What the crap!?! It shows an "X" in the icon, but it still stays put...

I know I installed that BatteryManager kext earlier... but you were not able to see it in my ioreg file. Maybe the driver should be installed first, and then make the DSDT file changes with the patch?

Order on battery manager kext vs. patches doesn't matter. Boot with "-f" and post your ioreg, and I'll take a look.

edited: Never mind. I read on to get my answer. DOH!

I originall asked a stupid question. "Where can I figure out how to get an smbios.plist for the MacbookAir5,2". But I answered my own question by reading. I wanted to delete the post but couldnt figure out how. so I just edited it. Still working on this. My USB Ports quit working, so I've had to reinstall mavericks anyway. When I boot into it for the first time (during my lunch break), I'll copy over the entire contents of my other usb that has all the programs I need to make fixes to the computer.

OK. I've tried all evening... running into the same kernel panic upon booting up. I've read and re-read the power management article, and I'm stuck.

I see:

P-State Stepper Error 18 at step 29 in context 2 on CPU 0
panic(cpu 2 caller 0Xffffff7f81a44c52): pmLock: waited too long, held by o@0xffffff80002e44ef
Debugger called: <panic>
Backtrace (CPU 2), Frame : Return Address
0xffffff807da23cb0 : 0Xffffff8000222f69
[Insert more of the same jumble of alpha-numeric characters]
Kernel Extensions in backtrace:
com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement (216.0)[A6EE4D7B-228E-3A3C-95BA-10ED6F331236]@0XFFFFFF7F81A32000->0XFFFFFF7F81A5CFFF

I know I installed the patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. I'm not sure what I've done wrong, but this is not working. Everything works fine until I try to follow the second part of that power management article. Now, the only way to get in to the OS is to boot with -x and that kills my wifi, so I have no internet connection on it.

OK. I've tried all evening... running into the same kernel panic upon booting up. I've read and re-read the power management article, and I'm stuck.

I see:

P-State Stepper Error 18 at step 29 in context 2 on CPU 0
panic(cpu 2 caller 0Xffffff7f81a44c52): pmLock: waited too long, held by o@0xffffff80002e44ef
Debugger called: <panic>
Backtrace (CPU 2), Frame : Return Address
0xffffff807da23cb0 : 0Xffffff8000222f69
[Insert more of the same jumble of alpha-numeric characters]
Kernel Extensions in backtrace:
com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement (216.0)[A6EE4D7B-228E-3A3C-95BA-10ED6F331236]@0XFFFFFF7F81A32000->0XFFFFFF7F81A5CFFF

I know I installed the patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. I'm not sure what I've done wrong, but this is not working. Everything works fine until I try to follow the second part of that power management article. Now, the only way to get in to the OS is to boot with -x and that kills my wifi, so I have no internet connection on it.

Post your SSDT.aml. If you're using MacBookAir it seems that those with an i3, need to do some edits on the generated SSDT. For some reason, the generated file for i3s common for MacBookPro scenarios do not require the same edits. Something is wrong in The ssdtprgen script, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back