Contribute
Register

Dell XPS 18 - Is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK... I've been trying for a few days now to figure out how to work this MaciASL... Maybe i'm missing something... and maybe I've been using PC's for too long... but I cannot for the life of me figure out even how to open the program. I downloaded the zip file from the website and now I'm completely lost... Is there another thread that spells it out for me?

Where did you download it from? It is an .app bundle just like any other Mac app.

When you had me download the laptop patches, there was a link inside the readme file to your github website... I followed that link and downloaded with the .zip button on the right side of the screen.... so it was just a bunch of files with folders.... Where's the link to the .app file?

When you had me download the laptop patches, there was a link inside the readme file to your github website... I followed that link and downloaded with the .zip button on the right side of the screen.... so it was just a bunch of files with folders.... Where's the link to the .app file?

Did you read the README at the MaciASL link?

ok. Detoured a bit when my wifi adapter came in. I have downloaded the drivers from the website. I had to download the 10.8 (beta) version because there aren't any drivers yet for 10.9 (surprise). I have the edimax 7711UN. After google searches, it seems to have worked with 10.8. However, when I install on 10.9, the icon for the software (Wireless Network Utility) just bounces up and down and then quits responding, and never opens. So I'm still stuck without wifi (and it's making me angry...). Im still searching for an answer that might help me get this thing to run. I've also tried downloading realtek drivers, and still not working.

OK. After a week or so of pulling my hair out trying to figure out why the wifi wasn't working, I attempted to boot up without using -x boot flag (which before wouldn't let me log in without being in safe mode...) and it worked first try. I don't believe I changed anything... except for installing the drivers for the Edimax EW-7811UN nano USB wifi adapter. Once I logged in, the wifi utility opened right up and I was able to connect to my home wifi. Apparently, the wifi utility won't even open (it stops responding on install) when you've booted up in safe mode. Learned something new today!
SUCCESS!!!! :thumbup::clap::headbang:

Though I'm sure by now you're tired of me. I just wanted to throw this update out there. I've been learning a lot by going into this hackintosh installation blindly. Now I will be moving on to attempt the graphics fix suggested by RehabMan.

Wish me luck!!! :crazy: :problem:

Well that was fast...

OK. Following your directions for patches to fix graphics, I installed MaciASL. I opened it up, set the source files to the URL at your github site. I clicked on Compile, and I get the following:

(NOTE: I would post a screenshot, but I cannot get the Grab tool to work. The first two are Red. everything else is yellow.)

LINE CODE MESSAGE
8357 4080 Invalid Object Type for reserved name (Found BUFFER, requires
PACKAGE)
8420 4080 Invalid Object Type for reserved name (Found BUFFER, requires
PACKAGE)
8650 1099 Unknown reserved name (_WDG)
8707 1088 Not all control paths return a value (WMHV)
8722 1088 Not all control paths return a value (WMDT)
8743 1088 Not all control paths return a value (WMPD)
8764 1088 Not all control paths return a value (WMBT)
8773 1099 Unknown reserved name (_WED)

Everything else is a white chat bubble with a "!" in it. I can type those too if needed. They were white so they didn't strike me as a problem. Though I could be wrong since I'm not a programmer at all. I don't know how I should fix these, but with the expert help of many of those on this website, I'm sure I can fix it. Please let me know what your suggestions are to fix the errors, if any fixes are needed, before moving on to the next step. Thank you all for bearing with me, especially RehabMan. I should have a good enough guide to put together before too long!

Well that was fast...

OK. Following your directions for patches to fix graphics, I installed MaciASL. I opened it up, set the source files to the URL at your github site. I clicked on Compile, and I get the following:

(NOTE: I would post a screenshot, but I cannot get the Grab tool to work. The first two are Red. everything else is yellow.)

LINE CODE MESSAGE
8357 4080 Invalid Object Type for reserved name (Found BUFFER, requires
PACKAGE)
8420 4080 Invalid Object Type for reserved name (Found BUFFER, requires
PACKAGE)
8650 1099 Unknown reserved name (_WDG)
8707 1088 Not all control paths return a value (WMHV)
8722 1088 Not all control paths return a value (WMDT)
8743 1088 Not all control paths return a value (WMPD)
8764 1088 Not all control paths return a value (WMBT)

Everything else is a white chat bubble with a "!" in it. I can type those too if needed. They were white so they didn't strike me as a problem. Though I could be wrong since I'm not a programmer at all. I don't know how I should fix these, but with the expert help of many of those on this website, I'm sure I can fix it. Please let me know what your suggestions are to fix the errors, if any fixes are needed, before moving on to the next step. Thank you all for bearing with me, especially RehabMan. I should have a good enough guide to put together before too long!

Just use the "Fix _PLD Buffer/Package Error." That should fix the errors (assuming it is in a _PLD)... Otherwise, post the DSDT.

Just use the "Fix _PLD Buffer/Package Error." That should fix the errors (assuming it is in a _PLD)... Otherwise, post the DSDT.

Thank you! I used that patch, and all the others in the previous Graphics Fix post that you listed. Rebooted, and only had to input "GraphicsEnabler=No" since I checked off "IGPEnabler=No" in Multibeast right after installation.

The graphics on this machine seem to work 10x better! I logged in to a resolution of 1920 x 1080, and also have two other options in the display settings. I think I'll leave it where it's at because it looks great!

However, when I try to access youtube.com and watch a video, it tells me "This video is currently unavailable". I went to adobe's website and downloaded and installed the latest flash player, but it still gives me the same error.

I also now need to get the sound working and I think I'll be in good shape.

Thank you! I used that patch, and all the others in the previous Graphics Fix post that you listed. Rebooted, and only had to input "GraphicsEnabler=No" since I checked off "IGPEnabler=No" in Multibeast right after installation.

That is correct. When you use DSDT injection, you should turn off bootloader injection.

The graphics on this machine seem to work 10x better! I logged in to a resolution of 1920 x 1080, and also have two other options in the display settings. I think I'll leave it where it's at because it looks great!

DSDT is doing its job...

However, when I try to access youtube.com and watch a video, it tells me "This video is currently unavailable". I went to adobe's website and downloaded and installed the latest flash player, but it still gives me the same error.

Sounds like a youtube problem...

Post ioreg if you want me to verify the drivers are ok: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html

Well, I rebooted the machine, even though it did not tell me to. It seems to be working now, other than the fact that there's no sound. I've attached the ioreg file.

I'm not sure how to turn off boot loader injection. Is there a way to add "GraphicsEnabler=No" somewhere so that I can boot up the machine and not have to wait to catch it to input the boot flag?

The only other thing I need fixed on this is the sound (at least it's the only thing that I'm aware of) and then I'll have a fully working "hackintosh". Then I'll begin working on a guide for installation on this machine.

Thank you!

P.S. The attachment showed a "text file" icon, but I verified the file opens in ioreg before I submitted it in the post.... hopefully it works and opens like it should. Otherwise let me know and I'll zip it up in a .zip file.

Attachments

• Elizabeth’s Mac Pro.ioreg
    3.6 MB · Views: 203
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back