Contribute
Register

Dell XPS 18 - Is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that I've followed your article up to rebooting, I'm getting the "Still Waiting for root device" issue during boot up, (not to mention Chimera is all text, and did not have any graphics like it did the first time.) How do I get back in, and what do I need to change? Will I have to reinstall the OS?

Now that I've followed your article up to rebooting, I'm getting the "Still Waiting for root device" issue during boot up, (not to mention Chimera is all text, and did not have any graphics like it did the first time.) How do I get back in, and what do I need to change? Will I have to reinstall the OS?

Follow the instructions at the link I gave you. You should still be able to boot by using your Unibeast USB.

I think I'm just going to hush and not respond back except maybe once a night, if that... I shut down the computer and let it set for about 5 minutes. The Chimera screen came up normal and I booted up using old boot flags and it worked just fine. Hmmm...

Anywho, I'll work more on this during the evening and report back tomorrow.

RehabMan... Thank you for all of your assistance with this so far! It is greatly appreciated!

I think I'm just going to hush and not respond back except maybe once a night, if that... I shut down the computer and let it set for about 5 minutes. The Chimera screen came up normal and I booted up using old boot flags and it worked just fine. Hmmm...

Anywho, I'll work more on this during the evening and report back tomorrow.

RehabMan... Thank you for all of your assistance with this so far! It is greatly appreciated!

Once you get it booting from the HDD, respond with ioreg: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html

Ok... I have just reinstalled Mavericks... Starting over from scratch. There is NO extras folder, and NO dsdt file in the root folder... I'm at a loss... this may be causing the problems I've had earlier. Do I need to find one and download it? Or is it supposed to have one? Even during booting up, in verbose mode, it had said that no dsdt file was found.

Ok... I have just reinstalled Mavericks... Starting over from scratch. There is NO extras folder, and NO dsdt file in the root folder... I'm at a loss... this may be causing the problems I've had earlier. Do I need to find one and download it? Or is it supposed to have one? Even during booting up, in verbose mode, it had said that no dsdt file was found.

You need to follow the instructions here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...nagement-sandy-bridge-ivy-bridge-laptops.html

I've followed it yet again and still get the same result:

I unplug the installation USB while it's rebooting, so that it boots from the installed bootloader. I get to a point where it just keeps posting over and over "Still waiting on root device". I dont think that process is working for me. It gets to talking about Power management then waits for the root device. It refuses to go further and I'm at a loss for what to do next.

I have started over again reinstalling Mavericks since I cant seem to get through the error. I'll have to try a different path. My system is not agreeing with something that is being installed via Multibeast. I'll have to find a different way to figure out what all I need installed on my system.

I have followed the directions via the link for the IORegistry. Attached you will find the resulting file, which I verified opened up in the Program. This was done right after installation, nothing else added.View attachment Elizabeth’s Mac Pro.zip

I've followed it yet again and still get the same result:

I unplug the installation USB while it's rebooting, so that it boots from the installed bootloader. I get to a point where it just keeps posting over and over "Still waiting on root device". I dont think that process is working for me. It gets to talking about Power management then waits for the root device. It refuses to go further and I'm at a loss for what to do next.

I have started over again reinstalling Mavericks since I cant seem to get through the error. I'll have to try a different path. My system is not agreeing with something that is being installed via Multibeast. I'll have to find a different way to figure out what all I need installed on my system.

I have followed the directions via the link for the IORegistry. Attached you will find the resulting file, which I verified opened up in the Program. This was done right after installation, nothing else added.View attachment 71917

Try installing "3rd party SATA" from Multibeast.

Try installing "3rd party SATA" from Multibeast.

Ok, Once I got Mavericks re-installed, I went into the package files of multibeast and installed only the "3rd party SATA" file, rebooted to the USB and ran the new installation with bootflags "-v -x IGPEnabler=No" and everything went just fine. I ended up at the login screen.

Ok, Once I got Mavericks re-installed, I went into the package files of multibeast and installed only the "3rd party SATA" file, rebooted to the USB and ran the new installation with bootflags "-v -x IGPEnabler=No" and everything went just fine. I ended up at the login screen.

Well, yes, that would be expected... "3rd_party_SATA" is on the Unibeast USB. Try installing the bootloader per power management guide and boot direct from your HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back