Contribute
Register

Dell XPS 18 - Is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok... this is a complete Noob question... but how do I access the /Extra folder? I know it's hidden, but I've been searching for a way to "unhide" this folder for an hour and cant find it...

Also, I'm looking at replacements for the Intel Wifi card that's in this device. I've read online that some have replaced that same exact card with the one in the link below. How can I tell that it will work with my existing hardware? I know the bluetooth in it downgrades to 2.1 from 4.0 though :( I'm just trying to figure out my best option without having to have a ton of stuff attached to the side of this device, as it's supposed to be portable.

Eventually, Once i'm satisfied with the way it's working, I will install the system on the internal hard drive and completely get rid of Win8. So the less I have to attach to the side of the device, the better.

http://www.amazon.com/Atheros-AR5B195-Wireless-Bluetooth-Single-chip/dp/B009GAWMTM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2E63B4WQBHHQD&coliid=I2DX1MRHV8S6MQ?ie=UTF8&tag=tonymacx86com-20

ok... this is a complete Noob question... but how do I access the /Extra folder? I know it's hidden, but I've been searching for a way to "unhide" this folder for an hour and cant find it...

If you're talking about the /Extra on your HDD, it is not generally hidden.

Also, I'm looking at replacements for the Intel Wifi card that's in this device. I've read online that some have replaced that same exact card with the one in the link below. How can I tell that it will work with my existing hardware? I know the bluetooth in it downgrades to 2.1 from 4.0 though :( I'm just trying to figure out my best option without having to have a ton of stuff attached to the side of this device, as it's supposed to be portable.

Eventually, Once i'm satisfied with the way it's working, I will install the system on the internal hard drive and completely get rid of Win8. So the less I have to attach to the side of the device, the better.

http://www.amazon.com/Atheros-AR5B195-Wireless-Bluetooth-Single-chip/dp/B009GAWMTM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2E63B4WQBHHQD&coliid=I2DX1MRHV8S6MQ?ie=UTF8&tag=tonymacx86com-20

That has AR9285 (+AR3011 BT) which is compatible with only DSDT injection, so it is a reasonable choice. If you don't need BT an AR5B95 is a better choice (AR9280). The BT implementation in AR3011 is not very good.

If you're talking about the /Extra on your HDD, it is not generally hidden.

I opened up the finder window, and went to Go > Go to Folder...

Then I typed "/Extra" and it said that "The folder can't be found."

the only thing I see under my HDD "Mavericks" which is where my OS is installed:

Applications
Library
System
Users

When looking through Multibeast, the only place I see any mention of Sandy Bridge is under Customize > SSDT Options

The lowest option is for the Sandy Bridge Core i5. Mine is i3. Should I install the i5 instead? Mine also ends in a U, so should I use Chameleon wizard instead of Multibeast?

The only thing you install from Multibeast are those things listed in the post I linked. Read it carefully.

Ok! I just read one section wrong. I apologize for the oversight. I will also run the other program you mentioned earlier in this thread this evening. Still researching wifi adapters as well. Trying to find one that I can stop by and pick up on my way home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back