Contribute
Register

Dell XPS 18 - Is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, Unfortunately. I've never seen anything like what's inside this device... Id rather not attempt to replace the Intel Wifi Card that is inside. There's also no ethernet (CAT5) plugin. Only inputs here are two usb, power, and headphones.

I cant find where the kext files are located on this USB.... any insite?

I don't think installing the WiFi drivers for a USB device would have affected IOPlatformPlugInFamily. Might just have to be a mystery.

So the Intel WiFi is not just a half-mini PCie? From ioreg, it looks like it is 8086,887 on PCIe bus.

I do see that this machine is somewhat in a class by itself... sort of a "desktop tablet"...

I'm not sure what it is. When I get a chance tonight, I'll remove the back off of this device and take a picture of the inside. It's so close in together, the only thing inside I can immediately identify is the RAM. If you've never seen this device, it's an all in one. I like it because it's so portable, it's not very heavy, and it's got a huge screen (for a portable computer anyways). Eventually I'll purchase the dock (which is currently at $100... maybe the price will drop after a while). For now, I use the feet on the back to either stand it upright, or I can lay it down in a more flat position. I'm hoping one day, this device takes off in the hackintosh world and someone writes a driver for the touchscreen component... that would make this (in my opinion) the perfect hackintosh!

I'm not sure if the Dell website would tell you, but I purchased the lowest end part. The higher end of this device has i5/i7 processors.

Had to go to an earlier post to get which card I have... Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2230 + Bluetooth 4.0. That's all I know about it. The Intel website after doing a google search on it:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/centrino-wireless-n-2230.html

For the life of me, I cannot find the IOPlatformPlugInFamily.kext anywhere. Any ideas on a site that I can download it from?

Had to go to an earlier post to get which card I have... Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2230 + Bluetooth 4.0. That's all I know about it. The Intel website after doing a google search on it:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/centrino-wireless-n-2230.html

Not compatible, but probably a half mini PCIe.

For the life of me, I cannot find the IOPlatformPlugInFamily.kext anywhere. Any ideas on a site that I can download it from?

It is on your Unibeast USB. In /system/library/extensions. Keep in mind most files on the Unibeast USB are hidden, so use show all files to see them.

It is on your Unibeast USB. In /system/library/extensions. Keep in mind most files on the Unibeast USB are hidden, so use show all files to see them.

BTW, here's what I do just after creating my Unibeast USB:
Code:
# in Terminal, assuming name of Unibeast USB is Installer
cd /Volumes/Installer
sudo chflags -R nohidden ./System
sudo chflags -R nohidden ./Extra
sudo chflags nohidden mach_kernel

This is odd.... I installed the kext from the USB, and then go back in and check the contents and there is absolutely NOTHING inside that kext....

This is odd.... I installed the kext from the USB, and then go back in and check the contents and there is absolutely NOTHING inside that kext....

Are you sure they are not just hidden?
Code:
ls -la /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/X86PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources/

I wonder if they were just hidden before and this won't fix anything. The default, though, from a fresh install is that they are not hidden.

Are you sure they are not just hidden?
Code:
ls -la /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/X86PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources/

I wonder if they were just hidden before and this won't fix anything. The default, though, from a fresh install is that they are not hidden.

That's possible. However, The kext itself, before I right-clicked and show package contents, was greyed out. I even in the USB to navigate to it was greyed out.

That's possible. However, The kext itself, before I right-clicked and show package contents, was greyed out. I even in the USB to navigate to it was greyed out.

Grayed out == hidden (with Show All Files active).

Grayed out == hidden (with Show All Files active).

How do I unhide all of the files then, and make it to where it's not greyed out...? (Newb question I know...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back