Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell XPS 15 9570 4K
CPU
i7-8750H
Graphics
UHD 630 + GTX 1050 Ti
Hello,
I have an XPS 15 9570 with an i7 8750H, 16GB RAM, 4K screen and Kingston A1000 NVMe SSD. I have Mojave installed and have been able to fix a few things so far (iGPU acceleration, brightness control, sound, etc working), but i'm left with a few issues which I don't know how to fix:

- Sleep: When I put the laptop to sleep, it will either wake up but with a completely black screen (no backlight), or it will not wake up at all and crash.

- Brightness control: Brightness control works, however it feels like the range is limited: seems like brightness control under macOS ranges from 1% (minimum brightness - no backlight off) to around 50% max brightness. Don't know where or how I can fix this, however this isn't an immediate issue as this display is very bright anyways.

- Power consumption: I think that the CPU has correct power management (On idle, it stays often at 800MHz, and will jump up whenever there is relevant load) however it seems that power consumption on idle in macOS is higher than under Windows.

With the Intel Power Gadget installed on both macOS and Windows, I can see that on macOS the machine idles at 800MHz and PKG (Package Power)'s lowest value is around 1.5W, whereas on Windows, the machine idles at slightly higher frequencies yet has an overall Package Power minimum value of 0.5W. Whilst the difference between 1.5W and 0.5W may not seem like much, keep in mind that this is 3x more power consumption in idle under macOS! On macOS, besides the PKG values in Intel Power Gadget, there is Core and DRAM values - Core seems to hover as low as 0.3W but DRAM consistently stays around 0.9 or higher.

Some things to note that could potentially be a factor:

- Killer 1535 (Unsupported) WiFi card still installed in machine - waiting on replacement DW1560

Currently on SMBIOS MacbookPro 15,2. Tried 15,1 as well as I thought it would be a closer fit however there was no impact, positive or negative, so I went back to 15,2.

Attached my Clover folder and IOREG.

Thanks in advanced.

Last edited:
Hello,
I have an XPS 15 9570 with an i7 8750H, 16GB RAM, 4K screen and Kingston A1000 NVMe SSD. I have Mojave installed and have been able to fix a few things so far (iGPU acceleration, brightness control, sound, etc working), but i'm left with a few issues which I don't know how to fix:

- Sleep: When I put the laptop to sleep, it will either wake up but with a completely black screen (no backlight), or it will not wake up at all and crash.

- Brightness control: Brightness control works, however it feels like the range is limited: seems like brightness control under macOS ranges from 1% (minimum brightness - no backlight off) to around 50% max brightness. Don't know where or how I can fix this, however this isn't an immediate issue as this display is very bright anyways.

- Power consumption: I think that the CPU has correct power management (On idle, it stays often at 800MHz, and will jump up whenever there is relevant load) however it seems that power consumption on idle in macOS is higher than under Windows.

With the Intel Power Gadget installed on both macOS and Windows, I can see that on macOS the machine idles at 800MHz and PKG (Package Power)'s lowest value is around 1.5W, whereas on Windows, the machine idles at slightly higher frequencies yet has an overall Package Power minimum value of 0.5W. Whilst the difference between 1.5W and 0.5W may not seem like much, keep in mind that this is 3x more power consumption in idle under macOS! On macOS, besides the PKG values in Intel Power Gadget, there is Core and DRAM values - Core seems to hover as low as 0.3W but DRAM consistently stays around 0.9 or higher.

Some things to note that could potentially be a factor:

- Killer 1535 (Unsupported) WiFi card still installed in machine - waiting on replacement DW1560

Currently on SMBIOS MacbookPro 15,2. Tried 15,1 as well as I thought it would be a closer fit however there was no impact, positive or negative, so I went back to 15,2.

Attached my Clover folder and IOREG.

Thanks in advanced.
"Problem Reporting" files are incomplete.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the gen_debug.sh tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

Attachments

• debug_10523.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 94
You need to fix backlight control before even starting with sleep (because backlight control is related).

Thank you again.
I suppose you are saying I should look at configuring the PWMMax with SSDT-RMCF, as i'm using ig-platform-id 0x3E9B0000.

"In this case you will need to provide a custom LMAX, since the PWMMax determined based on device-id will not match your ig-platform-id." - From your previous link

Where can I find the correct LMAX value for Coffee Lake/i7 8750H?

Thank you again.
I suppose you are saying I should look at configuring the PWMMax with SSDT-RMCF, as i'm using ig-platform-id 0x3E9B0000.

"In this case you will need to provide a custom LMAX, since the PWMMax determined based on device-id will not match your ig-platform-id." - From your previous link

Where can I find the correct LMAX value for Coffee Lake/i7 8750H?

LMAX for CFL is fixed at 0xFFFF for (as far as we know) all ig-platform-id values within the kext.
Nothing to do with RMCF.LMAX as the defaults are already correct.

LMAX for CFL is fixed at 0xFFFF for (as far as we know) all ig-platform-id values within the kext.
Nothing to do with RMCF.LMAX as the defaults are already correct.

Thank you.
I had SSDT-PNLF in my Clover folder already but was missing your AppleBacklightFixup.kext to accompany it. Downloaded and installed the latest release from your BitBucket (replaced SSDT-PNLF in patched clover patched folder and put AppleBacklightFixup.kext in clover Others kext folder).

Unfortunately after restarting I get A KP on boot. Attached is a picture (zip because I don't know if uploading the pics directly would compress it)

Attachments

• 20181023_221323.jpg
    20181023_221323.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 230
  • 20181023_221353.jpg
    20181023_221353.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 203
  • Kernel panic.zip
    7.3 MB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.