Contribute
Register

Dell XPS 15 9550 - Does the thunderbolt-port work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte > need model # > See Rules!
CPU
Intel> Need model # > See Rules!
Graphics
AMD > Need model # > See Rules!
I'm thinking of buying a Dell XPS 15 9550 as a hackbook for live music performances. So I was wondering if the thunderbolt-/USB-C-port is going to work with a thunderbolt audio interface?

I'm thinking of buying a Dell XPS 15 9550 as a hackbook for live music performances. So I was wondering if the thunderbolt-/USB-C-port is going to work with a thunderbolt audio interface?

TB is a weak spot in hacks.

I don't know exactly your use case is but I use Fishman TriplePlay with ST3 and Kontakt through an Apogee Duet. Basically you need lots of memory for samples and a fast SSD to load them. It works quite nice actually, never missed a TB port so far.

I don't know exactly your use case is but I use Fishman TriplePlay with ST3 and Kontakt through an Apogee Duet. Basically you need lots of memory for samples and a fast SSD to load them. It works quite nice actually, never missed a TB port so far.

Nice. I’ll be using it with ableton live mostly, so all I need is the Thunderbolt port to work with my focusrite clarett 8pre x audio interface. So you aren’t having any problems with your 9560 model?

So you aren’t having any problems with your 9560 model?
No but I'm switching to the ENVY as it weighs only 1,2kg and it has a super fast NVMe so it loads the samples even faster. It's a terrific tiny music machine with great display and very good performance. It also plays very well with my Apogee Duet.

TB is a weak spot in hacks.

I've been fantasizing about this for a good while now!!! Serious/expandable graphics power - via external/quick snap-in utilization, meets great battery life, quickly out the door for all day TCB, becoming realistically affordable from widespread OEM adaptationo_O:rolleyes::headbang::geek::crazy::beachball::lol::thumbup:.

If you were out to by a laptop with those capabilities ( 1 without a discrete GPU) under $1,000 for just the laptop. Is there one that stands out having the strongest Thunderbolt/eGPU potential as a good Hackintosh candidate?

Last edited:

I've been fantasizing about this for a good while now!!! Serious/expandable graphics power - via external/quick snap-in utilization, meets great battery life, quickly out the door for all day TCB, becoming realistically affordable from widespread OEM adaptationo_O:rolleyes::headbang::geek::crazy::beachball::lol::thumbup:.

If you were out to by a laptop with those capabilities ( 1 without a discrete GPU) under $1,000 for just the laptop. Is there one that stands out having the strongest Thunderbolt/eGPU potential as a good Hackintosh candidate?

For now, if you want good eGPU compatibility via TB3, purchase a product from Apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back