Contribute
Register

Dell XPS 15 9500 Opencore Catalina Installer - Trackpad works fine but then stops & barely moves/lags & unable to boot without being in RAID

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell XPS 15 9500 - 1.3.1 - Opencore
CPU
i7 10750H
Graphics
UHD 630
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all! I'm currently working on my first Hackintosh in five years, and this is my first time using OpenCore & hackintoshing a laptop.

After hours of headaches and troubleshooting, I finally managed to get the USB installer to boot up to the install menu with full keyboard and trackpad support.

The problem is that the trackpad works fine for the first 30 or so seconds of operation in the installer, but then it begins to lag, and then finally freezes with only occasional movements if I keep on moving my finger on the trackpad.

Extra info in case it's helpful: I manually compiled a SSDT-GPIO (Is the O vs 0 character sensitive? I've seen both used online) using the instructions provided in the Dortania Opencore Install, but whenever I try to use it by editing my config.plist, the USB installer boots up okay, the keyboard works, but the trackpad is unresponsive.

My Kext folder, AHCI folder, and config.plist are attached below. Any help would be much appreciated!

EDIT: Just realized that the -igfxvesa boot flag is still in my boot arguments. Could this be a iGPU graphical acceleration issue? My system runs on a Comet Lake UHD630, and I couldn’t get my system to boot without it earlier. I think I’ll try getting rid of the boot flag when I start working on this again in the morning.

(Solved) Also while I'm here, I feel like I should mention that I can't get the Catalina Installer to boot if my SATA Mode is set to anything other than Intel's RAID. When I change it to AHCI, I get a kernel panic (image attached as well) and can not proceed any further. If anyone knows what could be going on here and could help, it would also be much appreciated!

EDIT 2: Booting into MacOS while in AHCI along with iGPU acceleration has been solved. Trackpad issues still persist. See comments for more details.

Attachments

• ACPI Files.png
    ACPI Files.png
    121.8 KB · Views: 154
  • config.plist
    26.4 KB · Views: 109
  • Kext Files.png
    Kext Files.png
    163.5 KB · Views: 174
  • When SATA Mode is changed from RAID to AHCI.png
    When SATA Mode is changed from RAID to AHCI.png
    18.7 MB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Unfortunately I've never attempted a hackintosh so I can't help, but I was thinking of getting an XPS 15 9500 myself. Would greatly appreciate any updates if and when you have any.
Best of luck

Yes -igfxvesa would most definitely disable any graphics acceleration. It forces the OS to use VESA mode (compatibility mode). The trackpad lagging after a few minutes is a known problem with the voodoo kext - https://github.com/VoodooI2C/VoodooI2C/issues/319

The filename of the SSDT (GPIO or GPI0) does not matter so long as your config.plist points to the right file (which it automatically does if you do a CMD/CTRL-R). FWIW it's GPIO (general purpose input output). Not sure about SATA/RAID mode though.

If you share your EFI (remove or change your fake serial number if you wish), I can take it for a spin on my XPS 15 9500 and see if I have any luck with GPU accel and SATA. I haven't had the time to do an EFI with this new laptop, yet.

Unfortunately I've never attempted a hackintosh so I can't help, but I was thinking of getting an XPS 15 9500 myself. Would greatly appreciate any updates if and when you have any.
Best of luck

Hi Francesco! I managed to fix the inability to boot without -igfxvesa & was able to put my laptop in AHCI mode without any kernel panics! I posted my findings on Github here: https://github.com/robotblox/XPS-15-9500-Catalina-10.15.6

Have a look if you'd like to!

Yes -igfxvesa would most definitely disable any graphics acceleration. It forces the OS to use VESA mode (compatibility mode). The trackpad lagging after a few minutes is a known problem with the voodoo kext - https://github.com/VoodooI2C/VoodooI2C/issues/319

The filename of the SSDT (GPIO or GPI0) does not matter so long as your config.plist points to the right file (which it automatically does if you do a CMD/CTRL-R). FWIW it's GPIO (general purpose input output). Not sure about SATA/RAID mode though.

If you share your EFI (remove or change your fake serial number if you wish), I can take it for a spin on my XPS 15 9500 and see if I have any luck with GPU accel and SATA. I haven't had the time to do an EFI with this new laptop, yet.

Hi zachs! I managed to get my Hackintosh up and running with GPU acceleration! My trackpad works perfectly at first but anywhere between 30 seconds - 5 min after boot it still freezes up and becomes completely unusable. I can live with rebooting every once in a while until I find a solution for it, but the highest priority issue I'm facing right now is getting my USB ports to work.

You can take a look at my EFI on Github here: https://github.com/robotblox/XPS-15-9500-Catalina-10.15.6

If you have any recommendations or discover anything, I'm all ears!

Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back