Contribute
Register

Dell Vostro 3480 - i5-8265u - UHD 620

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @pastrychef !
Did you succeeded your EFI update to Lilu 1.5 and other December kexts ?

Say that because I got an issue with my dell Inspiron (updated from Lilu 1.4.9) :

XPS laptops on the forum seems not having update issue, wonder where mine come from

Yup. No problems with Lilu 1.5.0 here. I've just been lazy about updating the EFI in post #1...

Screen Shot 2020-12-20 at 5.31.01 AM.png

Ok thanks for your feedback,
that confirm there is something wrong with my config ...

Given the release of the M1 Macbook Air at $900-ish price point, would you buy this machine (or a similar machine) again in today's climate?

Given the release of the M1 Macbook Air at $900-ish price point, would you buy this machine (or a similar machine) again in today's climate?

Keep in mind that I have pretty basic needs for my laptops. It mostly serves as a computer I can use when I don't want to walk over to my desk. It spends most of its time surfing the internet and/or watching videos.

That being said, if I can find another one for about the same price that I paid (~$300), definitely yes. At that price, it's a really good laptop with good expandability. Being able to go to 32GB RAM and having two SSDs (one M.2, one SATA) is really nice. Plus, I've ironed out all the "hackintosh" issues to the point where everything is working just as it would on a real Mac and I wouldn't be able to tell that it wasn't built to run macOS from the get go.

Having come from a Broadwell based hackbook and an even older MacBook before that, this Whiskey Lake laptop was a huge step forward and I have been extremely happy with its performance. I have been so happy with it, I don't see myself replacing it until after Apple ends macOS updates for MacBookPro16,3.

OpenCore EFI updated to version 0.7.4 for Monterey compatibility.

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 3383, hackintoshed under Big Sur 11.3

Do you think that using your commands to Disable CFG Lock and Set DVMT Pre-Alloc :
> setup_var 0x5C4 0x0
> setup_var 0x8E7 0x2
> setup_var 0x8E8 0x3
> exit

Can they work on this Inspiron model? My BIOS version is the last one: 1.17.0

Specs :
-Intel Core i3-8145U
-16 GB (initially 8 GB, upgraded with 8 additional GB)
-Intel UHD 620 Whiskey Lake
-WD Green 240Gb (macOS 11.3)

More info: https://www.materiel.net/produit/201903220071.html

Last edited:

Do you think that using your commands to Disable CFG Lock and Set DVMT Pre-Alloc :
> setup_var 0x5C4 0x0
> setup_var 0x8E7 0x2
> setup_var 0x8E8 0x3
> exit

Can they work on this Inspiron model? My ud BIOS version is the last one: 1.17.0

Specs :
-Intel Core i3-8145U

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
probably not if it is a different laptop

Maybe, Where I can find the values for my computer ?

> setup_var 0x5C4 0x0
> setup_var 0x8E7 0x2
> setup_var 0x8E8 0x3
> exit

Can they work on this Inspiron model? My BIOS version is the last one: 1.17.0

Specs :
-Intel Core i3-8145U

There's almost zero chance that those variables will work on a different laptop.

I have instructions on how to find yours here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back