Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus z270-i
CPU
4,2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
Graphics
sapphire vega 56
Dear mod bros, my problem is about the housing design of monitors. As a designer who spends half of the day in front of the computer, I am lacking the emotional connection of my monitor. I want to see my monitor as a wonderful tool and a wonderful furniture.

I wanted to buy an apple thunderbolt display but it is impossible to connect to a device other than MacBook Pro and the panel installed inside is outdated and not eye friendly if you compare it to my Dell u2715h monitor. And the weird thing about monitors, there is no product that looks better than thunderbolt display or cinema display.

So I want to buy a broken thunderbolt display and install u2715h components inside it. I wish I could install my panel inside cinema display but there is no 27" Cinema displays. I will try to do it and post photos here but I wanted to be sure if anybody tried it before?

So these are the panel specifications. I don't have the specifications for the boards. Luckily the active area is the same which means the front glass will fit perfectly. I got the size information from pane look.com

Dell u2715h
LM270WQ4-SSA1
Outline
608.8(W)×355.3(H) ×13.8(D) mm
Active area 596.736(W)×335.664(H) mm

Apple Thunderbolt Display
LM270WQ1-SDB3
Outline
630(W)×376.13(H) ×21.9(D) mm
Active area 596.736(W)×335.664(H) mm

Last edited:
Looking at your measurements there, I don't see any reason it wouldn't fit in there. Better too small than too big! The tricky thing would be figuring out how to mount it in there.

Hmm. Makes me curious if I could put a replacement panel in my 24" Cinema Display. I've got two dead units at this point, but I can't bring myself to pitch them.

24" Cinema Display has to be the same. I think. You can replace it.

My story with 27" Thunderbolt Display ended up with buying a brand new one. Yes I bought a 27" Thunderbolt Display in 2018. I did this because one week ago I bought 27" Lg UltraFine 5k display and returned it. I returned it because the 5k was too much for my laptop and there was no option to plug it in my e-gpu although I knew that I couldn't connect it. That display had beautiful colors and impossible to see pixels. But the problem is that when I put both u2715h monitor and LG UltraFine from a healthy working distance which has to be more than 1 meters, there was so minor difference. Also the enclosure was not looking timeless like thunderbolt display. As a professional, I would say that people have to wait two years to buy 5k. Because the computer takes too much power to render ui elements. And this makes a huge difference with speed. So you have to choose between a super fast 2k or a slow 5k. Well, Dell u2715h has the best affordable professional display ever. And even if you upgrade to 5k it is still 60 hz which is kind of boring I think.

So back to Thunderbolt display. Thunderbolt display has a beautiful sound quality. I was surprised to hear the sound quality. I looked up to ifixit teardown. There is a small woofer inside the screen, and the screen has a thick enclosure which means it probably has the best sound quality for a build in speaker system. For the first time in my life, I am listening to music from a computer. I always had amplifiers and music system in my house. The display is not as good as u2718h but it is ok.

So I will wait to get bored and replace the display in the future. The big question is how to keep the 2+1 sound system. I am planning to put a small size amplifier inside to power the speakers. Probably a small size Fiio amplifier. The good part is 27" has become a world standard so This enclosure will be usable in the future. I might upgrade it with a 5k display when there is a good 5k display with a good price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back