i7 9700k
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys and gals. I recently picked up a Dell U2713HM for my hackintosh (Sabertooth Z77, 3770k). The display is gorgeous, however the USB 3 hub that is built into the monitor isn't working quite as well as i hoped. Using a USB 3 drive I tested all 6 USB 3 ports on my motherboard, and the drive shows up in ML right away with no problems. However, plugging the monitor's USB 3 cable into a working port, then plugging the drive into the monitor, nothing works. Stranger still is the fact that when I plug a USB 2 thumbdrive into the monitor, the thumbdrive shows up in ML!

So, to sum up:

Mobo + USB3 drive = Working!
Mobo + USB2 drive = Working!
Mobo + Monitor + USB2 drive = Working!
Mobo + Monitor + USB3 drive = Not Working!

Is there something really obvious that I'm missing here?

does the USB3 drive require more power than the USB2 thumb drive?

it might be the case that the Dell hub can only provide enough power for thumb drive. As well, the power is shared across the Dell hub. You could try disconnecting other devices from the Dell. You could also try a splitter-type USB cable, one that adds a second USB connector that supplies power only. some of my USB-powered external drives require them.

The USB 3 drive I was trying to use is bus powered, so that's a possibility. I would have thought that the monitor would fully power the usb3 ports, but I could be wrong. I'll have to look into this tonight when I get home. I think the only usb3 devices I have are bus-powered 500gb hard drives, so I might need to pick up a small usb3 thumbdrive to see if that is the problem.

i have had 2 bad experiences with dell monitor USB hubs in the past (insufficient power, and wake-from-sleep related problems), and don't really trust them much. It was often fixed by rebooting the monitor (thus hub) by full power off and discharge, but I got tired of that, so anything used to wake the system (mice, keyboards), and anything where I needed reliability (HDD) would go elsewhere. they may have improved since my 1905 and 2408. my HP ZR30W monitor hub has been flawless.

It isn't just you - I have the same issue with my U2713HM hub, except that USB3.0 drives mount, then disconnect after about 30s. It's odd because the hub is supposed to be powered. I've not had any issues with my previous Dell monitor hubs (2408, 1908), but those were USB2.0 of course.

I have the same issue on my U2713HM's USB3 hub. I thought this might be caused by my board's NEC USB3 chipset (it was made before Intel included them) and the lack of power provided.

USB2 devices work on the monitor's hub, but USB3 devices don't. Plugging USB3 devices directly into the motherboard work fine.

Has anyone tried using a Y splitter cable to supply more power? I was thinking about using something like this: http://www.amazon.com/USB-3-0-Male-Cable-Female/dp/B007VUF1HY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1364083439&sr=8-3&keywords=usb+3+y+cable+female

I have this problem too on a Macbook Air. My friend tested on a Mac Mini (both running OS X 10.8.3) and had the same issue.

Here is what we tested:

Western Digital My Passport (USB3) plugged into the Dell U2713HM left side USB port. The monitor was plugged into the MBA/MM. The hard disk would spin up, but OS X would not report the disk in either Disk Utilities or System Information.

When my friend plugged the Dell into his PC, the PC was able to detect the HDD just fine.

He also tested with a USB 3 stick and had the same issue. Seems like there is an issue with OS X?

Yep, same problem here on 10.13.3 five years later!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back