Contribute
Register

Dell stops shipping 11th gen Intel Alienware PC to parts of US due to new power regulations

Motherboard
Gigabyte B550 Vision D
CPU
Ryzen 5900X
Graphics
RX 6800
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Air
  4. MacBook Pro
  5. Mac mini
  6. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
If you live in the US in either California, Colorado, Hawaii, Oregon, Vermont or Washington today, chances are you cannot buy Dell's latest Alienware gaming PC because of new power consumption regulations there (which it does not meet), as their online store explicitly mentions it will not ship to those states.

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Motherboard
Asrock Z490m pro-4
CPU
i9-10850K
Graphics
Vega 64 (flashed Vega 56)
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
If you live in the US in either California, Colorado, Hawaii, Oregon, Vermont or Washington today, chances are you cannot buy Dell's latest Alienware gaming PC because of new power consumption regulations there (which it does not meet), as their online store explicitly mentions it will not ship to those states.
according to the Gamers Nexus review of that system, they might be doing you a favor by making it illegal. Apparently it's a heaping pile of crap.

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Vega 56 (Bios flashed to 64)
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Maybe this will force AMD and Nvidia to bring back some efficiency. Video cards have just gotten increasingly power hungry with each passing generation. We went from video cards that occupied a single PCI slot to two because of the need for more cooling to dissipate all the heat from those power hungry GPUs to triple slot cards now. From slot powered to 6-pin to 8-pin to triple 8-pin. It has gotten out of hand.

Motherboard
Asrock Z490m pro-4
CPU
i9-10850K
Graphics
Vega 64 (flashed Vega 56)
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Jayztwocents on YouTube just did a video parsing this whole thing out and it really isn't as draconian and it might seem at first. It's worth taking a look.

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
If you live in the US in either California, Colorado, Hawaii, Oregon, Vermont or Washington today, chances are you cannot buy Dell's latest Alienware gaming PC
What gamers who actually want these will do is have them shipped to nearby states like AZ, NV, Utah etc. and then they can easily get them into their state. It's not going to have much effect keeping them out of California where the power grid isn't at all adequate for the demand, especially in Summer when air conditioning is used everywhere.

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Video cards have just gotten increasingly power hungry with each passing generation. We went from video cards that occupied a single PCI slot to two because of the need for more cooling to dissipate all the heat from those power hungry GPUs to triple slot cards now. From slot powered to 6-pin to 8-pin to triple 8-pin. It has gotten out of hand.
Have a look at the power draws from these new Nvidia Desktop GPUs. Gotten beyond way out of hand. Are they going to start making 2000W PSUs for these systems ?

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Vega 56 (Bios flashed to 64)
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Have a look at the power draws from these new Nvidia Desktop GPUs. Gotten beyond way out of hand. Are they going to start making 2000W PSUs for these systems ?

That's just crazy.