Contribute
Register

Dell Precision M3800 2015 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay after a few days of messing around.. with some help from a few folks like AustinSMU, Rehabman's great posts and DarkVoid.. I've managed to setup my Dell M3800.

OSX -> 10.10.2 Yosemite

I want to let people who got the newer Dell M3800 (early 2015) with 4k display that I have faced a few issues and how I solved them.

If you are going to set up your Dell M3800 you should look into the procedure and files AustinSMU has here:

https://github.com/AustinSMU/PRECISION-M3800-OSX

It is in fact a very similar guide to DarkVoid's Dell XPS 15 one located here: https://github.com/the-darkvoid/XPS9530-OSX

but Austin's has a few modifications to make it work with Dell M3800..

There are a few things to keep in mind.

Both guides rely on platform-id 0x0a260006 .. for this guide I simply couldn't make my Dell M3800 boot into hardware accelerated desktop as I've gotten frozen lines on the boot. To solve this you need to do 2 things:

A) Use the platform-id 0xa2e0008 in your Clover configuration
B) Generate your framebuffer patch with the ruby script (attached to this post). This patch is for Yosemite 10.10.2 and I use DVMT Pre-Allocated Memory 128mb (you also have to set this in your unlocked BIOS) and with 48mb/48mb (Framebuffer Memory/Cursor Memory)

Once you generate the framebuffer patch you want to replace the 96mb one in the clover.plist with the data you've gotten from this new patch.

Once you do that everything will work great.. the hardware acceleration will kick in, the wifi/bluetooth, brightness, battery, power management, audio and (displayPort/Thunderbolt) will work as well.

Overall it will be great with some minor exceptions..

The only problem that's left to be resolved is running the full 4k resolution on the Dell M3800 newer display. If you boot into dekstop with the settings I posted platform-id and new framebuffer patch you will see the long screen fine but if you login and your desktop is set to maximum resolution (3840x2160 @60hz) the display will go dark.

This is because for some reason the pixel unlock script on IOKit is unlocking QHD+ but it won't go more than that.. so running 1920x1080 @ 60hz (at hDPI) or 3840x2160 @60hz) will result in blank screen. If you hit brightness up on your keyboard you will see the display show up the desktop for a 1 or 2. You can navigate to display properties and set the Scaled 1680x945 (hDpi) resolution that will result in the picture showing up and running fine at 60hz..

This is the equivalent of 3360x1890 resolution which seems to be the maximum running at 60hz. My guess is something else needs to be unlocked but that's something DarkVoid or Rehabman might have more knowledge looking into.

So for now, you can run "retina/hDpi" 1680x945 (3360x1890) until this issue is figured out. Btw, if you run SwitchResX you could probably make a custom resolution that's 3840x2160 and run it at 30hz but the image quality suffers significantly due to very low refresh rate.

Well that's basically it.. just wanted to share so people looking to setup their Dell M3800 know what I've went through.

Attachments

• yosemite_10_10_2_framebuffer_patch.rb.zip
    759 bytes · Views: 234
Okay.. I managed to run at UHD resolution without any problems..

Just use SwitchResX and you can define custom resolutions. The key is to have the refresh rate slightly lower than 60hz.. I'm running 1920x1080 hdpi at 58hz which is still fine.

/cheers !

Works perfectly.

Could you please post your config.plist? I've done everything as outlined by AustinSMU and your excellent guide, however everything works as it should - except for QE/CI.

I've gone through everything twice - I would really appreciate your help.

I'm trying this on 10.10.3 btw.

FIXED!

I got QE/CI working in the end on my M3800 after 7 or 8 install attempts.

Maybe the AustinSMU steps need updating? I installed 10.10.3 by following the instructions to the letter and am pretty sure I didn't make mistakes, but everything worked apart from QE/CI.

By including FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_HD4600_HD4400.kext in Clover and installing Yosemite 10.10.2 I got the acceleration working. It didn't work on 10.10.3, I tried all the steps in the thread RehabMan just posted.

Will try and publish what I discovered.

Success :clap:

Note: the second Apple boot screen is garbled, even with the Clover config.plist fixes present. Need to find a solution...

Hi. Does anyone have a 4K monitor?
I need someone to try if you can have the M3800 at 4K (even if it's at 58Hz) but hook up another monitor either via the mDP or HDMI and try to extend the display there.

Doe both displays work at 4K (extended) with no issues (is the external monitor capped at 30Hz)?

Thanks.

Great job!

I've followed AustinSMU's installation guide on github and everything seems perfect except:

1) Can't sleep normally, when I cover the screen and open it again, the screen turns black and shows nothing. No matter what operation I did, the screen shows nothing, but the system still runs(for music goes on)

2) HDMI audio init fail.

3) Headphone sounds nothing after reboot.

Great job!

I've followed AustinSMU's installation guide on github and everything seems perfect except:

1) Can't sleep normally, when I cover the screen and open it again, the screen turns black and shows nothing. No matter what operation I did, the screen shows nothing, but the system still runs(for music goes on)

2) HDMI audio init fail.

3) Headphone sounds nothing after reboot.

Please provide complete details in your profile/signature
(Profile/Settings link in upper right corner of this site)

System: manufacturer/model + bootloader(Clover/Chameleon/Chimera)
CPU: detailed CPU model + motherboard chipset
Graphics: all graphics devices + laptop internal screen resolution

For example, typical Ivy laptop:
System: HP ProBook 4540s (Clover)
CPU: i5-3320m/HM76
Graphics: HD4000, 1366x768

Use CPU-Z on Windows to find CPU (Core iX-xxx) and motherboard chipset (HMxx), and graphics capabilities. For a laptop, these details are important and affect critical installation procedures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back