Graphics
5700XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I'm starting this thread because I'm waiting for the fully loaded Dell Precision M3800 to arrive soon and will probably test out some compatibility and installing OSX on it.

I have the Ubuntu version.

The laptop specs are:

i7-4712HQ (Quad Core 2.30GHz, 3.3GHz
16GB (2x8GB) 1600MHz DDR3
Nvidia® Quadro® K1100M, w/ 2GB GDDR5
15.6" UltraSharp™ IGZO UHD Touch (3840x2160) 4K2K Wide View LED-backlit
M.2 512gb drive
1TB 2.5 SATA
Dell Wireless 1560 2X2 802.11ac + Bluetooth 4.0

I will be posting updates here as I get it and if it goes well, will write a guide for it.

Any takes or experiences welcome.

I'm starting this thread because I'm waiting for the fully loaded Dell Precision M3800 to arrive soon and will probably test out some compatibility and installing OSX on it.

I have the Ubuntu version.

The laptop specs are:

i7-4712HQ (Quad Core 2.30GHz, 3.3GHz
16GB (2x8GB) 1600MHz DDR3
Nvidia® Quadro® K1100M, w/ 2GB GDDR5
15.6" UltraSharp™ IGZO UHD Touch (3840x2160) 4K2K Wide View LED-backlit
M.2 512gb drive
1TB 2.5 SATA
Dell Wireless 1560 2X2 802.11ac + Bluetooth 4.0

I will be posting updates here as I get it and if it goes well, will write a guide for it.

Any takes or experiences welcome.

You'll want to take clues from this guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-laptop-guides/144351-guide-dell-xps-9530-using-clover-uefi.html

Great suggestion.. I think that the biggest thing will be with the locked BIOS.. other than that everything else should work fine with a little bit of kext adjustments.

I picked this laptop because most Linux compatible hardware usually uses hardware that's friendly with OSX.

The wifi card Dell is using in the new M3800 is Broadcom not Intel and Nvidia Quadro is not using Optimus so the Nvidia Quadro drivers should work fine.

and Nvidia Quadro is not using Optimus so the Nvidia Quadro drivers should work fine.

In that case, never mind. The UHD screen with nvidia will be a completely different task than with Intel HD.

In that case, never mind. The UHD screen with nvidia will be a completely different task than with Intel HD.

Okay.. so I was wrong.. the initial setup for Nvidia Quadro and Intel HD 4600 is in fact switchable (optimus)..

However, I've unlocked the BIOS fully to be able to access all advanced chipset options. I flashed the patched BIOS and in addition to opening a lot of options I can now unlock the BIOS (MSR).

I have a ton of options for Graphics .. and I think it is possible to make the Nvidia Quadro the only graphics card working but I need some help with understanding BIOS options.

I'll post some screenshots but I would like to see if you can help out RehabMan?

Btw, this Dell is absolutely GORGEOUS. The 4k screen is unreal and runs awesomely.

Okay.. so I was wrong.. the initial setup for Nvidia Quadro and Intel HD 4600 is in fact switchable (optimus)..

However, I've unlocked the BIOS fully to be able to access all advanced chipset options. I flashed the patched BIOS and in addition to opening a lot of options I can now unlock the BIOS (MSR).

I have a ton of options for Graphics .. and I think it is possible to make the Nvidia Quadro the only graphics card working but I need some help with understanding BIOS options.

I'll post some screenshots but I would like to see if you can help out RehabMan?

Btw, this Dell is absolutely GORGEOUS. The 4k screen is unreal and runs awesomely.

I don't really know much about it (I tend not to purchase that kind of hardware... Intel graphics is plenty for me and improving all the time), but if you want to post photos I'll look at them, not to mention anyone else that might be interested.

Yeah.. I mean I know some stuff about the Intel and Optimus and what it can/can't do.. but I have some options in BIOS and would like to post them up and we can discuss it.

My fear is to experiment with it cause I can disable the Integrated Graphics completely and direct everything to the PCI-E GPU but I'm afraid that I won't be able to see anything when I save BIOS and reboot..

So before I do it I'd like to consult with you and anyone else. There are quite a few options and I can turn off basically anything.

My fear is to experiment with it cause I can disable the Integrated Graphics completely and direct everything to the PCI-E GPU but I'm afraid that I won't be able to see anything when I save BIOS and reboot..

That is the danger of using a hacked/unlocked BIOS. You may select something which doesn't make sense for the way the hardware is put together and you could brick it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back