Contribute
Register

Dell Precision 7710 i7-7920HQ HD630; need help with DSDT/sleep, trackpad, last USB3 port

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASRock X299 TaiChi XE
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
RX 580
Dear everyone,

I'm currently succesfully running a brand new Dell 7710 with Kaby Lake 7920HQ, HD630 only. Using @RehabMan his repository for laptops it was quite the breeze, and a lot is working well (even TB3) except for the trackpad and I'm having trouble with the DSDT. I still need to replace the WiFi-chip, as this one is not supported. I will add NVME-drives later when this build is succesful. Sound isn't working as of yet, but I haven't put time in it either.

For the ALPS trackpad (not sure what version, how to find out?) I've tried numerous VoodooPS2Controller.kext, the latest, old ones from Rehabman, different forks and versions from guides with modern laptops. The best result I get is a working keyboard, most of the time, but the trackpad is never recognized. I believe this may be a newer version not yet included in any kexts, or I'm just missing something important.

The DSDT is returning errors I'm having a hard time interpreting, after patching with Rehabman's laptop patches and refs.txt.
Errors: https://imgur.com/a/FwHXT

All USB3 ports except for one are working without any USBInjectAll.kext, but with the kext none of the ports get recognized, I have not yet come to making a specific patch, but it seems to me all USB ports should work with the kext, and the patch is to reduce possible (future) errors? I'm not sure whether this is Clover ACPI patch related, or whether again I'm missing something important.

I've attached my EFI folder, an IOReg dump, and unmodified DSDT/SSDT Clover dump, and the so-far patched DSDT.

I'm hoping there are some bright people here who can help me on the way of getting this beauty of a machine running to it's full potential :)

Attachments

• DSDT SSDT-unpatched.zip
    66.4 KB · Views: 152
  • DSDT-patched.zip
    80.2 KB · Views: 147
  • EFI.zip
    3.9 MB · Views: 211
  • IOReg.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 147
The DSDT is returning errors I'm having a hard time interpreting, after patching with Rehabman's laptop patches and refs.txt.
Errors: https://imgur.com/a/FwHXT

Read guide (the errors you have are addressed directly):
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.232984/

All USB3 ports except for one are working without any USBInjectAll.kext, but with the kext none of the ports get recognized, I have not yet come to making a specific patch, but it seems to me all USB ports should work with the kext, and the patch is to reduce possible (future) errors? I'm not sure whether this is Clover ACPI patch related, or whether again I'm missing something important.

See guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-creating-a-custom-ssdt-for-usbinjectall-kext.211311/

Regarding the DSDT you're absolutely right I overlooked the basic patch you described, my bad. USBInject is working fine now after applying XHC ACPI patches, which I had ommitted somehow.

I figured the problem with the ALPS touchpad as well, it was IntelBacklight.kext. Now a happy touchpad / ballpoint user ;)

I pmset hibernatemode=0, but I can't get sleep to work yet, with patched the DSDT. Patches used are from Rehabman's github. System powers back on but screen remains black. I tried numerous darkwake options. Where would I need to look for a proper sleep configuration? I looked at many other recent Dell laptops, but haven't found an answer.

Brightness control isn't working yet, and using Fn+F8 or higher freezes the system. I am running AppleACPIBacklight.kext, but I think I may need a proper SSDT to guide it?

I have included an updated version of my EFI and IOREG, and the unpatched SSDT dump separately.

Thanks so much for all the help..!

Attachments

• DSDT.zip
    41 KB · Views: 111
  • IOREG 7710.zip
    2 MB · Views: 99
  • EFI.zip
    17.9 MB · Views: 132
  • SSDT-origin.zip
    66.4 KB · Views: 97
I figured the problem with the ALPS touchpad as well, it was IntelBacklight.kext. Now a happy touchpad / ballpoint user ;)

IntelBacklight.kext has nothing to do with your touchpad.
IntelBacklight.kext, however, does not work with 10.12.4+.
Read here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...rol-using-applebacklightinjector-kext.232976/

I pmset hibernatemode=0, but I can't get sleep to work yet, with patched the DSDT. Patches used are from Rehabman's github. System powers back on but screen remains black. I tried numerous darkwake options. Where would I need to look for a proper sleep configuration? I looked at many other recent Dell laptops, but haven't found an answer.

"Problem Reporting" files are incomplete/wrong.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Oddly enough it seemed very clear that after removing IntelBacklight.kext this happened, but I'm sure I'll be wrong on this one. I had tried so many variants of VoodooPS2Controller.kext, including the latest one which I'm simply using now.

Is this the correct EFI zip?

IOReg is correct like this, used your IORegistryExplorer.app?

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 129
  • IOREG 7710.zip
    2 MB · Views: 97
Oddly enough it seemed very clear that after removing IntelBacklight.kext this happened, but I'm sure I'll be wrong on this one. I had tried so many variants of VoodooPS2Controller.kext, including the latest one which I'm simply using now.

Is this the correct EFI zip?

IOReg is correct like this, used your IORegistryExplorer.app?

The ioreg is corrupt (wrong version of IORegistryExplorer used).
Your profile is not filled out as requested in the FAQ.

Note:
- you did not patch _PRW for instant wake, so maybe that is your issue with sleep?

I think something may be messing up while patching for _WAK Arg0 v2. Everytime I apply and reselect the patch, it's available for patching again; this seems to happen to some patches.

I've been searching for the _PRW patch you are referring to, but I can't seem to find it in your repository. What is the patch its specific name? If you mean USB_PWR 0x0D Skylake and/or USB_PWR 0x6D then I'm not sure which one to pick. How to choose?I searched my DSDT for _PWR (0) and PWR (47), but none of them seem to be the scope(?) that gives me the information to choose either. I would try either if they would apply.

I redid the DSDT patching to check each patch as it doesn't or does apply:
Succes (changes made):
IRQ Fix
OS Check w8
Mutex

No succes (no changes made after applying):
Wak v2
HPET
SMBUS
RTC
USB _PRW 0x6D SKL

Using MaciASL RM-1.31 (252.3)

I think I now have the right IOReg version.

For brightness control, do you recommend patching with igpu_Brightness fix (Haswell/Broadwell) or one of these, and to go with ACPIBacklight.kext? If I select the patches it doesn't seem to find a match ("Before" is empty), but offers to patch.

edit for clarity

Attachments

• IOREG 7710.zip
    491.4 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
I think something may be messing up while patching for _WAK Arg0 v2. Everytime I apply and reselect the patch, it's available for patching again; this seems to happen to some patches.

That is normal. But why are you using that patch?
The bug this patch deals with has been fixed al long time ago...
Note comments in the patch:
Code:
# Note regarding Yosemite:
#  At least in Yosemite 10.10.2, this bug appears to be fixed.
#  I didn't notice/verify on other versions of Yosemite
#

Since you are posting in the Sierra forum, I assume you are not running Yosemite 10.10.1 or earlier.

I've been searching for the _PRW patch you are referring to, but I can't seem to find it in your repository.

USB3 _PRW (there is one for 0x0d and 0x6d).
And there is Skylake (for Kaby Lake too) or pre-Skylake versions.

For brightness control, do you recommend patching with igpu_Brightness fix (Haswell/Broadwell) or one of these, and to go with ACPIBacklight.kext? If I select the patches it doesn't seem to find a match ("Before" is empty), but offers to patch.

edit for clarity

Read here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...rol-using-applebacklightinjector-kext.232976/

Work on one thing at a time.

I just fixed the backlight thanks to that guide, thank you. The Fn-buttons as on the keyboard aren't working, Fn+F8+ crashes the system, but Fn+B does brightness UP I found out; nothing on lowering brightness yet. It isn't a drama, but not crashing would of course be nice. As it seems though, my trackpad stopped working again, and I know I'm being stubborn, but I tried removing AppleBacklightInjector.kext for this, but I can't seem to unload it, as brightness settings are continuously available. If they are seriously unrelated, then I have no idea how this happens, as I have changed no file except for this. I'm not sure what interaction happened here.

I used the patch because it is in your guide's list of common patches that probably don't harm. The description said 10.8.5+, but then again that is a pretty old version..!

I would like to fix sleep. You are right, I should go step by step.

I followed https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.152573/ to install iasl (b9c6c2b) and am running MaciASL RM-1.31 (252.3), is this correct? After redoing this procedure I patched PM6H, and also removed some entries "Name already exists in scope" (BNUM, IDMN, IDPC, DLPN). After applying either USB PWR fix I still can't sleep, it seems, but maybe I messed it?

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.9 MB · Views: 105
I just fixed the backlight thanks to that guide, thank you. The Fn-buttons as on the keyboard aren't working, Fn+F8+ crashes the system, but Fn+B does brightness UP I found out; nothing on lowering brightness yet. It isn't a drama, but not crashing would of course be nice.

Brightness keys are covered in the main brightness guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-dsdt-ssdt-for-laptop-backlight-control.152659/

As it seems though, my trackpad stopped working again, and I know I'm being stubborn, but I tried removing AppleBacklightInjector.kext for this,

Trackpad has nothing to do with brightness controls.

I used the patch because it is in your guide's list of common patches that probably don't harm. The description said 10.8.5+, but then again that is a pretty old version..!

Always a good idea to read the comments within each patch.

I would like to fix sleep. You are right, I should go step by step.

I followed https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.152573/ to install iasl (b9c6c2b) and am running MaciASL RM-1.31 (252.3), is this correct? After redoing this procedure I patched PM6H, and also removed some entries "Name already exists in scope" (BNUM, IDMN, IDPC, DLPN).

Make sure you removed the 'External' for each of those in order to fix that error.
Anything else would be wrong.

After applying either USB PWR fix I still can't sleep, it seems, but maybe I messed it?

You will need to describe the specifics of the sleep problem.

"Problem Reporting" files are incomplete.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back