Contribute
Register

Dell Precision 5820 - Xeon w2125

I will try for USB.

I have sound. But I can't select output. I use Green rear output and black front.

Okay 3 ( green rear ) and 11 (black front) seems to work. Can I put alcid=3,11 in config.plist ?

No, there can only be one layout; it's a global setting. You really have to try all layouts one by one; for each layout, try all outputs one by one in SystemPreferences>Sound (and keep moving your speaker from port to port if you only have one), note what what works, what does not; and pick up the best overall layout at the end. (Murphy's Law: No matter in which order you try, the best setting will come out last.)
There's no way to help you remotely. Only someone who has been through this procedure with the very same motherboard could tell you how Dell has mapped the lines of the audio chip here.

At least you're not trying to map a 7.1 panel with just one speaker… :banghead:
And this only has to be done once and for all.

About USB mapping: Recent versions of Big Sur reportedly broke the process. If you've installed an early version, it should be fine. Otherwise, it may be easier to install Catalina and map there. Again, it's a "once and for all" affair and the USB map is valid in any OS X version.

I finish for USB. I put USB key on all port I want to use and generate a kext.

For sound, I try all layout. I will use the one who works infront and connect and disconnect my speakers or headphones

Thanks a lot for your help !

Sorry for late answer !

Yes ! I Successfully install monterey on my computer.

Still have this problem with sound for choosing front or rear output. But at all it's not my priority.

Thanks a lot for your help

I attach my current EFI folder ;-)

Attachments

• EFI 01:21.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 147
You're welcome! I didn't do much, and cannot help with sound, but if you do post the SysReport folder and a bootlog I can have a look and see what could be improved. (Admittedly, I'm also curious to see what a native NVRAM implementation on C422 looks like.)

Do not forget to switch to OpenCore release, disable SysReport and lower Debug>Target to 3 or less. It will speed up boot time, if only a little. ;)

Edit. If your USBMap includes some USB-C port, they should be type 9 or 10 rather than 3.

These Workstation have a very slow boot time. They takes 15-20s just for the Dell Logo appear.

I attach sysreport and a bootlog ;-)

Attachments

• Bootlog + Sysreport.zip
    113.5 KB · Views: 75
Thanks!
Wow, a 123 ko DSDT. That's light! And very simple to setup.
NVRAM implementation doesn't look different from others I've seen. So I suddenly have a doubt. Installing a Monterey beta is a good sign, but have you tried to create a custom entry in NVRAM to see if it survives across reboots? (Terminal: sudo nvram MYVAR=THIS_IS_A_TEST, reboot, nvram -p and look for your custom variable, which can be anything as long as there was nothing of this name before—so no need to clear beforehand with "nvram -c".)
Else, I just add a SSDT-PMC to fix that and finish an updated EFI with regular OpenCore. Workstation/server boards are typically slow to boot, but not using the debug version will shave one second or two. ;)

Hey all,

I'm having a few lingering problems with my T5820 Hackintosh. I'm running Catalina and it is in the following state:

1. It doesn't seem to boot consistently. It will generally always boot in verbose mode, using the -npci2000 or -npci3000 flag. It won't boot at all without them. And it won't boot without verbose mode... which I find a little weird, and frustrating.

2. USB, audio, network and HDD ports and all of my PCIe devices seem to be working fine.

3. I am still experiencing a strange sluggishness when opening the "about this Mac". It will show all the details, but it will take 2 or 3 seconds for my AMD WX7100 to appear in the list. It just shows a blank space when first opening it.

4. I seem to be hitting a limit of 12 sound devices in my audio midi/sound preference settings? It that a known limitation of OSX? I have an Avid HDX card, Blackmagic Decklink Extreme 3D & RME HDSPe MADI PCIe card in the machine. There are the two or three 3.5mm sound ports in the Dell T5870. I also have a variety of virtual sound cards (Dante Via Stereo & 16 channel, Dolby Audio Bridge). The main problem seems to be the 6(?!? it only have 4 physical ports) HDMI audio outputs associated with the WX7100 which bumps others off. For example - the RME HDSPe control and hardware panel shows the RME MADI card. I can control settings, change sample rates and clock sources... but it doesn't appear anywhere in the system as a usable sound card. If I create a Pro Tools Aggregate device in Audio Midi Settings, the Black Magic Extreme 3D will disappear from the list but still remains accessible through the Blackmagic Pane in preferences.

Strange, eh? Is perhaps point 4 related to point 3 in some way?

5. There seems to be a variety of 'err' messages in verbose mode during the initial loading of OSX, prior to the +++++++

I have tried fumbling my way through clover configurator to see if anything in there might be amiss, but I'm not across all of the functions. The EFI is basically the one Sylvain83 shared for catalina, with a couple of changes. The profile is an iMac Pro 1,1 rather than a Mac Pro 7,1. The drivers and Kexts have been updated to the most recent, where available. It is still built on Clover version 5119, as updating it to 5142 would prevent the machine from booting OSX entirely. It would make it to the 5142 clover screen, but then kernel panic/freeze or crash before getting to the +++++

Any insight, hints or advice would be flipping amazing. It feels like I am so close, but also so far away... haha.

Last edited:
Back