Contribute
Register

Dell Optiplex 9010 SFF mod use WiFi+BT combo with external USB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you using the original FV-HB1200 cable that came with the card? ... Maybe share a picture
Sorry for my delayed reply!

Yes, I am using the original card from the FV-HB1200.

I have attached a photo of the card, with the wires setup (I have them connected in a better way, I uncoiled to make the photo clearer)

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Ta

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-04 at 10.13.26 pm.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-03-04 at 10.13.26 pm.jpg
    490.6 KB · Views: 108

I have attached a photo of the card, with the wires setup (I have them connected in a better way, I uncoiled to make the photo clearer)

Ta

Wondering what version of Mac OS your using!. I used BGG method of attaching my Dual Band BCM94360CS2 PCI-E 867Mbps 802.11AC BT4.0 Wifi PCI-Express Adapter Card in my 9020 SFF. I installed Big Sur using OC and it wasn't until I updated to 11.2 that Bluetooth started working. I bought the adapter though, I didn't do it myself.

Ta
Looks like your wiring is off. The wire colors on your cable which connect to the HB1200 do not match mine, so you should not follow my color description. Rather, follow the position (again, assuming all these cards follow a standard convention.)

So the second position from the top is the D- on your HB1200, and the 3rd is the D+.
Your USB cable White is D-, so connect the White to White.
Your USB cable Green is D+, so connect the Green to Yellow (which is what you have done already).

So you need to change just 1 connection by connecting White to White.

Be sure to first test the USB port on the computer with a known good thumb drive or similar to be sure it is enabled and working before trying your custom cable to the HB1200.

Good luck.

... I used BGG method of attaching ...
Ha! Thanks @craighazan I laughed and smiled so big at this! The BGG! I may have to get a T-shirt, skull cap, and learn some custom hand-signs with my arms crossed! Yo! :). I love it. Thanks for making my day.

Looks like your wiring is off ...

So you need to change just 1 connection by connecting White to White.
You are an absolute champion! Thank you for the clear guidance and instruction. You've absolutely made my week! My Hackintosh experience is now 100% thanks to connecting to my keyboard/trackpad

Ta

I may have to get a T-shirt, skull cap, and learn some custom hand-signs with my arms crossed!
Because the SFF has good hardware, it's advisable to preserve it.

One thing I'd like to mention is that installing a Dell SFF mobo inside a conventional ATX chassis is nearly difficult. The proprietary front I/O connections for audio, USB, lighting, power/reset switches, and so on are enough to give you nightmares! In addition, I'm sure you'll have to perform some significant cutting and drilling to get the mobo to fit on the chassis.

It's not impossible, but it's dangerously near.

Last edited:
@trs96, I use these adapters in both of my builds and they work for months now without any problems.

In the Power Mac G4 build these riser card drives a Wifi / Bluetooth card with PCIe adapter in the PCIe x1 slot below the AMD RX 560.
pcie_riser_for_wifi-card.jpg

In the Power Mac G5 build these Riser card is used to connect a Firewire PCIe card with the PCIe 1x slot below the AMD RX 580.
pcie_riser.jpg

I use these adapters in both of my builds and they work for months now without any problems.
Good to know. They look to be very high quality. For only 10 USD you can't go wrong with these.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back