CPU
i7-4770S
Graphics
HD 4600
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
WiFi+BT combo PCIe cards need a USB connection to enable the Bluetooth function on the card. The PCIe bus does not have USB paths, so PCIe WiFi+BT combo cards have a cable that connects from the card to the computer's internal USB header.

This Dual Band BCM94360CS2 PCI-E 867Mbps 802.11AC BT4.0 Wifi PCI-Express Adapter Card is one example, which works perfectly with hackintoshes.
WiFi+BT combo card.jpg

The Dell Optiplex 9010 Small Form Factor does not have an internal USB header. A solution is to connect is the card to an external USB port. I was inspired and followed this excellent guide [Guide] Install High Sierra or Mojave on the Dell Optiplex 7010 / 9010 Desktop PC - Revision II for the Optiplex 9010 SFF build which necessitated this solution.

There are (at least) three cable solutions:

1) Add an extra internal USB 2.0 header. @trs96 posted a good description of this here.
You can route the cable through an open backplate or cut an opening into the back vent grate.

2) Add a single USB connection using a cable that has USB A to USB 9-pin made header, like this one. I wrote a post about it here.
USB A to 9pin male header.jpg
You can route through the case by the following the method in this post.

3) You can build your own cable!

Take an old USB cable and cut it to be about 8" long from the USB A connector.
IMG_9634.jpeg

Strip back the outer casing, exposing the four wires inside the USB cable.

USB A cables have 4 wires. If the cable follows the standard wiring coloring, the USB data lines are White for DATA- (D-) and Green for DATA+ (D+), Red for +5V, and Black for Ground. Do NOT cut the USB A connector back; this was done in this image (not mine) for illustration purposes only.
usb-wiring-connection.jpg

The BT->USB connector on the WiFi+BT combo card is a JST 1.50mm 4-pin male connector. Purchase some JST 1.50mm 4-pin female connector pigtails (or assemble your own if you wish.)
JST ZH 1.5MM 4 Pin.jpg

These are double connector. Cut them in half. Twice the number of pigtails!

Now for assembly.
IMG_9636.jpegIMG_9641.jpegIMG_9645.jpeg

Now, you can solder, if you have the tools and skill.

Or you can use telephone splice connectors!
IMG_9650.jpegIMG_9656.jpeg

You do NOT need to connect the Red and White wires on the JCT ZH 1.50MM pigtail. I used electrical tape and taped them to the backside of the WiFi+BT combo card. ALSO, carefully bend back the USB cable Red and Black wires onto the USB cable and tape each one separately. The USB Red carries +5V, and the Black is ground; make sure they are covered electrical tape or shrink tubing to ensure they don't accidentally touch anything.
IMG_9657.jpeg

And here is the end result.
IMG_9652.jpegIMG_9654.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice and clean DIY solution for Dell SFF owners, just takes a little bit of cable cutting/slicing and a few low cost parts. Thanks for sharing this technique ! The BT range with these cards is much better than any BT dongle.

Last edited:
Nice and clean DIY solution for Dell SFF owners, just takes a little bit of cable cutting/slicing and a few low cost parts. Thanks for sharing this technique ! The BT range with these cards is much better than any BT dongle.
Have you chosen a solution for your SFF yet? If not, share with me an address and I'll mail you a couple sets of JST and splicers, as a (very small) thank you for your excellent guide and work on tonymacx86. You'll have to provide your own old USB cable :) .

The BT range with these cards is much better than any BT dongle.
Additionally, you get full macOS mojave support for Airplay, Continuity, and Handoff with these PCIe x1 cards, which I don't think is possible with a BT dongle yet?

Have you chosen a solution for your SFF yet? If not, share with me an address and I'll mail you a couple sets of JST and splicers, as a (very small) thank you for your excellent guide and work on tonymacx86. You'll have to provide your own old USB cable :) .
Thanks but I'm using ethernet only right now. Haven't purchased a Wifi/BT card. I tend to prefer using wired keyboard and mouse. I'm kind of old school in that respect. I've got the Apple trackpad but I'm always more comfortable using a mouse. I'm not using laptops and trackpads on those if I don't have to. Guess I'm showing my age. I started using computers back in the later 70's when they were still using paper punch cards, LOL.

Additionally, you get full macOS mojave support for Airplay, Continuity, and Handoff with these PCIe x1 cards, which I don't think is possible with a BT dongle yet?
I've seen some posts saying that they've got it to work with a BT dongle. I've not tried that. I use Android phones instead of iPhones anyway. Don't really like iDevices either.

Here's a new link to the 9 pin male adapter to USB 2.0 cable. The link in the OP no longer works.

They have 28 left as of today.

Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 7.51.46 PM.png

Hi there!

I've tried making my own cable but the "Bluetooth" option still isn't coming up in my "Network settings".

Cables I matched were:
From USB WHITE cord > BLACK cord
From USB GREEN cord > YELLOW cord

I used electrical tape and made sure the unused cables weren't touching.

I've tried two USB cables, and different USB ports.

Think there's a chance I've got a faulty HB1200?

What have I done wrong?

Last edited:
Hi there!

I've tried making my own cable but the "Bluetooth" option still isn't coming up in my "Network settings".

Cables I matched were:

What have I done wrong?
Take a look at the image with the USB cable cut and labelled, the one with the wood-grain background and the white text. Regardless of your particular colors (although all cables should be following the standard colors) you can use the position labels, rather than the colors, to map out your solution.

Hi there!

Cables I matched were:

What have I done wrong?
Are you using the original FV-HB1200 cable that came with the card? In any case, without seeing more, you might swap the D+ and D- connection and see if that works; perhaps you have them reversed. Maybe share a picture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back