Contribute
Register

Dell Optiplex 7020/9020 using OpenCore + Intel HD4600 or AMD graphics

I'm currently reading all the threads, the Golden and the Open Core one included, before diving into the install.
Currently I have WIN11 installed on my 9020 SSD.
Would you recommend me to keep that SDD as is, and use another SDD for the Monterey Install?
Or is it preferable to just wipe this one out? Thanks

Currently I have WIN11 installed on my 9020 SSD.
Would you recommend me to keep that SDD as is, and use another SDD for the Monterey Install?
Or is it preferable to just wipe this one out? Thanks
It's your choice. I keep a Win10 SSD around if I need Windows for some reason. I don't keep it connected at all times. If you run Windows updates with the macOS SSD connected it can potentially cause problems with the EFI partition of the macOS drive.

I checked back at the second hand store all the RAM but none was fit for my Optiplex.
However there was a brand new Crucial MX500 SSD 1tb still sealed at full price.
I inquired and they lowered 1/3 of the price down!
I checked it's health, it it is brand new with zero hours, so I'm all set, I'll keep the WIN11 SSD just in case (it was an old SDD anyway) for eventual Windows use, and Monterey will go on the 1tb in it's place. Thanks for the advice.
I'll upgrade the ram later to full 32gb once I find a good price online.

I'm onto step 2 running OCAT, I notice the profile to generate the SmUUID default to i5, but I'm running a i7 9020.
Should I choose the i7 profile right below instead? (I'm doing the mac mini version as I will use integrated graphics). Thank you.

However there was a brand new Crucial MX500 SSD 1tb still sealed at full price.
Those are very reliable. Never have to worry about them overheating the way that NVMe drives often do.

I'm onto step 2 running OCAT, I notice the profile to generate the SmUUID default to i5, but I'm running a i7 9020.
Should I choose the i7 profile right below instead? (I'm doing the mac mini version as I will use integrated graphics). Thank you.
What I suggest is that you use 1 of 2 methods.

1. Open up the config.plist from the EFI folder (7,1) you downloaded, with OCAT app. Then only click on the SmUUID generate tab. Then save it when prompted. Your SmUUID is then added automatically.

2. Open up OCAT. Generate SmUUID and copy/paste it to the proper field of existing config.plist in the EFI folder (Macmini7,1). Use Plistedit Pro app. If in Windows you'd have to use ProperTree.

The reason there is no generic SmUUID in my EFI folders attached to post #1 is because some people would simply not change it post install. The system would still boot and work normally and they would forget about doing it. Not everyone follows all the instructions to a T. Then they end up having the exact same SmUUID as hundreds of other people that also have not changed it.

In the Apple world SmUUID is called simply Hardware ID. It should be unique to your hack and no other. See the following article.

Once someone just copy/pasted the EFI folder to their USB installer and wondered why they couldn't see the OC boot menu. Tells me instantly that they haven't even bothered to read the first few paragraphs in post #1.

Last edited:
I've added this paragraph to post #2 step #2.

What is a SystemUUID (SmUUID) ? Apple calls this a Hardware UUID. A UUID (Universally Unique Identifier) is a string of letters and digits that forms a unique pattern. Every Mac has one hardware UUID that no other device shares. It’s similar to a serial number in that regard. You need to generate your own custom SmUUID for your hackintosh hardware.

Either GenSMBIOS or OCAT can do this. In Windows, it's easiest to install OCAT and generate the ID.

Last edited:
Thanks, yes I get it, I was just wondering if the other info find on OCAT would need to be adjusted according to the configuration of the PC, and if they had any incidence in the machine performance.
The window right above the SmUUID generate, the systemproductname, default to core i5, and when clicked, there are configurations possible for any other mac (even mac mini i7). I generated the SmUUID, but left the other systemproductname as is. I assume I don't need to change anything beyond your tutorial, as you said in post 56.

I was just wondering if the other info find on OCAT would need to be adjusted according to the configuration of the PC, and if they had any incidence in the machine performance.
All the system info and serial numbers get finalized in step 6. Don't worry about that until you get there. Then you'll fine tune everything and make sure it's accurate.

Last edited:
Back