Contribute
Register

Dell Optiplex 7020/9020 using OpenCore + Intel HD4600 or AMD graphics

The downside to using an AMD card and disabling Legacy Option ROMs is that wake from sleep will not work. You'll always get a black screen after trying to wake your OptiMac and need to reboot to remedy this every time.
Hi! My optihack uses a AMD RX570 card, DP to a 4k monitor, but wake from sleep doesn´t work with Monterrey Mac Mini 7,1.

So what Bios, config, and OS do you recommend to make it work? Legacy Rom enabled? Big Sur or Monterrey? It's not clear to me. My actual solution is to disable Sleep :) Thanks for your help in this forum.

My optihack uses a AMD RX570 card, DP to a 4k monitor, but wake from sleep doesn´t work with Monterrey Mac Mini 7,1.
Wake from sleep has never worked for anyone when using an AMD GPU in their OptiMac. No known solution. It does work when using the iGPU only. Keeping sleep disabled is the best option.

Good news for Dell Optiplex owners. Chrome OS flex is now fully supported on the 7020 and 9020 Optiplex models, all form factors. It will get all security updates through 2026. It can be run from a flash drive or any external drive via a USB adapter. Even if your macOS version gets out of support before 2026 you can still run flex on these machines with the latest up to date security. Use it for things like online banking and shopping.

Screen Shot 2022-07-16 at 2.47.03 PM.png

Chrome OS is much more immune to malware and hacking than Windows 10 is. 10 will lose all security updates in October of 2025. You won't want to be using it after that point. macOS Monterey will keep getting security patches from Apple in 2023 and 2024 and is still perfectly safe to use. After that you can keep using it and do things online that require the utmost security with Chrome OS Flex from Google. After Safari for Monterey is no longer supported around 2025/26 you can always use Firefox with Monterey as it continues to receive updates long after Safari stops getting them.

Last edited:
If you will be using HD4600 as your primary graphics, you must first check whether Intel ME is enabled or not. Open up the side panel and on the inner side of it, you'll find a white sticker attached there. It should display a large 1 (enabled).

I'm ready to order a 7020, but I can't reach the seller for confirmation on this one. Is the 1 thing very common, or is the lottery and I may have to send it back? Thanks.

I'm ready to order a 7020, but I can't reach the seller for confirmation on this one. Is the 1 thing very common, or is the lottery and I may have to send it back? Thanks.
It doesn't happen that much. Every single one I've ordered has been a 1. It may be only a one in a thousand occurence. Just make sure that whomever you buy from gives you 30 or 90 day return rights.

Thank you. On second hand sites I asked some private sellers, and one excellent bargain was actually a 3 ! Others have been one.

The 3s are usually from a government agency. If they buy up a large lot from one, they might have all 3s.

I found a pristine 9020 from a reseller for 129 bucks. He had it at a higher price with a 1tb HDD, but I told him I didn't need it, and he shaved 40 bucks off the price. I already have an old SSD and a Win10 USB, so I'll install Windows myself. He will ship next week so I can't wait.
For seller information, he was the only one I contacted over ebay that took the time to check the number 1 under the hood. Another seller who had tons of 9020 at a higher price (230 to 280 bucks), refused to check, and refused to dismiss the HDD and lower the price. There you go!

Last edited:
I found a pristine 9020 from a reseller for 129 bucks and he shaved 40 bucks off the price.
Less than you paid for your Elite 8000 ?

No the original Elite 8000 I paid 79 bucks for it back in 2016. (After reading your guide!).
It had a 250gb HDD, a PC mouse and Keyboard, I sold the HDD for 10 bucks and the mouse and keyboard for 10 bucks. So I essentialy paid 59 bucks for it, and it served for 6 years. I say it was a pretty good bang for the buck.

Back