Contribute
Register

Dell Optiplex 7020/9020 SFF Desktops at Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Core i5-4570 16 GB / 512 GB SSD version is now down to $144 thanks to competition from many sellers. How low can it go ? Probably lower than this but not by a lot. One of the best starter PCs to use to get some experience with a hackintosh install and use for general purpose content consumption.

Screen Shot 18.jpg

I also have a dell optiplex 9020 SFF I did not know that it is a golden build for mac os. It was just lying around deep in my basement. Currently, it has 8 GB of ram installed using it's factory RAM but I can add additional RAM from another desktop build. Also, I have a samsung SSD that is 1 TB. I want to run mac os monterey, possibly even Ventura. Am I good to proceed? here is the specifications from windows 11 using this computer.

dell.jpg

dell 2.jpg
dell 3.jpg

You'll need to follow the steps in this guide, the Monterey version. All your hardware looks to be compatible.
Make sure to change the hidden UEFI settings before installing. Use the Macmini7,1 EFI folder.

The core i5-4570 7020 has come down a lot since August 31st. Over 46 dollars less. Get one for under 99 USD. Nice deal.

Seller is Abys Electronics. Once you add a new 500GB SSD for macOS and a 16gb ram kit you'll still be under 180 dollars for the complete build.

Screen Shot 4.jpg

Screen Shot 9.jpg

Screen Shot 13.jpg

All are equally good. Pick the one that has the best selection of ports and connectors for your needs.
If you want to eventually upgrade to Ventura get the HP 600 G3 with at least a core i5-7500. i7-7700 is better.
I just got an HP 600 G3 with i5-7500... is there some installation guide? I cannot boot with OC (or Clover).

I just got an HP 600 G3 with i5-7500... is there some installation guide?
I've not seen a guide for that model here. You could follow the Dortania guide for Kaby Lake based PCs.
The OC Gen-X app works well to help you with the EFI folder creation specific for Kaby Lake. Find it on Github.

Can you single drive triple boot these?
Theoretically yes, but I wouldn't go that route. At least have macOS on one drive and Linux/Windows on another.

1667267713099.png

Many people are venturing off to Ventura 13.0. Will these Dell 7020/9020s work ? They're not natively supported. Some people are trying to patch HD4600 to get Ventura running but I don't see that as an acceptable solution. Too many compromises.

If you feel you must have the latest Ventura, then buy the Dell Optiplex 7050 instead. The i5-7500/7700 CPU has supported HD630 graphics. You won't pay a lot more and your system will be much more secure when running Ventura. You'll leave SIP enabled and not have to break the SSV (sealed system volume).

Be careful to not buy a 7050 with the i5-6500. The HD530 iGPU is not supported in Ventura. Here's an example:
  • Manufacturer/Model: Dell Optiplex 7050MT
  • Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz
  • Memory Installed: 8 GB DDR4
You can follow the standard Dortania Kaby Lake guide and create an EFI folder. Not really that difficult. Use either
the iMac 18,2 or 18,3 SMBIOS as those were Kaby Lake based and some even utilized the i5-7500 or i7-7700. One more benefit of these Kaby Lake Optiplex models is the built in NVMe slot. You can install your own drive and get fast read write speeds. The 7020/9020 doesn't have native NVMe support or a slot on the board.

Stage Manager and Continuity Camera are neat new features. I don't think I'd ever use them personally. Other than those and a redesign of System Prefs. (now called Settings) it's mostly the same as Monterey. Remember that you'll need a supported Wifi BT card for Continuity Camera to work on your Hackintosh.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back