Contribute
Register

Dell Optiplex 7020/9020 SFF Desktops at Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible to make it a full hackintosh? I read all the specs and it should work.

I would like to install Monterey.
Yes I would recommend you follow the guide and install Big Sur first. You can then easily upgrade to Monterey later when the bugs are all fixed by Apple. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...0-9020-optiplex-desktops.302383/#post-2161655

The only change to the Big Sur guide you'll need is to choose Macmini 7,1 instead of 15,1 if you want Monterey later. iMac15,1 is not supported in Monterey, for what reason, IDK.
I read that there is a problem with unlocking cfg in bios or something like that, is it mandatory to run macos?
It's very easy to do this, just follow the guide. It's required for Big Sur and Monterey.

Last edited:
Recently picked up two SFF'd with 500GB spinning disks @ 35€/piece, and two with factory 256 GB SSD's @ 50€/piece.
Didn't really need them, but, heck, at those prices. That obviously was exceptionally cheap, but still, the 9020 MT I use as my daily Optimac.
Yes, you can sometimes find those really low prices on an Optiplex that hasn't been refurbished. It usually takes a lot of work to make them functional via cleaning and hardware upgrades. When buying from a registered with Microsoft Refurbisher, like SkyTech on Amazon, it's all ready to go once you open the box. It's more like buying new. The ones I've gotten have all been like new with no dents or scratches. I want mine to look good and to function 100% out of the box. It's worth paying some extra cash to have that buying experience.

Yes I would recommend you follow the guide and install Big Sur first. You can then easily upgrade to Monterey later when the bugs are all fixed by Apple. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...0-9020-optiplex-desktops.302383/#post-2161655

The only change to the Big Sur guide you'll need is to choose iMac16,2 instead of 15,1 if you want Monterey later. iMac15,1 is not supported in Monterey, for what reason, IDK.

It's very easy to do this, just follow the guide. It's required for Big Sur and Monterey.
Thank you, i bought it, when it arrives i will try!

Thanks,

Andyapple

Hi Guys,
I have an OptiPlex 7040 and am directly interested.
Is the 7040 much different to the 7020?

Is the 7040 much different to the 7020?
Yes, it is Skylake based. 2 gens newer than Haswell. You'd need to follow a specific 7040 guide as my EFI doesn't work on your 7040.

Dell Optiplex 3020 SFF for $154 on Amazon

These are Haswell H81 based desktops that perform similarly to the 7020/9020. You can save almost 100 dollars on the list price. You only lose some USB ports and get a Realtek LAN port instead of Intel. Other than that they give you a hackintosh experience just like the higher end 7020/9020 destkops with the Q87 chipset. Use the HD4600 iGPU and install any macOS from Mavericks up through Monterey.

The number of sales of these on Amazon keeps going up. People realize that these are more reliable and well built than most of the new PCs you can buy off the shelf. So why not save the $300 to $400 on the PC and spend it on a good 27" 4K monitor ?

Screen_Shot.jpg

Price from Skytech USA has come back down to under $239. They've got more than 200 left.

Screen Shot 16.jpg

Screen Shot 7.jpg

Price from Skytech is still under $239 on Dec. 23rd. Lots of them in stock.

Hi, and thanks for sharing your advices. Making a Good Hackintosh at these low prices is a dream.

I found this here in Italy, on Amazon at a good price:

Computer Dell Optiplex 7020 SFF Intel Core i5-4440 Ram 8GB DDR3 Hard Disk 500GB DVD-ROM USB 3.0 Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit (Refurbished)​

Is it possible to make it a full hackintosh? I read all the specs and it should work.

I would like to install Monterey.

I will add just an ssd and Not a dGPU.

I read that there is a problem with unlocking cfg in bios or something like that, is it mandatory to run macos?

Thanks a lot,

Andyapple
Hi @trs96 I wanted to tell you merry christmas and update you with news.

I bought the dell 7020 from Amazon Italy, I setup bios settings from shell and installed ssd.

I successully installed monterey and everything is working! I wanted to say thank you for making this low cost high quality hackintosh!

Thanks,
Andyapple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back