Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Dell Optiplex 7020 - 4K monitors on Intel 4600 Integrated GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clean built a MiniTower with Catalina, pretty much as instructions (later versions of clover and kexts) with amends for gpu settings - all works as expected with Intel Power Gadget throwing in the only odd things-

EDIT. The i5 4440 in it has a
I have a i5 4590 in this
3.3/3.5 Turbo top speed but IPG shows it turning at 3.5Ghz but often shows 3.7 </edit>

also shows core min at 700Mhz - min on chip is 800Mhz
and gpu at 200Mhz when min is 350

Others have reported similar - be nice if the IPG reporting was true but I suspect not.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-08-02 at 20.47.41.png
    Screenshot 2020-08-02 at 20.47.41.png
    175.6 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
The i5 4440 in it has a
3.1 / 3.3 Turbo top speed but IPG shows it turning at 3.5Ghz (and once showed 3.7!)
That's a hefty over clock for 4440. Max turbo of 3.3 GHz according to Intel. Have you tried it without plugintype=true ?

Screen Shot 11.jpg

Have you tried it without plugintype=true ?
Sorry - I have a i5-4590 in this. Cant remember ever having one of those, no idea where I got it from.

Currently, not seeing the lower frequencies in IPGadget in Catalina and playing with kernel auto patch settings.

Clean built a MiniTower with Catalina, pretty much as instructions (later versions of clover and kexts) with amends for gpu settings - all works as expected with Intel Power Gadget throwing in the only odd things-

EDIT. The i5 4440 in it has a
I have a i5 4590 in this
3.3/3.5 Turbo top speed but IPG shows it turning at 3.5Ghz but often shows 3.7 </edit>

also shows core min at 700Mhz - min on chip is 800Mhz
and gpu at 200Mhz when min is 350

Others have reported similar - be nice if the IPG reporting was true but I suspect not.

Re. GPU clock as far as I understand it's because different Mac models have different base clocks. SMBIOS 14,3 and 15,1 have a 200 Mhz base clock and 14,4 and some others have a 750mhz base clock. According to the Intel spec this should be 350 Mhz, but underclocking isn't necessarily bad (e.g., temp/energy usage).

Edit: Source, Zearp's testing on their GitHub

@mgrimace - Thanks for the clock info but Im not sure Zearp's right on this (but he does seem to know what he's talking about generally). Clock ratios can be tweaked a bit but never seen anything reporting that people could halve the speed. I suspect that the speeds are being misreported. When in Mojave the CPU did go down to 800Mhz and Ive not managed that with Catalina. What does your Intel Power Gadget show on its graph when its been resting for a while - mine gets to about 1.4Ghz average, which is not great but Ive fiddled as much as I can for a while so it will have to do.

Rebuilt to Catalina - using Unibeast and current Multibeast to install Clover, 15,1 sys-defs and Intel network. Then copied over the attached files into /EFI/Clover (merged with existing). Clover has been fiddled a bit - removing all CPU power management patches (serial numbers not tested, please change them before use). All seems ok except clock speeds which don't seem to go down to 800mhz for the cpu and the gpu reports very low clock speeds except when in use when it seems to behave as advertised.

Attachments

• dell7020CloverFolder.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 72
  • Screenshot 2020-08-03 at 12.16.01.png
    Screenshot 2020-08-03 at 12.16.01.png
    72.5 KB · Views: 58
@mgrimace - Thanks for the clock info but Im not sure Zearp's right on this (but he does seem to know what he's talking about generally). Clock ratios can be tweaked a bit but never seen anything reporting that people could halve the speed. I suspect that the speeds are being misreported. When in Mojave the CPU did go down to 800Mhz and Ive not managed that with Catalina. What does your Intel Power Gadget show on its graph when its been resting for a while - mine gets to about 1.4Ghz average, which is not great but Ive fiddled as much as I can for a while so it will have to do.

Intel Power gadget reports about the same thing you're seeing (Catalina 10.15.6; i5 4590): Core Average is 1.4-1.5 Ghz on the lowest end (i.e., most apps closed), and anywhere from 2.5-3.2 with my regular use. Core Max 3.7, Core Min 0.7.

Intel Power gadget reports about the same thing ...
Thanks for looking. Just tried it with Piker Alphas utility in Hackintool and it reports the GPU running at 200Mhz too, that utility works by running in the background and reporting what clock speeds it actually sees (at least for the cpu) and I know Piker Alpha is highly regarded in this area so seems likely my doubts are my problem. It also shows that the clock CPU clock speeds to sometimes run at 800Mhz (it could be that they never get there with Intel Power Gadget running because it is running) but there are a set of clock speeds between 800-2400 that dont show up as being used with Piker Alphas utility.

Not sure what settings you have in OpenCore but in Clover it seems that I get the most variation in cpu clock speeds by not having any of the cpu patches in place.

Last edited:
Been reading a bit and not quite understanding whats going on with Plugin Type - The relationship between 'PluginType', 'Plugin Type' and ACPI table patching.
My understanding is that we need;
ACPI-Generate Options PluginType = Yes
DSDT - Plugin Type = 1
and a patch that maps Apple ACPI to CPU0 or PR00.

But not sure, if this has already been done or how to find out if it should be CPU0 or PR00 on these dells.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back