Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Dell Optiplex 7020 - 4K monitors on Intel 4600 Integrated GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also is this only possible with OC bootloader and not with Clover ?

I am using OpenCore; however, this should work in Clover. @0xd1ab10 are you using clover can you confirm?

I did some reading to make sure:

According to WhatEverGreen (source: https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/blob/master/Manual/FAQ.IntelHD.en.md) you can inject properties for patches using either Clover or OpenCore. To inject properties, use Devices-Properties section for Clover or DeviceProperties section for OpenCore in config.plist. That's a highly technical document, so I also spent some time in the Idiot's Guide found on this forum looking at WhatEverGreen IGPU manual configuration (scroll down to Chapter 4). Device Properties are defined in Clover's config.plist under Devices -> Properties section and a property consists of a name and a data value. As far as I can tell the names and data values are the same for both OC and Clover.

You can add Device Properties by directly editing your config.plist file using a code editor (I use ProperTree).

TL;DR should work in Clover as well since it's a WEG thing not an OC thing, but need someone to test/confirm

1st post edited to default DVMT to 64MB

The three values that I added to DeviceProperties in the config.plist:
Just made the 3 changes listed to a SFF which was built some time ago with the instructions from 1st post running Mojave (10.14.5) and changed the dvmt to 64MB (cfgLock already done). Came straight up as 4k.

Last edited:
@nicksoph
if possible, can you try change dvmt to 32MB in bios and see if it still works?
I tried, somehow dvmt=32MB in bios + the 3 changes still works for 4k...now I'm very curious what dvmt in bios do...

@nicksoph
if possible, can you try change dvmt to 32MB in bios and see if it still works?
In the process of upgrading to Catalina so will do a bit later, - What would you like to try in settings in firmware - eg
  • If you've set your BIOS DVMT to 64mb use the value 00000004
set to 00000002 for 32MB?

In the process of upgrading to Catalina so will do a bit later, - What would you like to try in settings in firmware - eg
  • If you've set your BIOS DVMT to 64mb use the value 00000004
set to 00000002 for 32MB?

where did you change for this part "changed the dvmt to 64MB (cfgLock already done)" ? is it in BIOS or framebuffer-stolenmem -> data 00000004 (64mb)?

if it's in BIOS, can you try set it to 32MB in BIOS but still keep framebuffer-stolenmem -> data 00000004 (64mb)? if you didn't change BIOS, then nvm, no need to do any testing.

@0xd1ab10 Made the changes to the clover build in post 1 and got 4k on Mojave. Did in an in place upgrade from Mojave to Catalina that went a bit wrong during reboots so had to fiddle and installed new version of clover along the way, all seems fine. Changed the firmware setting for DVMT to 32MB (0x263 set to 1) rebooted and it came up just the same!?

We are told that OSX needs 64mb of dvmt and without fully testing it, it seems that may not be the case here.
Unless we can get a test that shows absolutely that 64mb is needed I intend to reset it to 64mb for fear of problems further down the road.
seems like it might be - Opened Clover with 32mb dvmd set and it opened but everything in the windows was transparent until clicked on when the selected bit highlighted as black. Set back to 64mb and alls well.

Last edited:
Opened Clover with 32mb dvmt set and it opened but everything in the windows was transparent until clicked on when the selected bit highlighted as black. Set back to 64mb and alls well.
Did you make the change to 32MB DVMT in the firmware or only via Devices->Properties in the Clover config.plist ? I don't have a 4K monitor with DP input to test myself. Only a 4K TV with HDMI 2.0 input. As you know adapting DP to HDMI is not going to yield good results.

@trs96 made the changes only in firmware. Not tested dual monitors but otherwise all good and full res at 60hz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back